• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Does reading older books hinder a writer?

Devora

Sage
As a reader, I tend to read older books from the Romantic, Victoria, and 20th century eras of literature.

I realize that i very rarely read newer books.

Will this cause problems with my writings?

(Bonus: suggest some books, please.)

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
My belief is that what you read influences the way you write. If you read a lot of books written in a certain style I wouldn't be surprised if that style rubs off on you. The question you should ask yourself is if you too believe that and if you would consider it a good thing or a bad thing if the writing style of the authors you read influences the way you write.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Well, it could. But, as Svrtnsse said, whether or not that is a good or bad thing is up to you.

Either way, I believe it is beneficial for every writer to read widely, across genres, through differing time periods, and covering as many styles as possible. In my view, broadening one's reading horizons will benefit every writer.

Hi

I read a lot of books from the golden age of science fiction and earlier myself. I think it does impact on how I write and what I write. I find it very hard to write this short sentenced, action fast paced stuff that seems to be so popular these days. I really want to linger over descriptions and use longer sentences with less punch to them. And perhaps that's one of the reasons my traditional fantasy and space opera seems to be better received.

Is this a handicap? Maybe. It might well hinder me in getting an agent if I ever go down that road again. And I suspect it does put some readers off. But at the same time other readers enjoy it and I can self pub. And in the end I write what I want to write the way I want to write it. Anything else would be untrue to myself.

The question you have to ask yourself as a writer is really whether you want to write for yourself or for others - i.e. to sell. If it's the latter yeah you may have to move to reading more modern urban fantasies and sci fi. If not, be true to yourself as a reader and a writer.

Cheers, Greg.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Define "old". I'm 61.

There was a definite change in fiction writing that happened between WWI and WWII. Another change happened in the late 1960s to early 1970s. There was another change in the mid-19thc, but I doubt that's what you mean by old.

And do you mean all literature or just fantasy literature?

Finally, are you actually writing? As in have you completed short stories and novels (not sold, just completed)?

I'm of the opinion that one's own personal growth is far more influential. What one has read is a part of that growth but not the whole of it.

Which is another way of saying: don't worry about it, just write.

Sam Evren

Troubadour
My favorite book in the history of books is the middle book (two volumes) of a Polish Trilogy. It's actually THE Polish Trilogy. First serialized in 1883, the first book would eventually be known as With Fire and Sword. It's set during the time of a Cossack rebellion against the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

The second book is called The Deluge. It's set during a time in Poland's history when it was being attacked on three fronts---a wounded beast dying.

It may sound dry, it may sound strange, but I tell you truly, I would stack these old books up against any historical fiction---or fantasy fiction I've ever read. The adventure is high, the stakes higher, and, so long as you get the right translator, they go down like the sweetest honey.

If those old books hinder me, I tell you truly, let me be so hindered!

I would never have found them, never have known about them were it not for the lovely Polish woman who introduced me to them.

I've owned them countless times, and given them away countless more. They're getting rarer by the day, harder to acquire by the modern translator, but I love them with all my heart!

I remember when I first read With Fire and Sword, it was 1996. I can't remember the opera I was working on, but I remember the set. I was reading and I was so into my book that I soon found myself entirely alone on stage. The audience had cleared. The other stagehands were all gone. I was alone with my book and my light. And I couldn't wait to get back to my hotel and read more.

If that's the hindrance of an old book, I say again, let me be so hindered!

For sake of reference, the author's name is Henryk Sienkiewicz, and the translator, and this is key, is W.S. Kuniczak.

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
No, it doesn't hinder you. Read as much as you can across genre boundaries and time periods.

If you're worried your writing might be too old fashioned, find a couple beta readers and have them tell you. That's probably the easiest way to know.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Assuming you don't want it to sound that way. If you do, there is nothing wrong with that and you should find beta readers who understand it and can work with that approach to style.

GeekDavid

Auror
Do The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings count as "old books"? The Hobbit was, after all, published in 1937...

I think you can see where I'm going here.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Do The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings count as "old books"? The Hobbit was, after all, published in 1937...

Yeah, there are plenty of older books that are successful. And there are also new and successful books written in the style of much older works. So worrying about this sort of thing makes no sense to me. Write the story you want to write, in the way you want to write it, and don't listen to naysayers.

Tolkien has an exemption by virtue of already being famous. I can't think of any well-known writers in the past ten years who use his prose style. (Then again, that could just mean it's due for a revival.)

GeekDavid

Auror
Tolkien has an exemption by virtue of already being famous. I can't think of any well-known writers in the past ten years who use his prose style. (Then again, that could just mean it's due for a revival.)

Few have the education Tolkien had... and few are willing to put the decades into creating a story that Tolkien did.

He was truly one of a kind.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
If you write for today, the best you can hope for is to be famous for today.

Why not write the very best way you know how and not worry about the rest? After you've published a dozen stories, you can work on cultivating different styles.

I'm a historian by training. I got into web-based teaching very early (1994) and wrote extensive essays for my web sites. These are all college classes and as far as I was concerned, I was writing for grownups. But over the years I have many, many emails from both teachers and students at the high school and even the middle school level, telling me that these essays are clear and easy to understand.

Had I listened to so-called experts, I would have said I needed to write an 8th grade version and a 10th grade version and ... well, you get the idea. Instead, I wrote as clearly as I could on the topic at hand. Turns out, that works pretty well.

I relate this merely to provide a specific illustration of the point at hand: write well. All the rest is just fodder for literary commentators.

I'm the same. I prefer old literature. It's my favorite and I tend to read nothing else. For me, however, it helps me with my current novel as it takes place in 1892 and it helps me in developing the voice of that time.

As far as hurting your writing, I don't think that it will hurt what you write. If you are using novels for an example of the author's style to help you with your own novel, I would recommend a novel that was written or takes place in the time that you are writing.

Last edited: