• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Favorite Genre

Ned Marcus

Maester
I think everyone here will choose fantasy.

If you mean which subgenre of fantasy, then quite a few: contemporary, historical, epic, and science fantasy are my favourites. I like SF and planetary romance too. You?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I like reading fairly sparse Crime/Noir.
Give me a Femme that is always Fatal and a gumshoe, so hard-boiled that they squeak and I'm happy.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...I spend most of my thoughts in fantasyish pursuits.

When reading, I like the Classics.
At the movies, I think Fantasy and Horror. But anything thats good really. That does not happen so often anymore.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Epic and Dark Fantasy tinted with horror is good. Despite the fact I've never been scared by a book, and don't like most any horror novels, I like the element in Fantasy. Go figer. What I read most is history for research, because I just don't read much any more. The time to read is the time to write.

I would probably write just about anything from Western to cozy mystery to urban fantasy horror if I get the time, but! Epic/Dark is my leaning.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
By no means are the following mentions exhaustive, but a couple of genres I love are (1) Northerns (A subgenre of Westerns set in regions such as the Yukon), (2) Post-Post-Apocalypse (a subgenre of post-apocalypse wherein civilisation has begun again) and (3) Lovecraftian Horror (we all ought to know this one).

LittleOwlbear

Minstrel
For subgenre, it's high fantasy for sure, I'm too much of a DnD and mythical creature lover, followed by romantasy (not with vampires or werewolves tho and not these toxic ones) and steampunk fantasy.
Urban fantasy rarely catches me, except it's good supernatural horror.
Science fiction doesn't make the list either.

Mad Swede

Auror
I don't have a favourite genre. I have a (very) long list of books I love, but the genre and styles vary enormously.