• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Bring your own skooma!*

Cinder

Scribe
Hello!

My name is Lew. I hail from a downcast and somewhat uninspired village in north-west England. I spend much of my time imagining I am elsewhere.

As you might guess, fantasy is my ultimate passion, be it through writing, reading, or playing. I'm only 18, so I haven't published anything like some of you guys, but I would love to someday. I did self-publish a novel when I was 16 but, despite a story and some characters that I still love, it sucked. At the moment I'm finding it difficult to manage my college work (I'm in my second year of Sixth form - studying Literature, Language and Classics) alongside writing, especially as I'm 96.3% sure I have ADD.

I have a very bad habit of failing to finish projects I start. And concentrating on them for longer than a week before moving on. :mad:

I'm looking forward to meeting you like-minded fantasy geeks! None of my local friends share my obsession for worlds that never were, worlds that never will, and worlds that simply can't be! *Going to stop before I start my whismical rambling about the magnificence of fantasy worlds.*

Thanks for reading!

*I once read that to attract readers, you should have a startling and surprising title that doesn't need any connecting to what you're actually writing. If anybody here has played Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, you'll understand the joke and might even laugh a little. Those who don't laugh may be a little concerned for my welfare, so I'll put your fears at rest right away - I don't do drugs. For now.

In the exact same boat with you for about 90% of that (I haven't self-published and I'm not in college, but that has to do with an England-US discrepancy) and I love it here, so I'm sure you will too. Loved the joke by the way.

I am in the same boat as you! Mentally, at least. I just joined 3 minutes or so ago. I love all of my characters sincerely, but I fear my abilities are nothing short of mediocre, and I have a major problem with concentrating so hard on something with such fervor, only to forget about it completely a week or so later in a sea of Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age. And hey, this world sucks. I wish I lived in Thedas or Tamriel... even if there was an all out Dragon War going on, I'd frolick through the troll infested fields with blithe ignorance! So, let us make a toast with the oh so magnificent skooma! Whaddya say?

But what's life without cow milk, gluten, and artificial colors? :D If it's really bad, get a prescription, it really isn't hard (although I don't have one). They can cause you to test positive for meth, though, so avoid them if you're planning to be tested soon. ;)

Yeah, medication to deal with the problem is one avenue, but in general I think it's better to deal with the cause of the problem rather than the symptoms. ;-)

Not disagreeing, I just know I couldn't go without that stuff. Other people probably could. I personally just live with the symptoms because I'm too lazy to go see a doctor or change my diet ;).

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Cinder, and welcome to Mythic Scribes!! =) The same happens to me with my friends, they don't really like Fantasy and so when I start talking about magic and characters and worlds and magical weapons they are like "Oh no, here she goes... again!!" it is my wish that you will find many new fantasy-loving friends here!!

I write surreal fantasy that is very different to the more traditional fantasy stories, to the point that sometimes I am not sure whether I am really a fantasy writer or not.. I have three different series with nine novels finished so far, and the first and most important advice that I can give you as a writer is to have Discipline when you start a story =)

Without discipline you never finish a novel, so that's the first thing that you need to practice and master!!

I started my first serious fantasy story when I was 20, so you are in a perfect age to start your own stories =) Have fun here in Mythic Scribes

Sheila

Cinder

Scribe
In the exact same boat with you for about 90% of that (I haven't self-published and I'm not in college, but that has to do with an England-US discrepancy) and I love it here, so I'm sure you will too. Loved the joke by the way.

I'm glad you laughed! Ha! I feel honoured to be sharing 90% of a boat with you.

Welcome, Cinder/Lew!

(Apologies if anyone misreads the above and calls you "Cindy-Lou.")

