• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Character changed in short period of time

Agran Velion

Minstrel
Over the past few days I've been working on a small short story (less than 5,000 words), and I've noticed that the main character's behavior has changed. I originally had intended him to be a world-weary (paranormal) detective, who sought solace in cases and booze, but now I've found him to be a much more energetic man who seems to switch between seriousness (Even depression) and mania. I'm just about finished with short story and am about to edit it, and I was wondering, should I try and change the dialogue and behavior in the latter part to suit the weary detective? Or go with the slightly bipolar detective that seems to have sprung up?

And yes, he does seem to be a bit like the ninth doctor.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I haven't read it of course, so I can't say anything about how it works. But it seems to me that flipping in such a short time might be confusing and look like erratic behavior. People are probably sooner to relate to the former, not needing an explanation for why he might drink heavily. But in the end, if you are happy with the character, that's what counts. Did you accomplish with him what you intended? Did your story captivate a reader?

Chilari

Staff
5000 words seems too short to establish the character as bipolar, so it might be better to stick with one personality. If it were a complete novel I'd urge bipolar, because it's something that not often addressed in fiction and would make for an interesting character and unique challenges, but in such a short story as Caged Maiden says, it could get confusing and it's probably best to stick to what's familiar so you can focus on the story and what you want to achieve with it.

Agran Velion

Minstrel
Thanks alot! I've finally finished the short story (the first story I've actually finished, I considered making a thread about it) and since it's time to edit it, I'll be changing the parts where he appears bipolar. Although it was a bit fun to have him be a bit manic, I'll be looking into making a bipolar character in the future.

Once more, thanks!:D