• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Game of Thrones - finally

kayd_mon

Sage
I heard on the radio this morning that only seven seasons will be made, and GRRM has informed the producers of the necessary plot points. It's also his goal to finish the books first. I think we all know who will win that race.

As for me, it looks like I'll finish watching the series in ten years, after the last two books have been released.

Hi,

Just watched season three on DVD - my gosh has it got bloody and sadistic. Have only read the first two books and so think I've moved beyond them now. I certainly don't remember the wedding ambush - but it was a very long time ago that I read the books. My main worry though it that they're starting to run out of main cast members. Caitlin and Rob gone? Woah!

Cheers, Greg.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I'm reading book 5, and just read the first "Reek" (Theon Greyjoy's) scene, which is season 3 on film. So I guess there can be no doubt that, while season 4 is mainly finishing book 3, some of 4 & 5 would creep in.

I don't think any of book 4 has been aired yet, even though a bit of book 5 (at least Reek/Theon) has been.

The Red Wedding was harsher on film than in the book. No pregnant woman was killed in the book. Robb had his wife stay home, which Frey said would have been smart. (He said that on the show.)

Last edited:

taiwwa

Scribe
So I just started watching the tv series as well.

I scoffed at the fandom of it, but I am enjoying it. I especially like the realistic political situation and backstory that was crafted here.

The show does make me think that inherently, fantasy will always enjoy a larger audience than sci fi.

kayd_mon

Sage
I think fantasy is more accessible than sci-fi, largely because it is not too fsr removed from some classic stories that young children usually enjoy (many Disney films, Robin Hood, King Arthur, lots of fairy tales). Sci-fi will have a tech or science angle that will alienate some people, whereas magic is usually an easy concept for an audience to accept.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I think having daughters is turning me into some kind of feminist. I'm rooting for the Dany, and hoping that somehow her going into power can work out for a couple of other awesome girls in the story. (Arya, of course, and…)

…Brienne's still a possibility. I have a theory, but I didn't peek ahead at the Jaime chapter(s). Hopefully, I'll be all caught up during April vacation.

Looking forward to this GoT season!

Last edited by a moderator:

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I need to ask the question, who do you lot support to sit on the Iron Throne? I have to go Stannis Baratheon

I'm going to go with none of the above (meaning none of the current contenders). While I like Dany, she's a Targareyen, meaning I assume (more) bad things are going to happen to her. It would be fitting if the White Walkers just destroyed the whole petty lot of them, but I don't suspect the ending would be that bleak.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I'm going to go with none of the above (meaning none of the current contenders). While I like Dany, she's a Targareyen, meaning I assume (more) bad things are going to happen to her. It would be fitting if the White Walkers just destroyed the whole petty lot of them, but I don't suspect the ending would be that bleak.
Of course, if a "new guy" comes along and takes the throne, I'd be disappointed.

If no one got the throne (but the world isn't​ destroyed), that could work.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Why does she need to share the throne with anyone? Are there theories like this about the male contenders?

Noma Galway

Archmage
I'm not saying she needs to. I'm saying she most likely will have someone she shares the throne with. I would love it if she didn't have anyone, but that is unlikely as she will need an heir.

As for the male contenders, I'll do this in order of who I'm remembering as being a contender so far.
Robb Stark-Married...and dead.
Stannis Baratheon-Married, not likely that that will change
Renly Baratheon-Dead.
Joffrey-Dead :D
Balon Greyjoy-Both married and dead.
Tommen? Married and already sharing the throne.
So out of the current contenders, they are either female or married, as far as I can see. I figured the spoiler tags would be a good thing. The first tags go up to the end of season 3. After that, it's all book stuff that I couldn't see as in the show yet.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Oh, I'm not saying it's you, hon. It just seems to be the default setting. With men it's, "He's a contender for the throne." With women it's, "She's a contender for the throne. Who's going to be her king?" There's always that tag line.

Now, yes, this is absolutely historically accurate... but it just makes me twitch in a fantasy setting where we can twist the default settings. And I do love messing with those. ;)

Noma Galway

Archmage
You do have a really good point, Lowan. It's definitely a mindset people have, and I would love it if GRRM would mix that up a bit, but I just don't see it happening. With what he's done with his female characters, though...Cersei and Arya are my favorite characters. And Cersei comes first. It makes a lot of my friends cringe. But Tyrion is third :D.

Last edited:

SeverinR

Vala
I need to ask the question, who do you lot support to sit on the Iron Throne? I have to go Stannis Baratheon
Maybe they won't have a king/queen? The north has no royalty. Dany dislikes slavery and is growing in her dislike of royalty.

Why does she need to share the throne with anyone? Are there theories like this about the male contenders?
I don't think they will have a sole leader, man or woman, and if they are married, one will not be just a figure head.

I'm not saying she needs to. I'm saying she most likely will have someone she shares the throne with. I would love it if she didn't have anyone, but that is unlikely as she will need an heir.

As for the male contenders, I'll do this in order of who I'm remembering as being a contender so far.
Robb Stark-Married...and dead.
Stannis Baratheon-Married, not likely that that will change
Renly Baratheon-Dead.
Joffrey-Dead :D
Balon Greyjoy-Both married and dead.
Tommen? Married and already sharing the throne.
So out of the current contenders, they are either female or married, as far as I can see. I figured the spoiler tags would be a good thing. The first tags go up to the end of season 3. After that, it's all book stuff that I couldn't see as in the show yet.

I believe there will be three leaders each with a dragon, two might be married or they each might have their own spouse.

The little conflict of humans will be dropped for the greater threat. From that war, the leadership will arise.

Gendry and Dany have noble blood, both are currently alive and unmarried.

I wonder if the bastards unite? Snow and Gendry? hmmm...

taiwwa

Scribe
So I'm almost finished with Season 3.

Some thoughts...

-- to everyone who liked the Star Wars Prequels...this is what genuine political complexity looks like.

-- The Lord of Light is pretty cool. Reminiscent of Christianity entering British Isles. I like how true it is to the essence of Christianity, without being overly political or being some thinly veiled allegory.

-- The writer seems to be pretty aggressive in ending character arcs before they become tiresome. In general, I like how the writer takes many choices which are plausible yet improbable. I fully expected Ned Stark to live.

-- In the end, what happens? How about a multi-party parliamentary democracy?