• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ever have a crush on one of your own characters before?

Jabrosky

Banned
I definitely have experienced crushes on my various leading ladies. They are always intended to be beautiful after all.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I wouldn't say I've ever had a crush on one of my characters, but then again, I've only been writing "seriously" for a relatively short time.
What does happen is that side-characters catch my interest for more than my main character does. I start pondering their motives, actions and experiences instead of working on the actual story I'm supposed to be dealing with.

Rinzei

Troubadour
I wouldn't say it was a crush, but a developing appreciation for a character I previously thought I would dislike - yes. He was intended to be a bit of a jerk, yet somehow he became the underdog. Everyone - myself and my few readers - all loved him in the end.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Can't say I have. I don't have many characters who are within the age range I'd find "crushable", and most of that small number are female. About half of the men are also gay, and thus not really appropriate for me to crush on anyway. XD

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I wouldn't say it was a crush, but a developing appreciation for a character I previously thought I would dislike - yes. He was intended to be a bit of a jerk, yet somehow he became the underdog. Everyone - myself and my few readers - all loved him in the end.

That's exactly what happened with one of my characters. He went from villain to hero in the course of his plot, such that I decided to adapt the story from RP to novel.

Keitsumah

Inkling

same happened to me... the problem is that he's the second main character and i don't want him to overtake my other MC...

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Without question. Of course, my writing partner and I also rp character development as well as story, and emotions get involved. I think it adds richness and depth to the characters.

MadMadys

Troubadour
It's never occurred to me so I'll say no. Any character I create exists within whatever world I've written for them and so is a total work of fiction in my mind. That isn't to say I've never made a character that, if they actually existed, I wouldn't be totally into but that hypothetical aside, I can easily separate the real from the created.

I'm more interested in my characters interacting with each other than me.

I don't know about crush, but in my first work the character intended to become the protagonist's love interest, well, lets just say she was definitely my type ;).

Ddruid

Minstrel
Truth be told, when I read the the title of this thread my reaction was a 'what?', then a 'you're kidding me, right?'. But now it's seriously gotten me thinking. I've never had any crush on my characters, in fact I haven't created enough characters to even give myself a chance, but still, strange as it may sound I'm feeling kinda left out. Maybe it's time to focus more on my female characters. Now that I think about it, the possibilities are endless. I could create my own personal fantasy.

Of course, I'm not saying I'm going to start developing female characters for the sole purpose of having crushes on them. All I mean is that next time I create a female character, I'll pay a bit more attention. Hmm, just think of the things I could do with her. And, uh, by 'do' with her I don't mean anything like...umm... you know, like.... actually do with her... I meant... oh never mind.

Chilari

Staff
That, plus it's more fun to write about characters you like and have some kind of connection with.

But it's also dangerous. Get too attached, and it's too easy to give the characters too easy a time of things. Don't sacrifice the story because you want the character to have things easy.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
But it's also dangerous. Get too attached, and it's too easy to give the characters too easy a time of things. Don't sacrifice the story because you want the character to have things easy.

Ha, no chance of that here. The characters I like best tend to be the ones who suffer most. ^^; Short of dying, that is. Though I have killed a few.

When possible, I tend to take as inspiration (at least physically) people that I find attractive or interesting, so I already start out fond of the idea of the character before I've even started developing them past the concept board. I tend to adore all of my characters once they are fully realized, male, female or other. To define it as a crush would be to cheapen it and also not fully describe it. It's much more complex.

Sooooooooo, the answer is no.