• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Found my way here from G+

ACSmyth

Minstrel
I think I've done this backwards as I found you first on Google+. Looking forward to wandering the forums and seeing what goes on here.

I've been reading fantasy and SF for as long as I can remember. It will give my age away if I say I (just) remember the original airing of the original Star Trek, but that was me hooked. Time Tunnel, Planet of the Apes - I lapped all that sort of stuff up as a kid. Then I read the Narnia books and that was my entry drug into SF/F fiction too.

Writing has come a lot later. I was talented in sciences and maths and was labelled that way at school. I was never encouraged to do anything more creative and distinctly remember being told I had no imagination, so I thought any creative aspirations were out of my reach.

Fast forward to about two and a half years ago, when I started hanging out on a forum for one of my old fandoms and made friends with two fanfic writers. They'd be discussing their plots and I'd chip in ideas where I could, but I felt really left out and had a crack myself. (Do I get thrown out now I've admitted to writing fanfic?) To my surprise, it worked out way better than I expected and I spent 18 months or so writing fanfic and reading anything on writing I could lay my hands on, gradually changing to more and more of my own characters and settings.

Last NaNo I really wanted to write something new, so I pitched in with only the vaguest idea of what to do. I came out with a 64K long brainstorming session, which I'm now trying to beat with a stick to get into some sort of shape. It *will* be finished in time for me to plan out this year's NaNo properly. I'm not going to have a train wreck like that again if I can help it!

Favourite authors include GRR Martin, Robin Hobb, Jacqueline Carey, Brandon Sanderson and more. I love worlds I can immerse myself in, great stories and cool magic systems.

Now off to explore. If I'm not seen for a few days, please send cookies.

robertbevan

Troubadour
yeah, i guess that is kinda backwards... but it's all the same. welcome to MS. i find this place to be a lot cozier than some other forums i'm a member of.