• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Breaking things up

Incanus

Auror
Of the many things to address when I start tackling the major revision of my novel, there is one I haven’t yet devised a solution for.

The problem is that the story has only a single POV, and a simple, very-linear plot-line. (This was done intentionally from the outset for no other reason than I wanted to make life easy on myself for my first novel. And I largely want to keep it this way.)

However, I would love to find a way to break up the narrative in a few spots. I’m looking for something that’s more substantial than quotes or excerpts from fictional tomes at the tops of chapters, but also something much less substantial than a second full-fledged POV.

I’m hoping to avoid going into the details about the story or characters too much. I’m just looking for a technique or idea I hadn’t thought of. And I recognize that it’s entirely possible there may be no such technique available. That’s OK. I’ll make do.

Oh, yes, there was something else that might be relevant to this--the book will be divided into five roughly equal-sized parts.

So, any thoughts?

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Sounds like you may be missing a b-plot. B-plots support the A-plot and at the same time allow a break from it.

Incanus

Auror
Oh, yeah, forgot to mention that there IS a sub-plot in the story. It may be a little unusual in that it doesn't utilize a separate POV for it, though. And it helps to break things up a little, but I still think I need something else.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
I agree. B-plots are always nice, and they can be a nice switch for the reader too. You don't have to do crazy POV, and you don't even have to get too in depth…

When I think of the scale of B-plots, I think on the high end you can do a romantic sub plot, using a character you already have… or, on the low end you can use two characters that support the story but only play a small role… for example, in Pirates of the Caribbean they have the two funny pirates, Pintel and Ragetti who act as a sort of b (or C, or D plot). They give the viewer a small break from the main story, add some much needed comic relief, while at the same time adding to the general milieu.

They only have a few scenes through the movie, but they have their own small character arcs, goals, dreams, friendship etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
The other thing you can try, if you don't already have it… and if you have a 'villain' is to include "Bad guys being bad" scenes. I love these. I feel like they add a lot.

So, for example, in the Hunger Games books the entire thing is seen through the eyes of Katniss Everdeen. In the movie they added these extra scenes:

These scenes help to break things up, change the scenery, show things from the perspective of the bad guy, and help to show how bad the bad guy really is. Again, you don't need too many of them, but they give another perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:

Incanus

Auror
Thanks Helio. I probably should have also mentioned that the book does not feature an antagonist--at least not the kind that is a person, and that also runs through the whole of the story.

It's more 'situational' and 'episodic' than anything else.

(btw, I can't currently view the clips you included. I'll have to check out whatever those are later on--)

Reilith

Sage
You could do something similar to what Robin Hobb did with her Farseer books which are almost completely written in one POV. She added excerpts from the writing of the MC, in his voice, but written in the future, when he acquired the knowledge he didnt' have at the time of the book's main plot. A journal of the MC could work, or letters.

Oomatu

Closed Account
Lol, I just came to forums to ask the exact same questions. The story following my protagonist is pretty heavy, and I feel like I need to break away every few chapters. I have a lot of side characters with interesting stories, and I feel like giving them little "introductory" chapters will (a) the the reader a break and (b) show how the main conflict is effecting everyone. One by one they side characters are introduced to main story line... but I feel like it gives the book a wider scope.

Incanus

Auror
You could do something similar to what Robin Hobb did with her Farseer books which are almost completely written in one POV. She added excerpts from the writing of the MC, in his voice, but written in the future, when he acquired the knowledge he didnt' have at the time of the book's main plot. A journal of the MC could work, or letters.

This could almost work. Almost. But I think I'd like the future of the MC and all the characters to be in doubt. The whole cast is in an iffy situation, so having glimpses into the future would end up undermining that part of it.

But stuff from the character's past could serve a similar purpose... Even if the MC's POV doesn't change, the linear aspect could be broken up this way.

Another interesting item to be thrown into this mix: there is an important character who is (in the current version) "off-screen" for 99% of the story. There may be a way to use this character to break things up.

Thinking about the structure of The Hobbit a moment (not the movie), I realize it is linear, episodic, and stays with Bilbo's perspective for the whole thing except for the 'Fire and Water' chapter, and a couple of other small moments (like the elves rolling the barrels into the river). That book did pretty well.

I'm hoping maybe I can get away with something on the minimal side.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
A far future or far past POV. Somebody who either laid the groundwork for the mess the MC is involved in, or is trying to piece together what the MC did. Perhaps a journal. If a far future POV, then that person does not know what became of the MC, or has flat out directly contradictory information. Might want to check out 'Sea of Ash' by Thomas.

A POV that turns out to be the monster (which you may have already included.)

Something that appears to be a completely separate contemporary story, maybe told from straight third person, but keeps having tangential links with the main story. Like Danlewinski's 'The Familiar.'

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I can think of a couple possibilities. One is to change the tone. Still MC POV, but if the story has been heavy and dramatic, throw in some comic relief.

Another possibility is letters, either to or from the MC, or both. A bit old-fashioned, but it's a possibility.

Incanus

Auror
Thanks for the suggestions, one and all. I've got some time to think this over before I start in on the big re-write.

Based on what I'm seeing here, I just might have enough things already in place to help 'break things up'.

I think that the episodic nature of the story should actually help with this issue. And that's kind of ironic in a way because I viewed that aspect of the book as a potential negative. There are a series of very different problems/obstacles that the characters all have to deal with, as well as the overarching story goal. And then there's the sub-plot--it begins slowly, but develops throughout, to be resolved during the last 'episode'.

Maybe that's enough right there. I guess I'll find out after a few beta readers respond.

And after all, it's my first book--no one is going to like it anyway (not that I won't give it my best).