• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fleshing Out the Antagonist

LadyofKaos

Scribe
I'm trying to give my antagonist more depth but am in a quandary as to how to write his reactions and thought patterns in certain situations. Here's a little background info - he was born and raised within a loving family with a dad, mom, and little sister. His life was typical for a kid, went to school, played sports, tormented his sister but protected her from others. However, at 16 everything changes in his world. In a matter of hours, his parents are murdered in front of his eyes and he tells his little sister to run for her life, which she does. She gets away but he's not so fortunate. It's not brought to light to the reader until some time later, however he finds out the man that murdered his parents is his real father. The man only recently found out the boy is his son.

The boy is treated well, nurtured, schooled, and loved by his real father. The twist is that the man systematically introduces the boy to a more evil school of thought. He teaches him to appreciate the macabre. For instance, there is a skill to slicing the skin from your victim bit by bit, keeping them alive until you are ready to claim their life, taking pleasure in their screams & agony. Also during all this time, his father has kept tabs on his little sister and plans to bring her into the fold.

Brother and sister eventually reunite after the death of the boy's father. The boy now a young man intends to continue his father's plan to turn his sister to evil and rule by using her power.

quandary - once reintroduced to his sister, does it make sense that he would experience a conflict between his former life and the life he's lived for well over 10 years? Would the goodness he learned as a child begin to interfere or, in your opinion, would he be too hardened to such emotions? Should his motivation to use her come from love or hate?

Please tell me what you think.

Ayaka Di'rutia

Troubadour
Since the young man has chosen to follow evil, it would make sense that when he met his sister again, he would immediately intend to turn her to evil. However, the strength of his intention depends entirely on how he was raised and what choices he made while his father schooled him. Has the young man held onto any good? What good he may have held onto may try to come out in a softer side towards the young man's sister, if that makes sense, although it may take quite a while.

That or the young man no longer cares about good at all. I don't know everything about your character, and antagonists can be quite complex. Anyway, hope I helped :)

Sparkie

Auror
I'd like to read about the character more, but here's my take on what's posted above:

For the first 16 years of his life, this man knew love and a measure of happiness, right? Those years, childhood through the early teens, are formative. While the conscious memory of that time may have faded, the unconscious memories have a way of lingering. If your character enjoyed that time in his life more than his current way of life, then you may have your answer.

On the other hand, you mention that this character "tormented his sister but protected her from others." What sort of torment are we talking about? Friendly jesting? Ridicule? Harassment? Screaming matches? If you use the word "torment" in the literal sense of the word, it leads me to think that your character may have had a sadistic streak in childhood that enabled him to relate to his true father's way of thinking.

About his motivation I can only say this: You ask if his motivation to use her should come from love or hate. Why can't it come from both? It is possible to have conflicting feelings, to both love and hate someone. I'd consider what your character may think consciously regarding this, and weigh it against what he feels subconsciously.

LadyofKaos

Scribe
Sparkie, my initial thoughts with the 'torment' comment were in a loving way but your post has made me rethink that. It would make sense if some aspects of his real father came through in his younger years.

Ayaka, you ask a great question - has he held onto any good? That's an avenue I must travel.

Thank you!