• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Dynamic - The Forgotten Writing Element

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
It wasn't plot, character, or setting. It's the dynamic. It's how the characters will end up talking to each other. It's a little like banter, but with substance.
A dynamic situation. Constant changes. A world alive, and a character just as alive—This description might approach that feeling of dynamic I'm now experiencing.
I looked over the thread a bit and I got the feeling you two (Devor and FifthView ) are talking about different things - while using the same word.

...and then Devor comes along and posts something just as I'm typing.

Maybe that's what I'm thinking of when I wrote that the ideas reach critical mass and turn into a story. At some point I get to a stage where I can tell whether adding something to the story will work or not.

Laurence

Inkling
I get it, because in truth, I don't think there's anything ground breaking in the bare bones of my WIP. My attitude when starting out was more, "I've got some nice imagery, some cool characters and the will to do things slightly differently, so it's worth doing." A part of me figures it's going to take so long that by the time I'm finished with it, it's bound to be great. I'll have have been working with my ensemble for so long that their dynamic will win out and people will fall for them the way I have.

Perhaps I'm not nervous enough, because I can't imagine not loving any epic fantasy, and I will always push on through a book, whether I like it or not. A book may stop me reading, but I won't stop reading a book.

Hi,

Worth publishing? That's a subjective question in which the metric is not really in the author's hand - it's in the hands of the reader. For me the question would be, when do I know I have a story worth writing / finishing?

To me, speaking as a pantster with probably over two hundred unfinished novels on my laptop, I know when a story's worth writing / finishing by the passion I feel towards it. It's all the "a ha!" moments coming together, forcing me to write the book. You see every book I write begins with one of them. But one isn't enough. When I know a stories worth finishing, its because I keep having more of them - and bit by bit I discover the plot as I write it. Sometimes I can write a book in a month. Other times I may simply have a flash of inspiration about a book I started years before and put aside, but suddenly have to finish.

Publishing comes after the story's complete, and it's more a business decision. It's about getting feedback, edits etc, and turning the story I wrote into something more commercial to use a dirty word.

Cheers, Greg.