• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What is your favorite persona archetype?

Nnamani

Dreamer
Personally my favorite archetypes are the joker and the magician. The knowledge and cunning to manipulate their environment to their benefits is so interesting to read and explore. Imagine a wise, manipulative, powerful character and a comic relief character with hidden or devious intentions teaming up with typical good hero. Now, that is a very interesting concept that always leaves room for drama

CrystalD

Scribe
I love a good anti hero but I don't tend to write them. Hm, what character types I write are usually people who have hardships in their lives, but they fight for what they want and need, in spite of their darker pasts. They usually struggle because of their past influences, but try to rise abov them. No idea if that's a charactr type, just the ones I write lol. ither that or very snarky, optomistic people that use that to hide depth they don't want people to see.

I am so over snarkiness. Every second character I read these days (across all genres) seems to be wise-cracking and sarcasticising throughout the entire narrative (without ever being amusing).

If it's not funny then it's rapidly tedious and I find myself not caring about the character or even hoping something really bad happens to them.

BearBear

Archmage
I am so over snarkiness. Every second character I read these days (across all genres) seems to be wise-cracking and sarcasticising throughout the entire narrative (without ever being amusing).

If it's not funny then it's rapidly tedious and I find myself not caring about the character or even hoping something really bad happens to them.

You should create a thread, "what's your least favorite persona", that should be interesting.

BearBear

Archmage
Not sure what a persona is but I guess anti-hero?
Persona is the aspect(s) of someone's character that is perceived by others. I separate this from "personality" by saying that persona is a subset of a person's full personality. Aspects are a collection of behaviors experienced in certain situational or rule governed spaces that have been experienced. One aspect would be how you behave in church, another would be how you behave in English class. The sum of all aspects of a persona is the model of your experience of that person (including yourself) and so a persona is typically thought of as a perception of the total person given your experience of them. An archetype for instance would be a catagorized persona.

In reality no one can be completely known even to themselves. Secret aspects may be present due to not ever having experienced the correct situation to express and until you experience that situation you really can't know how you'll behave with 100% certainty.

This is just the way I use this verbiage and differing perspectives exist.

D. Gray Warrior

Troubadour
I'm fond of the tragic hero. Maybe I've been reading too many Greek tragedies and legends, but I like for my MCs to have a fatal flaw and meet a tragic fate. A lot of times, the story ends on a bittersweet note. Or the villain achieved his goal and only later realizes he should have been more careful about what he wished for.

Sure, the hero saved the day and stopped the bad guy, but he died in the process.

I also like the loveable rogue archetype. My fantasy stories need at least one swashbuckler or thief with a code of honor.

Redfrogcrab

Troubadour
It's more of a group archetype but I really like the whole 4-crew/gang scraping by type of group, especially this combo of the group:
the reluctant leader
neurodivergent creative/smart person
edge lord brute/gunman/former criminal (alt: cowboy)
badass woman

and maybe an animal sidekick