1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Best music for writing fantasy?

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by Mythic Scribes, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Varamyrr

Varamyrr Minstrel

This is pretty much what I'm listening aswell. However, an occasional Vivaldo/Beethoven/Mozart is not that bad either

2. Mindfire

Mindfire Istar

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
  3. studentofrhythm

studentofrhythm Minstrel

Anyone here listen to Sigur Rós? Their special EP of Saeglópur is very evocative. I think (), Takk and Valtari would set nice fantasy moods too.

Also, go on youtube and search for Jordi Savall. This guy has been playing renaissance and baroque music in several ensembles for years and you can find a lot of his recordings there.

One good Medieval ensemble I've found recently is Alba. I particularly enjoy their Die Tenschen Morder. There's also Ensemble Orientis Partibus -- I've heard their O Roma Nobilis which has become one of my favorites. Gregorio and Eduardo Paniagua's Musique Arabo-Andalouse has long been a favorite too. I also love Magnificentia Iberica's Music of Medieval Spain.

4. Ghost

Ghost Inkling

Oh, me! Me me me! They're definitely up there for zoning out music. I like Promise and the Monster's Transparent Knives and Rio en Medio's Frontier LP for that as well. I'd recommend Efterklang if you like Sigur Rós. Parades or Under Giant Trees are good albums to start. I'd think they're good for writing fantasy or science fiction. :)

studentofrhythm likes this.
  5. topazfire

topazfire Minstrel

I tend to look for songs where the mood and lyrics echo the place or the moment that my characters are experiencing. If it is some sort of epic battle then I certainly turn to a lot of the soundtracks already mentioned. When it is a specific scene between a couple of characters, especially if they are in different places emotionally, I listen to music that I feel represents them at the time.

I actually listen to a lot of indie rock and new alternative rock with some characters, and more mellow stuff with other characters. I have a writing playlist on my iPod that has 50 songs (all of them released within the past 5-10 years) that I draw mood and inspiration from when I write.

6. Bear

Bear Minstrel

I don't listen to music when I write. Sometimes I leave the tv on set to some sort of news or something.

7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Moderator

Yep. They're good.

S.T. Ockenner likes this.
  8. Jabrosky

Jabrosky Banned

It depends largely on my setting's cultural flavor. For an African-themed story I choose either traditional African music or R&B, whereas for something more European-inspired I choose Celtic. For something more modern I would choose metal or techno. Additionally I prefer songs with a faster, more aggressive sound for action scenes.

9. Lawfire

Lawfire Sage

I have a hard time writing while listening to anything with lyrics. However, I like to sit and brainstorm with music on. Usually something heavy and loud.

10. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

studentofrhythm likes this.
  11. ArelEndan

ArelEndan Scribe

I usually listen to Celtic when I write or something relaxed like Josh Groban and Il Divo. I'll switch it up based on mood or culture, too. I've listened to Scottish pipes and drums bands when writing action, contemporary pop for a sci-fi novella, and Asian wind instruments while working on an idea for a culture inspired by ancient China.

12. S.T. Ockenner

S.T. Ockenner Auror

Best music for writing Fantasy? I can recommend some artists:
    Brandon Fiechter
    Derek Fiechter
    Jeremy Soule

13. Electric Bone Flute

Electric Bone Flute Minstrel

The best music to listen to is nothing. I can’t do things while listening to music; I’ll just want to play the music. I can barely write lyrics while listening to music.
    I am trying to write a piece that goes along with a short story I’m writing. All I’ve got is a primal sounding drum loop.

14. The Dark One

The Dark One Auror

Music distracts me when writing, unless it's something I know so well I can hear it without consciously listening.

So I mainly write unaccompanied, but if I do want music it'll be very old favourites like Jethro Tull's Benefit, or Exit Stage Left by Rush.

15. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Auror

I join this cabal of necromancers. What is dead lives again!

What you guys need is old school stuff.

16. Chris O'Brien

Chris O'Brien Dreamer

Depends on the nature of the scene. I don't use music to keep focused, but as a driving force of inspiration.

Chilled out areas, maybe sad moments... Amethystium. I've also borrowed on some of his track names such as the Shadowlands (afterlife), Solace (a region) etc... but that's by the by.

For something more upbeat and flghty, Two Steps From Hell is a good artist. John Murphy Adagiobin D Minor (Bombastic Version);has a very finale theme to it too.

As a rule, I tend to avoid electric guitars and the metal stuff but I once loved using Nightwing for the same.

Nighty_Knight and S.T. Ockenner like this.
  17. Chris O'Brien

Chris O'Brien Dreamer

Nightwish*

Can anyone advise how to edit a post? I'm lost... So a lot of messaging on my phone so typo-city.

Nighty_Knight and S.T. Ockenner like this.
  18. S.T. Ockenner

S.T. Ockenner Auror

You can only edit before 1 hour has passed.

19. Nighty_Knight

Nighty_Knight Minstrel

I like anything that reflects the era and environment I’m writing. Medieval fantasy I like to listen to stuff from Adrian Von Ziegler, Brunuhville, and even video game soundtracks. If it is something modern or cyberpunky, anything rock, metal, and especially synthwave music. If it were to be steampunk or some dark Victorian era horror I would listen to classical music, anything with string instruments and harpsichords, and even industrial rock. Pirate stuff probably a lot of drinking songs and stuff by Finntroll, Trollfest, and Alestorm.

20. Chris O'Brien

Chris O'Brien Dreamer

Brunheville is great, Night Knight. Used the Wolf and the Moon when a key character joined a losing battle and begun turning things about.

Adrian von Ziegler - Night Without A Star. Switched things about and used this for a short fight in the middle of a deluge where a character was killed immediately. Very poignant.

Audiomachine is also another good one.

But for those who've not heard him, try Amethystium. Also, Hanz Zimmer.