• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Aratanine Principles of Magic - The Duality of Magic

ARATANINE PRINCIPLES OF MAGIC

In this WIP, I have been trying out some new things to explore the nature of the magic systems deeper.

This magic system is heavily based on the Aratanine Principles. In other words, it is the concept of duality which is a mutual collaboration between stasis and change. It was derived from the core concept of Wan-Gesh, a combining aspect of time and space believed to govern the cosmos. In terms of practical magic yet instead of typical magicka-based magical exhaustion, a said magic is expressed through three main cooperative mediums: Caster, Limit, and Will.

Caster is anything sentient that can harness the power of the cosmic laws in integrating one’s magical capabilities to emit an effect, either physical or abstract, directly or indirectly.

Limit is a sub-aspect of stasis and opposition that is potential to weaken the efficiency and effectiveness of the casted magic.

Will is a sub-aspect of change and flow that is potential to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of the casted magic.

Generally, one’s magical abilities are governed by Limit as well as Will of that caster. There are two main laws: Internality and Externality. The diagram below summarizes the basic principles of the magic system.

Image link:
http://i65.tinypic.com/2zjdpfm.png

Do provide constructive feedbacks that can aid in my work, appreciated.

Further references that influence my work:
Dualism (philosophy of mind) - Wikipedia
Brandon Sanderson - Wikipedia
Brandon Sanderson

Extra note: Anyone who cannot quite understand it do ask freely. I will listen to the doubts you all have...

Forgive me if I'm putting it in simple terms, but would it be fair to say that the basis of your magic is the impact of two opposing cosmic forces? I can't think of a proper metaphor to explain what I mean...something like a chemical reaction but on a metaphysical level? Hell, just saying it already sounds cool [emoji54]

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Forgive me if I'm putting it in simple terms, but would it be fair to say that the basis of your magic is the impact of two opposing cosmic forces? I can't think of a proper metaphor to explain what I mean...something like a chemical reaction but on a metaphysical level? Hell, just saying it already sounds cool [emoji54]

In my WIP, I believe that everyone including sentient species besides humankind can have access to magics, the limit is that their magical powers are bound to these dualistic factors.

Aratanine Principles are my own version of driving “regulations and natures” that governs the usage of magics in a dualistic fashion. The word “Aratanine” is derived from the word “Aran” and “Atan”, which mean Flow and Oppose respectively. These principles apply to most magic variations but not all. It compromises of two laws: First Law of Internality and Second Law of Externality.

First Law of Internality:
It states that within a “spirit” of a caster, one’s efficiency and effectiveness in performing a cast is based on the inductive progression of Will and Limit. Every individual caster has their own levels of spiritual capabilities according to their natural will, higher spiritual powers mean higher magical stamina, hence the said Will from a caster is a direct force to enable the emission of magical powers. In contrast, Limit inhibits the swiftness of a caster to emit a magic in terms of one’s negative tendencies and inclination of bad actions (except for a few denominations of dark magics especially necromancy).

Second Law of Externality:
It states that within the very essence of a casted magic, its efficiency and effectiveness are based on the influence of external environments which mainly includes the dualistic forces of Flow and the Oppose. Besides considering the aspects that lie within a caster’s might, external factors also affect the magical output from the caster. This may include another caster’s magical capabilities, the environment (the energies that flow within the space and time), and so on. For example, a caster summons a flame towards another caster, and that targeted caster uses stronger magical spell to counteract with the first caster’s one, cancelling the flame out. Weaker flame spell against a stronger flame spell, can be described as a casted magic with a lesser Flow is cancelled by another casted magic with a higher Oppose (in perspective from the first caster).

So yeah, it is basically a metaphysical approach of explaining magic in my sense. I agree with your metaphor stated above. These kind of magics are very difficult for conventional usage though, as most people are more inclined to material life instead of spiritual life, in which largely affect the population of such magicians in my universe of the WIP. In some lesser extent, some people who want to still cast magics because they think it's cool, cope this problem by creating magic scrolls that can cast a spell easily without giving out too much effort on balancing one's spiritual intelligence to do so.

Perhaps later on, I will further explain the revolution of magic of my WIP in my later posts. For now, my brainstorming can be said it's more than enough. Anyway, thanks for your sincere reply and I am very appreciated for that.

In my WIP, I believe that everyone including sentient species besides humankind can have access to magics, the limit is that their magical powers are bound to these dualistic factors.

Aratanine Principles are my own version of driving “regulations and natures” that governs the usage of magics in a dualistic fashion. The word “Aratanine” is derived from the word “Aran” and “Atan”, which mean Flow and Oppose respectively. These principles apply to most magic variations but not all. It compromises of two laws: First Law of Internality and Second Law of Externality.

First Law of Internality:
It states that within a “spirit” of a caster, one’s efficiency and effectiveness in performing a cast is based on the inductive progression of Will and Limit. Every individual caster has their own levels of spiritual capabilities according to their natural will, higher spiritual powers mean higher magical stamina, hence the said Will from a caster is a direct force to enable the emission of magical powers. In contrast, Limit inhibits the swiftness of a caster to emit a magic in terms of one’s negative tendencies and inclination of bad actions (except for a few denominations of dark magics especially necromancy).

