1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Best music for writing fantasy?

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by Mythic Scribes, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Sheilawisz

Sheilawisz Queen of Titania Moderator

I get loads of inspiration from listening to Leaves' Eyes when I write my fantasy stories, especially these songs:

1- Elegy
    2- Skraelings
    3- Norwegian Lovesong
    4- The Thorn
    5- Twilight Sun
    6- A Winter Poem
    7- Misseri

Sheila

2. RobW

RobW Acolyte

3. I definitely suggest Immediate Music and Future World Music. Most music can be distracting while writing, but I find this is only so when the songs do not have a sort of mystical aura. These two mix instrumentals and choir to make songs that range from truly epic to airy and fantastic. Also, try the Dragon Age II and Dragon Age: Origins soundtrack. Fenris's Theme. That's all that needs to be said. It makes you feel like you're walking on air.

4. Ghost

Ghost Inkling

When I'm writing, I prefer music with interesting instrumental parts and simpler vocals if there are any. Classical and progressive folk are good for me. Sometimes I'll go with what I listen to normally, but I can get distracted and sing along or fiddle with the playlist. I like Kurt Atterberg because his music makes me think of a movie without calling to mind a certain one. I also like Tenhi and Hoelderlin.

I don't know why it matters to me since the music gets zoned out when I'm completely focused.

5. Ceresz

Ceresz Acolyte

Currently I've been listening to a lot of Sigur Rós when conlanging and/or writing. Their music always seems to get me into the creative mood. I've also been listening to Chopin a lot more than I used to, especially his Nocturnes.

6. Nyx

Nyx Scribe

As music is my muse, I listen to a lot of music. Currently though I have been tuning into the Anime music over on a shoutcast station and it is amazing what that station has done for my fantasy series that I thought I could never write. I can post the link to the direct shoutcast, if I am allowed, as well as link to the directory of Jpop where there are loads of anime music stations.

7. Masronyx

Masronyx Minstrel

Music? For me, it all depends on what mood I'm in, and depends on my work at the time.
    School work? That would be George Gershwin, Paul Whiteman,or Peggy Lee.
    Writing fiction/non-fiction? As previously stated, depends on my mood. I have an eclectic collection, Florence + the Machine, Pink Floyd, Neko Case, Black Sabbath... Basically, what ever blocks out the rest of the world so I can get something done. Sometimes I have a hard time focusing no matter what anyway, so music doesn't usually help with that...:D

8. Xarxium

Xarxium Acolyte

Ehh, I like to listen to a nice orchestra. Especially the soundtrack to Skyrim! Hehe, I'm a nerd.

9. Sparkie

Sparkie Auror

I'll listen to almost anything. Old school R&B, classic rock, jazz, blues, techno, anything goes. Except for when I'm writing a really intense action scene. Then I put on Metallica's S&M album. It's the only music I can to listen to when people are killing and dying in my mind. Lately I've been playing a lot of Solar Fields type stuff on Pandora, but that's just a phase. I like almost all types of music.

10. Erica

Erica Minstrel

I have a huge mix of music of varying genres on my ipod and my computer. Most of it's older rock type music and some classical, but there's a real mix. I have a bunch of songs that reflect some of the emotions/themes relating to what I'm writing, so I'll put that on if I need a bit of a muse.

11. madhatter

madhatter New Member

We Don't need another hero by Tina Turner. If you listen to the lyrics you get fantasy scenes popping into your head.

12. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

I have several lists of songs that inspire me to write about certain characters or situations. Within Temptation gives me a lot of inspiration for a lot of dark stuff, as does Nox Arcana. For lighter stuff I tend toward Enya, Loreena McKennitt and the like.

13. Twook00

Twook00 Sage

When writing, I usually turn on Pandora and listen to film scores (game of thrones or LOTR or some Tim Burton movie) or classical guitar (Andres Segovia is great).

For inspiration: Tool, APC, Mastodon, Alter Bridge, Deftones… too many to tell really.

14. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

I've seen Mastodon play live a few times. Good stuff. One show, Baroness was opening, and then the Baroness guys came out and played with Mastodon. Was pretty cool. :)

15. Twook00

Twook00 Sage

Mastodon is amazing. Quickly becoming one of my favorites. I'll have to check out Baroness!

16. Steerpike

Dude, check it out :)

Also, I had a beer with the singer and other guitarist after the show, and they're just really nice guys.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
    Twook00 likes this.
  17. Twook00

Twook00 Sage

Hey, that's good stuff. And the cover art on those videos is epic.

18. Steerpike

Yeah, I like the cover art for their albums. I have both the red and blue albums, and both are excellent.

19. Mostly movie soundtracks:

Tron Legacy
    Inception
    The Lord of the Rings (all three)
    Pirates of the Caribbean (first three)
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Fincher version)
    Harry Potter (1-5)
    Star Wars (all six)

My NIP was written while listening to these albums about 50 times each. Pretty much anything without words works, though.

20. Mindfire

Mindfire Istar

I do this to. Film scores: anything from Batman, Transformers, Star Wars, Narnia, LOTR, The Last Airbender (bad movie, great music, go figure) and just about anything by Hans Zimmer. Also just about anything by Immediate Music, Globus, Celtic Woman, Yanni, Enya, or Karl Jenkins. A little bit of Nightwish, and the Skyrim theme every so often.

Also, I find a bunch of songs that really stick with me and then sort them into categories to associate them with different nations, landscapes, or characters. Then i listen to those themes when writing those places or characters. Just like in a movie, a character's motif can help you remember and emphasize their traits in a way that a simple list of characteristics can't do.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012