• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Change of Tone on the Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been on for a while, but I had been noticing the sort of attitude you guys are talking about before. It didn't affect me personally but if there have been more problems I'm glad something is being done. Oh, and this is my first time noticing, so congrats on the Moderator status, Sidekick!

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I think it is important to maintain perspective on all sides of a discussion. I haven't seen any trolling on these forums, which is nice. I can't think of anything I have seen that I felt was personally out of bounds, but I'm not likely to. I've been on forums where the level of rancor, sarcasm, and flaming was truly off the charts, and I view this place as welcoming and friendly. These forums also do not come across as elitist or insular, where only a select group are welcome. I had seen that elsewhere.

The trouble in any forum is balancing moderation among the various personalities. It isn't good to moderate according to the standards of the most easily offended person in the group, or of those who are almost impossible to offend. For the record, I haven't found anything troubling in my time here. Sure, there have been a few snarky exchanges, but they appear to have resolved themselves. Seems like a good community.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
congrats on the Moderator status, Sidekick!
Thanks, and welcome back.

Steerpike, this is definitely a great community. I agree with the gist of your message completely.

The thing we need to watch out for is exactly what you mentioned, that some people are more easily offended than others. Whether I think someone is too easily offended or not doesn't change the fact that that person may have been genuinely offended. In a case like that, it's best to just let the "snarky exchange" drop.

As an inner-city high school teacher, if a student calls me a ******* ******, the insult rolls off my back. I can take insults, idle threats, and even the average punch. I prefer not to, however, and I shouldn't have to.

This is in no way directed at you, Steerpike. I'm just making a general statement that we need to give others a break if we're aware that we're offending them. I totally agree when you say this is a good community. I truly believe that most of the posts that caused offense to some were not meant to offend.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
This is in no way directed at you, Steerpike. I'm just making a general statement that we need to give others a break if we're aware that we're offending them. I totally agree when you say this is a good community. I truly believe that most of the posts that caused offense to some were not meant to offend.

Thanks for the post, Legendary Sidekick. Sorry it took so long to reply - this thread kind of fell off my radar!

I agree with you entirely. I know, personally, that I do not wish to hurt someone else's feelings, and if I found out I did I would take the steps necessary to rectify it. I don't see people around here with bad intentions, and that is a welcome change from many sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.