• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dragon Heads

OGone

Troubadour
Can I ask Ankari (kinda related to the thread), I've plodded through your site a little, is it just you who works on "Call of Heroes" or do you have other writers & artists?

Can I ask Ankari (kinda related to the thread), I've plodded through your site a little, is it just you who works on "Call of Heroes" or do you have other writers & artists?

Nice website! I love how straightforward it is, but seemingly comprehensive as well. And having colored art for most things is nice also.

I liked the "Sorry this is coming soon" for pages you haven't gotten around to yet, but I would appreciate a * or something on those pages in the nav-bar — unless you're doing a beta version right now and won't start marketing the site until they're all complete.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
I'm doing the writing. I have an artist to do the art. Thanks for the compliment Zero. I'm hoping to do a revamp soon. I'm messing around with certain background software. Yeah, you can consider the site in beta for now. I also have to write up a new religion and two races.

The site will also include various political/social factions. I intend for my universe to as a basis for an RPG (pen and paper and hopefully digital much later down the road).

Jabrosky

Banned
I like the red one slightly more than the others, but truthfully their proportions are all too cartoonish for my taste. That would work fine for a kid's animated movie, but I get a much more grown-up vibe from the whole Call of Heroes project.

Then again, it is fantasy, so take my feedback with a grain of salt.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Thanks for the honest feedback, Jabrosky. These are just concept renditions. Something thrown together to help narrow down the direction we should take. So far, the overwhelming response is the top right. I'm telling my artist to go with that head for one of the dragons. I'll make sure the final product is consistent with the tone of Call of Heroes (you're assumption of a darker, more adult theme is correct).

My question is, what makes them appear for cartoonish? Is it the coloring or the actual features?

Jabrosky

Banned
Maybe cartoonish is the wrong word, but their skull proportions seem different from what I expect from dragons. Again, given that dragons are a fantastical species, you can take my advice with a grain of salt if you want. I'm just giving you my personal aesthetic opinion.

I'm doing the writing. I have an artist to do the art. Thanks for the compliment Zero. I'm hoping to do a revamp soon. I'm messing around with certain background software. Yeah, you can consider the site in beta for now. I also have to write up a new religion and two races.

The site will also include various political/social factions. I intend for my universe to as a basis for an RPG (pen and paper and hopefully digital much later down the road).

That's cool! It's a lot like what I want to achieve with WotA, although yours is much more professional already.

Thanks for the honest feedback, Jabrosky. These are just concept renditions. Something thrown together to help narrow down the direction we should take. So far, the overwhelming response is the top right. I'm telling my artist to go with that head for one of the dragons. I'll make sure the final product is consistent with the tone of Call of Heroes (you're assumption of a darker, more adult theme is correct).

My question is, what makes them appear for cartoonish? Is it the coloring or the actual features?

You know, I think they appear cartoonish as well. I'm not sure what it is, or if it is a combination of several things. But they just don't seem real. It's possible this will be resolved when we see their bodies? Maybe Nihal can chime in with her artistic perspective?

mbartelsm

Troubadour
That's cool! It's a lot like what I want to achieve with WotA, although yours is much more professional already.

You know, I think they appear cartoonish as well. I'm not sure what it is, or if it is a combination of several things. But they just don't seem real. It's possible this will be resolved when we see their bodies? Maybe Nihal can chime in with her artistic perspective?
I think it's because the heads are too small compared to the bodies, it seems like they are dumb but strong

I think it's because the heads are too small compared to the bodies, it seems like they are dumb but strong

I've thought about this some more and think that the coloring is a bit too "clean" in the sense that it is covering up the detail of the creatures. Yet, it seems to mostly fit with the rest of the art for Call of Heroes (CoH?), so it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
I've been talking to the artist. The cartoonish look is gone. Once I get a presentable image, I'll post it for those who are interested.

FYI, if anyone ever needs a great artist, let me know. This guy is amazing to work with.

Addison

Auror
They're all great. But I like the last two on the left. They look more like what I see dragons looking like.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm linking one of the dragons. Tell me what you think of the transition from concept to (nearly) completed product? This was the top right head.

858725_348143631963620_1514496828_o.jpg

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Looks pretty awesome. I love the fire breaking through skin and forming the end of the tail. that effect really changes the idea of a fire dragon and make an old image idea fresh (at least to my eyes).

Looks fearsome.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm linking one of the dragons. Tell me what you think of the transition from concept to (nearly) completed product? This was the top right head.

Looks great! I really enjoy the subtle background showing the ground faaaaaarr below