• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Can you beat the new Bing AI?

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
But do you beat the grocery clerk to death to get it? Ahhh... there's nothing like the shed of blood to get your daily... err... umm.. I-I mean I would THINK that umm... that ... I-I read that in a b-book once for story research. I have no first hand knowledge of shedding blood with my bare hands and/or teeth, or watching the life drain from another living thing. I think I have to go now.

Nah... I be a peaceable sort. Used to know a guy who got mauled by a bear, though...while getting his mail. (And I was his mailman). He eventually bought a house in California - on a street named Grizzly Bear Road. (True story).

I have no first hand knowledge of shedding blood with my bare hands and/or teeth, or watching the life drain from another living thing.

I have seen it with chickens, but I was young. Haven't been around farm animals in a long time.

A lot of people prefer to buy the packaged stuff and forget that someone, somewhere, shed blood for that meal. Probably not with their bare hands or teeth.

Neural nets like this can be thought of as extremely abstracted "averaging engines." Essentially, they try to figure out what the "average" response to whatever the input is. And they've gotten shockingly good at it. However, this is also their pitfall at the moment. The further you manage to draw the AI away from "average," the poorer its responses will be. @Devor The prompted stories you've posted are beyond impressive for being machine-generated, however they're also very "trope-y." They don't break the mold very much. It generated an "average" response.

Although I haven't messed around with this particular model, I'm betting that the longer you let the program generate and the further you force it away for a "typical" story, the more inconsistencies begin to crop up. Characters presumed dead will inexplicably reappear. Plot points will be forgotten and remembered at random. That sort of thing. Small mistakes that rapidly accumulate. These models seem to be very good at making things that "look right," but aren't necessarily "right," because fundamentally that's what the program is doing. Making a thing that looks passably similar to its sample data.

That's my general understanding as well.

The YouTube videos I mentioned earlier display this sort of "forgetting," as the AIs being interviewed might contradict themselves either in the same response or over a series of responses.

I imagine this sucks for a lot of high school kids who don't realize their papers are being written in such a clumsy way that it's apparent to the teachers but not themselves, heh.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I have seen it with chickens, but I was young. Haven't been around farm animals in a long time.

A lot of people prefer to buy the packaged stuff and forget that someone, somewhere, shed blood for that meal. Probably not with their bare hands or teeth.

I prefer the processed stuff ;) we did kill a snake and eat it when I was in the army. I'd have passed on it, but it was like a right of passage.

Just doing some research on this, this is not AI at all.
It both is and isn't. Devor gave a great explanation of why it is considered AI by the people who created it and the tech world.

However, it isn't AI in the sense that common people think. It's not a sentient being that aims to take over the world. AI is sort of a misleading term. It's probably also why a lot of people are thinking it's more advanced than it really is at the moment.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Personally, I hope to avoid all this and get a cabin in Alaska and subsist entirely off of meat from bears that I beat to death with my bare fists, as humanity is meant to do.
With you on the luddism, but I'll skip on Alaska. I'll just launch border raids for wine, cheese, baguettes and boursin into France. I'll brave the Belgian wilderness and obstruct the German highways with my caravan to get there, as is the ancient way of my people. I'm sure that's how the Franks settled down there as well.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
It both is and isn't. Devor gave a great explanation of why it is considered AI by the people who created it and the tech world.

However, it isn't AI in the sense that common people think. It's not a sentient being that aims to take over the world. AI is sort of a misleading term. It's probably also why a lot of people are thinking it's more advanced than it really is at the moment.
AI like VR is indeed a misnomer, but I also think it's an unnecessary dimension. A highly advanced but ultinately dumb tool will do just as well at taking away people's life opportunities as a sapient machine. If anything, the latter could be better because it might be reasoned with.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Neural nets like this can be thought of as extremely abstracted "averaging engines." Essentially, they try to figure out what the "average" response to whatever the input is. And they've gotten shockingly good at it. However, this is also their pitfall at the moment. The further you manage to draw the AI away from "average," the poorer its responses will be. Devor The prompted stories you've posted are beyond impressive for being machine-generated, however they're also very "trope-y." They don't break the mold very much. It generated an "average" response.

Although I haven't messed around with this particular model, I'm betting that the longer you let the program generate and the further you force it away for a "typical" story, the more inconsistencies begin to crop up. Characters presumed dead will inexplicably reappear. Plot points will be forgotten and remembered at random. That sort of thing. Small mistakes that rapidly accumulate. These models seem to be very good at making things that "look right," but aren't necessarily "right," because fundamentally that's what the program is doing. Making a thing that looks passably similar to its sample data.

Yeah, so that's the flip side of its programming, something called K-means clustering. It looks for patterns in the data, words that tend to be lumped together, and then comes to the conclusion: Oh, 94% of the time, the word sword can be associated with the word steel. Only 6% of the time does it come with words like iron, mithril, titanium alloy, dark iron, or other words that are in the same category as steel. So it'll use steel, the association it understands with a high rate of success. K-Means Clustering lets it find it's own patterns in the data and then isolate each pattern as one setup of the chess board.

I asked earlier for a sonnet to a sprite who couldn't laugh, and it gave me one. But damned if it didn't use every plain "sprite" word it could think of. In this case it saw two "chess board setups" simultaneously - sprite, can't laugh - and was able to guess from its cluster of related words at a good pattern based on its probability structure for a sonnet.

Some people are promising a future where AI can become the next Shakespeare, but I agree with Vaporo here: I don't see that happening. It's always going to be behind on the trends, picking the safe words, sticking to its patterns, and missing nuance. It'll get better - I don't know how much better - but high literature it ain't.

To be honest, though, and a bit crass, I'm a little worried about the world of fanfiction, given that if you could lift the filters, this thing would have the ability to generate some very specific custom smut in a matter of seconds.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
The AI now is at best a tool, and one helluva tool. Research, it kicks googling's ass. Want to bounce some ideas off it? That can work. Stumped on a. name for a character? Well, that's a strength of this sort of AI. Things like writing prompts and inspiration will be a strength in particular for short works. I will try to play around with a little bit of Conlang with the AI, the ability to chat and bounce things around could be interesting, at least at the level of a naming language.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
The AI now is at best a tool, and one helluva tool. Research, it kicks googling's ass. Want to bounce some ideas off it? That can work. Stumped on a. name for a character? Well, that's a strength of this sort of AI. Things like writing prompts and inspiration will be a strength in particular for short works. I will try to play around with a little bit of Conlang with the AI, the ability to chat and bounce things around could be interesting, at least at the level of a naming language.

Yeah, I was focusing the prompts earlier on big picture stuff. But if you've got to describe a blacksmith's forge, and looking for a place to start, it can do pretty well as a reference point. You wouldn't want to use the paragraph it gives you, but it's like, "Right, I want to describe the bellows, tongs, charcoal, iron bars, sparks, smoke..." Sure, it's the obvious stuff, but sometimes that's pretty easy to miss.

As a side note, I've been using Bing search since this started.... but I've switched back to Google for the regular web searches. The AI thing is great, but Bing search just isn't as good, you can tell the difference especially with image searches.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Maybe I can get AI to play my video games for me so I can go back to doing more useful stuff.

Not quite the same, but for the most part, I just watch youtube of people playing video games now. I can have it on in the background while I do other things. Play the video game for my amusement... peasant. :p

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Perhaps this has been discussed before, but Bing's chat apparently includes image generation now. I think that's rather neat. Below I attached an image and a premise it made for the prompt "Hardboiled noir set in Fin de Siècle Istanbul." For something it churned out in a couple of seconds, I'm impressed. Both the premise and the picture provide enough to get a creative mind going. If anything, these AI's may prove to be a great tool for overcoming writer's block. So all in all, having had some time to come to terms with the new state of technology and our ice plunge into a new age, I think I'll be able to integrate these tools after all.

"A disgraced former police inspector turned private eye is hired by a mysterious woman to find her missing husband, a wealthy Ottoman merchant. As he follows the trail of clues across the city, he uncovers a web of intrigue, corruption, and murder that leads him to the dark secrets of the Sultan’s palace, the underground world of the Armenian mafia, and the exotic allure of the Orient Express. Along the way, he faces danger, betrayal, and temptation from the femme fatale who hired him and the seductive belly dancer who knows more than she lets on. He must also confront his own past and his conflicted loyalty to his homeland and his religion."

Bing. Hardboiled noir set in Fin de siècle Istanbul.jpg

That's a great source of inspiration. The image would work great in places where people don't pay too much attention to detail. Like newsletters to fans or ads on facebook

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Yeah, I saw a writer who uses AI for research and ideas and for even writing some lines, as saying the AI can already reasonably reproduce some indie writers she knows... and all I thought was, how bad do these people write? Cookie cutter writers, and there are tons of them, will be trampled first. Eventually, maybe there is no way to beat the AI, but I'd also say it's true that AI can't write better than a human, unlike playing chess.

Less typos though, AI will kick my ass there.

I see it as a challenge to (make us) write even better. :D

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Eventually, maybe there is no way to beat the AI, but I'd also say it's true that AI can't write better than a human, unlike playing chess.

It may true today, but I suspect that will rapidly change. In our lifetime, AI will write books that cannot be distinguished from human writers. They will even be able to do in the voice of their choice.

I don't think AI can be stopped, but I can also see a world where it fails to take off when it alarms too many people. And a world where AI compete against each other. Since I am a passenger in this, guess I will just have to wait and see, but I am not happy AI has shown up just as I am geared up to publish. That is just more bad timing for me.

Last edited: