• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Changing Viewpoint Characters Throughout a Trilogy

Cirias

Acolyte
I wanted to get everyone's opinions on whether they enjoy it when an author changes up the characters that you follow when you progress through the books in a trilogy/series. I'm currently thinking about changing up my cast of main characters when I start on book two in my planned trilogy. There's going to be a logical reason for this to happen and the characters won't be killed off. Do you think this is too disorienting for readers or not?

I would hesitate to do it. That being said, it could be cool depending on how you do it. I think I, personally, would have to already have ties to the new viewpoint characters to be completely ok with it. Also, if the old viewpoint characters are still around, I would like to see what they are up to as a reader who was already invested in them. They don't have to be POV characters, but I would say include them.

Saigonnus

Auror
I think if the character you are switching to is already a known character from the first novel, then it would be less likely that readers would be confused. Joel Rosenberg did something like that in his "Guardians of the Flame" series. Basically, the main character Carl Cullinane died at the end of the third book and the fifth was from the viewpoint of his bodyguards and their adventures after their great leader died. It still included characters from the story, Carl's wife and children, his friends etc. so it was like a continuation of the story, but with different eyes. I won't pretend it is the best series in the world as many things are kind of cliché but it is a good example of switching POV.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I had an idea like this for a trilogy of my own. The first book starts off with protagonist A, supporting character B and villain C; the second book, a prequel, makes B the protagonist of his own story (which takes place before he meets A) and keeps C as the villain, while the third goes even further back, making C the protagonist and showing his descent from being the hero of his own story to the villain of others'.

Ailith

Minstrel
Usually when I pick up the next book in a series, it is because I've grown attached to the characters and want to finds out what happens to their storylines. So I will admit to being a little irritated at times when I've found that a new character is suddenly taking over. BUT, if that new character proves to be just as interesting and compelling, I enjoy seeing a new perspective.

So yes, I do enjoy POV shifts between books, after I get over the initial twinge of sadness at loosing my old POV characters.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I think there's less chance for rejection if you have connections with the first book. If it's something like sidekick/minor character in book one becomes hero/major character for book two, I think it will easily work and be accepted.

Jon_Chong

Scribe
Is your trilogy connected over a short period of time ala Lord of the Rings or has considerable time passed ala Dune?

Cirias

Acolyte
Is your trilogy connected over a short period of time ala Lord of the Rings or has considerable time passed ala Dune?

It all happens over roughly the course of two years, so its a relatively short period of time. I agree that any additional viewpoint characters that are followed in book two should be established characters from book one. Joe Abercrombie did this really well with Collem West & Ferro in Before They Are Hanged. In no way do I want to go the route of having about 30 viewpoints by the end of the series, I'm planning to stick to a 'main three' and then have two or three secondary ones circulating now and again.

Jon_Chong

Scribe
Ah. I see... Is there a reason you want to shift the main cast of characters from book to book? I can think of a couple of reasons, like giving a fresh perspective on the conflict, or the first cast has finished their job and now it's up to a new band to save the day etc etc etc... but I would like to hear your reasons for doing so.

Cirias

Acolyte
Ah. I see... Is there a reason you want to shift the main cast of characters from book to book? I can think of a couple of reasons, like giving a fresh perspective on the conflict, or the first cast has finished their job and now it's up to a new band to save the day etc etc etc... but I would like to hear your reasons for doing so.

It was more of a thought on a possible way in which the story could go. I'm now planning on keeping the main cast intact and possibly introducing one or two minor viewpoint characters - mostly for the ability to show the reader multiple sides of the story as it unfolds.

I have read books that pull that off, so by all means give it a go if you want. Just make sure you have good reasons for switching characters, or it could seem random and pointless.

Jon_Chong

Scribe
It was more of a thought on a possible way in which the story could go. I'm now planning on keeping the main cast intact and possibly introducing one or two minor viewpoint characters - mostly for the ability to show the reader multiple sides of the story as it unfolds.

When you say multiple sides of the story as it unfolds, are you referring to multiple sides of the same event of is the event ongoing? Here's an example to better illustrate my point.

First book deals with a civil war from the perspective of the peasants. The second half instead deal with the civil war from the perspective of the nobles. Is it like that? Or is it closer to the next example?

First book deal with a civil war from the perspective of the peasants. The next book shifts focus to a secondary main character's rise to power in the new government. The main cast is all there, but the focus has shifted to this new dude.