• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Extra Content Questions and Ideas

WyrdMystic

Inkling
It disagree. I think it fit my point well.

There's no need to consider storytelling an "art," and I do want to provide excellent customer service. If people are going to pay money for my books, I want to do my darndest to make sure they're satisfied. I want them to find my writing engaging and hard to put down; I want them to respond emotionally to the text; and I want them to have their expectations met. Obviously, saying what I want is harder than doing it, but I think I should at least try.

Personally, I hate the attitude: I'm producing art. Take it or leave it.

Now, it's a different story entirely if you're not selling your work. If you are, I think you have some degree of responsibility to the people who are paying their hard earned money for what you produced.

I think we're hitting the same mark from different starting points. What I mean by expect is exactly that - I know what to expect = I know exactly what I'm getting, no surprises, no engagement, no thrill, I know how it ends, I know how it starts, I can pretty much guess what happens in the middle. I aim to exceed expectations, as I think you do from what you are saying. From the customer service side, I see that as 'I want a cup of coffee', 'I get a cup of coffee' - no surprises, the way I like it, the way I have it everytime. Stories are more thatn customer service, they are a medium and an artform, whether you like it or not.

In the end, I think we think the same, but the analogies have different meanings to each of us - of course aside from the maps thing :D

Hence - I am not looking to provide customer service (what customer service means to me).

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
If you are, I think you have some degree of responsibility to the people who are paying their hard earned money for what you produced.

I don't think you have an obligation to tell your story in a particular way. Where would such an obligation spring from? I think you should do the best you can to write the best story in your chosen style and manner of writing, but that's about it.

Stupid question, maybe, but would putting d20 stats in a published work be a violation of the copyright of whoever owns the d20 system?
Thanks for the question. d20 is open-source--there is also a 4th edition open-source, although I don't think it is as popular. So not only is it legal to release stats for those systems, you can actually create entire "games" (which are usually more like expansions) that utilize the rules systems. Here's the wikipedia article: d20 System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zero,

Your question seemed to imply that maps as an add-on may be objectionable to some. I think the opposite is true; some see the lack of maps as objectionable.

You're creating a world from scratch. Providing a map is almost mandatory for epic fantasy.

I think that some people would also find sketches to be a value add.

As far as the RPG stuff goes, how are you marketing your book? If it's as part of an RPG, then including stuff for it is good. If it's not part of an RPG, my opinion is that you shouldn't. I'm not sure how many other people feel as I do, but I tend to "look down" on books based on RPGs if I'm looking for epic fantasy.
There are the rare few that see maps as objectionable, but what I was really referring to was the inclusion of non-professional maps. I am planning on 1-2 professional quality maps, but I'd like to include some of my sketch-quality maps.

I enjoy having maps as a reference, although I will usually skip them until the characters start traveling around. At that point, I reference the front/back covers for the maps.

I am eventually going to have WotA be multi-platform. I enjoy the novels and short stories I have been writing in the setting, but I'd like to release an RPG (whether tabletop or otherwise), and I've been stretching my artistic talents towards a manga-style comic/graphic novel. I always like getting a handle on the relative powers/attributes of characters beyond what is written in the stories. Even comic books like the Ultimates have a quick "power meter" rating in different attributes for the characters appearing.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
what I was really referring to was the inclusion of non-professional maps. I am planning on 1-2 professional quality maps, but I'd like to include some of my sketch-quality maps.

Can you make the sketch quality maps seem like they were hand drawn by the characters? Label them something like, Found among Character's relics in Date.

Can you make the sketch quality maps seem like they were hand drawn by the characters? Label them something like, Found among Character's relics in Date.

IF I COULD ADD MORE REP TO YOUR POST I WOULD. That's a spectacular idea! This was done to great effect in one of my favorite series, the Deathgate Cycle. Great, great, great idea. Thank you!

Telcontar

Staff
My ability to include artwork is limited by my mediocre artistic skills. I'm going to be coming out with the first Wandering Tale collection soon, and I've been puzzling over what else to include.

Historical Matter - pertaining to some of the larger background events discussed in the stories
A Map - Gotta have that map

Those are the things I know I'll be including. I'm searching for more, though, because I want a person who already owns one or two of the novellas to not worry too much about buying the collection. I'm also thinking about including things like summaries of some of the kingdoms/religions/institutions. I don't want to get too dry though... historical matter is at least still a story. Outlining the general nature and functioning of a culture or religion, not so much.

My ability to include artwork is limited by my mediocre artistic skills. I'm going to be coming out with the first Wandering Tale collection soon, and I've been puzzling over what else to include.

Historical Matter - pertaining to some of the larger background events discussed in the stories
A Map - Gotta have that map

Those are the things I know I'll be including. I'm searching for more, though, because I want a person who already owns one or two of the novellas to not worry too much about buying the collection. I'm also thinking about including things like summaries of some of the kingdoms/religions/institutions. I don't want to get too dry though... historical matter is at least still a story. Outlining the general nature and functioning of a culture or religion, not so much.

A road-so-far intro summarizing events of previous books?

Telcontar

Staff
Ah, yes indeed! I'd planned to include a timeline, as the stories of the Wandering Tale do not take place in pure sequential order - there is some overlap.