• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do you have a 'favorite' archetype? (both to write and to read)

I'm talking purely for characters.

I tend to like the 'outwardly seems to have two functioning brain cells but is actually a genius/talented' type of character, especially when they're done well enough that you can spot how powerful/skilled they are in spite of it. There's so many angles you could play on this one too, not to mention the actual talent can be something just as 'dingy' but somehow helps the party in some way.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
All my characters seem different to me. I certainly don't set out to create archetypes, though I do sometimes have certain types (arche or otherwise) in sort of background mode. For instance, when I wrote Into the Second World, which is a conscious re-working of Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth, I naturally had in mind the characters in the original (book and movie). So I consciously decided to have the main character be a female, because Verne had none. That gave me some avenues to explore and a tone (because it's in first person).

In Goblins at the Gates, I definitely had types in mind. My MC, Julian, was an echo or modulation on Alkibiades. And Avitus, his family slave, I took inspiration from Greek comedies. Again, mostly for tone and voice.

With others, though, I had nothing in particular. But in each and all cases, they are my favorites. That is, I genuinely liked the characters. Some took longer than others, but I can't picture writing a story where I did not think all the main characters were interesting people worth hearing about.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
It would be hard to say I have a favorite. I would take any so long as they matched the story.

I do have things that seems common in many of the characters I write, but I am not sure they are archetypes. Most of my characters are dedicated, competent, and have an honorable sensitivity. But then, they are all in the same story world, so that may just be a trait of the world.

If I was to RPG, I do have character classes I prefer.

I just like that the thing I am reading/watching, does not make me stop and go bull sh*t. Been a while since that's happened.

I suppose there are many I dont care for, but...usually that is also execution, and not really the character.

I like things that are complex. So, I would like characters who have complexity to them.

I dont know... Maybe if others chime in, I will get more of a list to choose from.

Mad Swede

Auror
No. I never think of characters or even stories in terms of archetypes. Not when I'm reading and not when I'm writing. I don't set out to write a certain sort of story or a certain sort of character, I just write.

Foxkeyes

Minstrel
Tricksters are always fun.

But many great characters have various archetypal roles throughout a story, depending on what role they are playing and what point in the story they're playing it.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Archetypes--indeed, categories and genres more generally--have never felt useful to me. They belong to critics and reviewers and literary analysts, those who look at a completed work. They are useful to them because archetypes (et alia) provide a sort of currency of discourse, allowing reviewers and critics to communicate with one another. Humans do love to put things in boxes. It's one of our earliest childhood toys.

But as an author, I don't live in a tidy room with cabinets and boxes. I live in a trackless jungle filled with dangers and distractions and unexpected delights. What plot type? What character archetype? HeckifIknow. I'm just trying to figure out how to wield this machete without cutting myself.

Malakota

Dreamer
I am partial to flawed hero/heroines. Their mistakes are often the best lessons or lead them to interesting results.

Joe McM

Minstrel
I don’t write to archetypes, but I’m a new fiction writer. I had an idea for a main character, his qualities, abilities, strengths, and weaknesses, and then developed characters around him based on the story as it evolves.

I'm talking purely for characters.

I tend to like the 'outwardly seems to have two functioning brain cells but is actually a genius/talented' type of character, especially when they're done well enough that you can spot how powerful/skilled they are in spite of it. There's so many angles you could play on this one too, not to mention the actual talent can be something just as 'dingy' but somehow helps the party in some way.
One of my closest friends used to do this deliberately. He's a cluey chap (maths lecturer) but used to go out of his way to seem stupid so people would underestimate him. He's grown out of it now.

As for kick-ass blind characters - I was blown away by Minotaur by Peter Goldsworthy. It's crime (not fantasy) but blew me away - a detective blinded in duty anticipates an attack from the chap (in jail) who tried to kill him.

LittleOwlbear

Minstrel
The (neurodivergent-coded^^) weirdos with an obsession for a certain topic and some other traits I can relate to, but also care about people. Not the "I hate everyone except my books"-stereotype.

The tricksters and little criminals with a good heart

The woman or female perceived character who's beautiful AND she knows it.

The stoic and bitter guy, who suddenly gets a child to care for like Joel from Last of Us or Geralt.