Second Law of Externality:
It states that within the very essence of a casted magic, its efficiency and effectiveness are based on the influence of external environments which mainly includes the dualistic forces of Flow and the Oppose. Besides considering the aspects that lie within a caster’s might, external factors also affect the magical output from the caster. This may include another caster’s magical capabilities, the environment (the energies that flow within the space and time), and so on. For example, a caster summons a flame towards another caster, and that targeted caster uses stronger magical spell to counteract with the first caster’s one, cancelling the flame out. Weaker flame spell against a stronger flame spell, can be described as a casted magic with a lesser Flow is cancelled by another casted magic with a higher Oppose (in perspective from the first caster).

So yeah, it is basically a metaphysical approach of explaining magic in my sense. I agree with your metaphor stated above. These kind of magics are very difficult for conventional usage though, as most people are more inclined to material life instead of spiritual life, in which largely affect the population of such magicians in my universe of the WIP. In some lesser extent, some people who want to still cast magics because they think it's cool, cope this problem by creating magic scrolls that can cast a spell easily without giving out too much effort on balancing one's spiritual intelligence to do so.

Perhaps later on, I will further explain the revolution of magic of my WIP in my later posts. For now, my brainstorming can be said it's more than enough. Anyway, thanks for your sincere reply and I am very appreciated for that.
So if every person has access to magic, how does the world function? Are low forms of magic used on a mundane level to assist individuals with their daily chores? Are their sports which use magic? I'm assuming that high forms of magic would exist with people that have high Will and that these would be the "wizards", if so, is high Will a natural talent, or is it something you train? Maybe a little bit of both?

So if every person has access to magic, how does the world function? Are low forms of magic used on a mundane level to assist individuals with their daily chores? Are their sports which use magic? I'm assuming that high forms of magic would exist with people that have high Will and that these would be the "wizards", if so, is high Will a natural talent, or is it something you train? Maybe a little bit of both?

Note: It is a work in progress so there will be a lot of space for improvement. I am trying to explain as summarized as possible.

In one of my world's setting, exists a community where this kind of magic thrive abundantly. Aratanine magic has long existed since long ago, hence the period of abundance of this magic system is known as the "magical renaissance", or Old Times. In terms of sport you mentioned, yeah, there is a sport in which one of the primary medium is magic (while others are archery, blades etc.), coined as the Games of Merit. Games of Merit involve challenging candidates to perform skills in terms of health, stamina as well as Aratanine force (magicka or manga in simpler terms); and their awards including nobility of status or wealth, hence the term "merit". The candidates (who main in magic part of the Games) with higher Will within their respective Force are also eligible to sign up for membership of the Aratanine Academy, built by veteran archmages of this field specifically to further study deeper magical knowledge especially Aratanine in nature. However, in the fictional consensus states that there are a steady decline of magicians of such kind which causes emergence of different social classes between the populace of the region. People with lesser Will tend to be skilled in more material jobs such as trader, conventional bladesman, archery etc.; people with moderate Will tend to help others conventionally by using "casual" magic spells in their daily lives; while people with higher Will tend to apply their magical powers on scholar or administrative purposes. Scrolls are scarce not until the Magic Revolution, but before it happens most magic scrolls are kept in Imnonite Archive, a library where important books are stored under strict protection.

Generally, yes, Aratanine magic can be trained naturally but in cost of time and energy, or come as a natural gift . And sometimes existence of "non-magical" sentience is also possible, or a little of both as you already said.

R.H. Smith

Minstrel
Hey Tangle Shine,

Me likey. I kind of get the feeling you are trying to do opposing dualities that complement each other and keep things on an even keel, sort of like yin and yan? One cannot exist without the other? And if this is the case, does religion play any part in it? Very interesting. I am kind of equating Will to ones inner Chi.

Hey Tangle Shine,

Me likey. I kind of get the feeling you are trying to do opposing dualities that complement each other and keep things on an even keel, sort of like yin and yan? One cannot exist without the other? And if this is the case, does religion play any part in it? Very interesting. I am kind of equating Will to ones inner Chi.

Applying metaphysical aroma into the religious periods (known as Pre-New Times) has its own challenging approach in my perspective. According to my WIP, Old Times is the second longest timeline known to mankind in planet Mohaert before Ancient Times. During this timeline, it has a long history of magic development by the fundamentalist archmages and sorcerers resurfaced from the ruins of the former Empire; and the melting pot of agrarian civilizations (called Arulia) after the Empire and during the cataclysmic event known as the World Winter that dotted the end of Ancient Times. There are many magical branches born after the World Winter, among many of them are the Aratanine Pioneers.

Simply said, the Pioneers' vision is to revive and reform the previous magic system believed to be used by the Ancient Yaws in Beyond Times (a primordial era in which time is not linear yet), and they institute their reformation through religious mediums. So yeah, their influence is highly undeniable during the Old Times before their eventual collapse by the Verosates (revolutionists) who initiate the beginning of New Times, the age of machination and reason.

By the way, still thanks for your sincere reply... :3

Last edited: