• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dinosaurs, but real

So, I'm thinking of adding a few species of large Dinosaur-like reptiles but base them off what we think dinosaurs looked like now instead of 15 years ago, aka bright colors and odd patterned feathered behemoths. And oh yeah, they'll probably all have a sort of magical attribute. Anyone else doing the same since sometimes, art imitating life really is awesome?

John M

Dreamer
This sounds fun! What’s the premise of your story, and what sort of magical attribute are you thinking of? I like how you plan to give them brighter colours, makes them more magical.

This sounds fun! What’s the premise of your story, and what sort of magical attribute are you thinking of? I like how you plan to give them brighter colours, makes them more magical.
My WIP's premise is figuring out whether the promise of peace given to the people of Lydia is soon to be broken or worse, never could have been upheld at all, while following a a small cast of varied characters as they discover themselves, each other, and the ties that bind them. For magic attributes in animals, it would trend that a species may have an umbrella attribute while individuals may have varying degrees of proficiency in it, IE, maybe a Camouflage-type species but some can only do it during day, others at night, or only from creatures with less 'aether',

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I dont really keep up on Dinosaur science, but I am not sure who I would know if they had bright colors or not. Feathers, I think could be known.

I dont have dinosaurs proper in my stories, but large reptiles could appear. I would probably make them similar in coloration to reptiles seen today. It would seem to me, that if they were any color at all, it would have to offer them some advantage, like camouflage or sun absorption. So there would be no point in a red and yellow dino without red and yellow plants around.

Fortunately I do my best to keep up with the dinosaur science. Given how bird like many of the theropods were, you could have a variety of colors, though domesticated sorts could be raised for more colorful varieties. From research and what they've managed to pick up several were rather less colorful then they thought.

Throw in other dinosaur types and if you draw on animals of the present and looks at some spec art of them, you can get some pretty neat ideas to draw off of. And also, yeah, I usually have dinosaurs in my stuff. And am willing to play around with them. Not sure if you've seen Prehistoric Planet, but definitely worth a watch too.

Rexenm

Inkling
I had a really painful idea once. It was based around this universe, but there was the addition of species known as birds and bears, as well as humans. I thought the concept was too hard, because bears killed for stories, and birds killed for games, whilst humans never gave up the fight. It was an analogy of how I was thinking of psychiatry, at the time, and at the insistence.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
They know that a lot of dinosaurs had something like primitive feathers, so they're drawn with bright colors. But we don't actually know much about what colors they were. I saw a ticktock that said we only really know the colors for one feathered dinosaur, which was white and brown with circles on its tail, and it kind of looked like a rodent. It's possible that bright vibrant colors didn't come until long after the time of dinosaurs.

Not that it matters too much for a fantasy novel.

I haven't done anything with dinosaurs. I can't shake some of the images of the Tarzan-type riding a dinosaur, or else what you see in Warcraft with every race getting their own mount, and it doesn't hit the vibes I'm looking for. But I do sometimes see the new information coming out about dinosaurs and wonder what other writers will do with them.

They know that a lot of dinosaurs had something like primitive feathers, so they're drawn with bright colors. But we don't actually know much about what colors they were. I saw a ticktock that said we only really know the colors for one feathered dinosaur, which was white and brown with circles on its tail, and it kind of looked like a rodent. It's possible that bright vibrant colors didn't come until long after the time of dinosaurs.

Not that it matters too much for a fantasy novel.

I haven't done anything with dinosaurs. I can't shake some of the images of the Tarzan-type riding a dinosaur, or else what you see in Warcraft with every race getting their own mount, and it doesn't hit the vibes I'm looking for. But I do sometimes see the new information coming out about dinosaurs and wonder what other writers will do with them.
I agree wholeheartedly that we do not and may never know what sort of color schemes there were, and it would be fair to assume that like birds, most were plain colors, but since I already worked in a genetic reason for human's to be born with what we would consider unnatural eye and haircolors, it wouldn't be a stretch in my world to apply that same logic to any other plant or animal.

My idea certainly wouldn't be as mounts, at least, if they were used that way, it would be exceedingly rare and against the ideals of the main part of my society and would also mean those creatures are likely mind controlled through magic, making it sort of dark. It would be more along the lines of a threat in the wilds, or maybe they follow one to find a plant it likes to eat they need, something along those lines.