• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Creating a word, which is best?

SeverinR

Vala
I have written stories where the speaker uses a generic word for humanoids including humans.

First I wrote it as:
Bipedas- any inteligent or semi inteligent being that walks on two legs. All inclusive from the little annoying kobold to the near giant Ogre, (human, elf, dwarf, gnomes, etc) Usually a derogitory term, saying we are all about as inteligent as a kobold.

A reader thought I made a mistake, either in spelling or missed a space (biped as).

So I decided to expand it alittle.
Bipedian-same definition.

I wanted something more then biped, and something other then humanoid, which imo would not include humans.(humanoid-human-like)

2 comments on the SS, one was fine with the first, the other thought it was a mistake.

Chilari

Staff
Hmm, I suspect it depends on the context as to how easily a reader understands the word, and how frequently it is used in the first instance. I feel that Bipedian looks more like an intentional word, and is a more natural feeling word too.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Maybe make it longer? Bipedialite. Bipedder. Bipedestrial. I dunno.

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
Contrary to those above me, I think Bipedas has a more... authentic ring to it. From my perspective, it seems as if the narrator of the story is a greater being or species than the humanoid races, thus perhaps granting him a slight prejudice to his or her words when talking about the humanoids. The -ian ending seems too human to me, whereas the -as ending makes the entire word seem as if it were in another language entirely. Supposing that the narrator is a being of greater status than humanoids (I keep getting a picture of a dragon on my head for some reason) I would assume that its race may have a language all their own, and that some of their words are used in the common (humanoid) tongue. Although I tend to think of most negative or derogatory words as much shorter with less syllables, this is your world - do whatever you think feels right to you!

SeverinR

Vala
Contrary to those above me, I think Bipedas has a more... authentic ring to it. From my perspective, it seems as if the narrator of the story is a greater being or species than the humanoid races, thus perhaps granting him a slight prejudice to his or her words when talking about the humanoids. The -ian ending seems too human to me, whereas the -as ending makes the entire word seem as if it were in another language entirely. Supposing that the narrator is a being of greater status than humanoids (I keep getting a picture of a dragon on my head for some reason) I would assume that its race may have a language all their own, and that some of their words are used in the common (humanoid) tongue. Although I tend to think of most negative or derogatory words as much shorter with less syllables, this is your world - do whatever you think feels right to you!

Did you read the story? (dragon hatching-showcase)
It is a dragon that is saying this. :)
Bipedas does have the "spit out the nastyness" ring to it.
Bipedian sounds a little more respectable after you mentioned the last part.

I did like Bipedder, a simplistic word that even a lowly human could understand as an insult.
"You...Bipedder..You!" Even without explaination, someone could figure out a bipedder is one that is a biped.

I would have to agree, derogitory names aren't usually to long, at least the ones I think of.

Taytortots

Minstrel
I like them both.
I think that for the most part, someone who is familiar with Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Anything that can use a created language wouldn't think twice after reading Bipedas, especially with context. So if you like that one better, I'd use it.
Personally, I do like Bipedas better. I do agree that derogatory words are shorter.
Anyways, hope this helped.