Thanks! I hope nobody calls me that :)

I am in the same boat as you! Mentally, at least. I just joined 3 minutes or so ago. I love all of my characters sincerely, but I fear my abilities are nothing short of mediocre, and I have a major problem with concentrating so hard on something with such fervor, only to forget about it completely a week or so later in a sea of Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age. And hey, this world sucks. I wish I lived in Thedas or Tamriel... even if there was an all out Dragon War going on, I'd frolick through the troll infested fields with blithe ignorance! So, let us make a toast with the oh so magnificent skooma! Whaddya say?

Everybody loves a bit of skooma! Have to agree with the frolicking. I'd love to roam the lands of Tamriel with a bow and some leather armour, just moving from place to place, seeing all the little villages and meeting farmers, hunting bandits and discovering ancient ruins... if only! Earth is so boring.

No concentration sucks, right? My college work is starting to fail because of it, and if I don't get the right grades, university won't accept me for my dream creative writing course, which I really want to do. It doesn't help that I have the memory of a 300 year old old man, either. But I'm sure you're a much better writer than you think you are. I never stop criticising my own work!

Try cutting artificial colors, gluten, and cow milk out of your diet. See if that helps your ADD. :) Welcome aboard!

I don't think I eat too many artificial colours, or drink much cow's milk to be honest. I probably eat a lot of gluten because I do love my bread! Is this proven to work or something?

Welcome to the space!
Looking forward to getting to know you!
~BL~

And I you!

Hello Cinder, and welcome to Mythic Scribes!! =) The same happens to me with my friends, they don't really like Fantasy and so when I start talking about magic and characters and worlds and magical weapons they are like "Oh no, here she goes... again!!" it is my wish that you will find many new fantasy-loving friends here!!

I write surreal fantasy that is very different to the more traditional fantasy stories, to the point that sometimes I am not sure whether I am really a fantasy writer or not.. I have three different series with nine novels finished so far, and the first and most important advice that I can give you as a writer is to have Discipline when you start a story =)

Without discipline you never finish a novel, so that's the first thing that you need to practice and master!!

I started my first serious fantasy story when I was 20, so you are in a perfect age to start your own stories =) Have fun here in Mythic Scribes

Sheila

Wow! That's a lot of novels you got there. Hopefully when the distractions of college are over, I'll have a lot more time for discipline. I'm really passionate about all my ideas... for the first few weeks. And then I'm onto the next one. I feel empty without a story in my head.

I swear I live halfway between fantasy and the real world!

It feels good to be around fellow fantasy lovers, though! Gettin' good vibes already :cool:

You guys are very welcoming, thanks :)

I don't think I eat too many artificial colours, or drink much cow's milk to be honest. I probably eat a lot of gluten because I do love my bread! Is this proven to work or something?

There's been a fair amount of research linking behavioral issues with diet. It tends to be a stronger correlation in young children than in adults, but still.

I don't just mean drinking liquid cow milk, btw; that includes all dairy products that include casein or other animal milk proteins. (Cheese, cream cheese, etc. as well as loads of processed foods that you wouldn't epect to have milk protein in them.)

Solomon Tan

Minstrel
Welcome, Cinder!

Age doesn't matter, my friend... But it's the attitude that counts. So, keep it up and share your ideas with us.. We can comment and give ideas....

I'm already 30 and I just started to think that I want to write my own fantasy story and get it publish one day...

So, let's work hard together!

Cinder

Scribe
There's been a fair amount of research linking behavioral issues with diet. It tends to be a stronger correlation in young children than in adults, but still.

I don't just mean drinking liquid cow milk, btw; that includes all dairy products that include casein or other animal milk proteins. (Cheese, cream cheese, etc. as well as loads of processed foods that you wouldn't epect to have milk protein in them.)

But I LOVE cheese... I'll have to look into this diet stuff. Thanks.

Welcome, Cinder!

Age doesn't matter, my friend... But it's the attitude that counts. So, keep it up and share your ideas with us.. We can comment and give ideas....

I'm already 30 and I just started to think that I want to write my own fantasy story and get it publish one day...

So, let's work hard together!

I'm up for that! I'll definitely upload some of my work here soon to see what you all think :)