• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Genre Woes

Trick

Auror
It's been a while since I've been here, overtime and full time school are to blame, but I've been struggling with a question that I knew people here have thought about.

I can't classify my book...

I hear often enough that a specific genre is something of a requirement for publishing but, even though I'm not at the marketing stage yet, I want opinions on the genre because it will help me in my writing as well. I think reading books that fall into the category of mine would be great reads and I need help finding them.

Ok, here goes: It's a first person (memoir style) story of a boy who grows up in poverty. His whole race lives at night and sleeps during the day and are separated from the wealthy "day" society by a huge wall. The day society has hover vehicles and my version of computers and all sorts of advanced technology. The night society, called Murks, has the leavings of previous technology: limited electricity, gas powered vehicles that are older than dirt, etc. The Murks do the dirty work, including all of the farming and janitorial things; they are let into the Day city, called Epyria, by teleporter, as the walls are sealed and only hover vehicles can come and go.

The MC sees his father murdered, becomes a thief, becomes an assassin, goes to jail. In jail he learns of his peoples ancient magic. He escapes, gets the magic and goes on a personal vendetta mission against his enemies and stumbles into battling the villain who is the poilitical leader turned dictator of Epyria.

There is a lot of dark imagery, violence and despair combined with action, suspense and magic. There are also the scfi-fi aspects, the crime (organized and otherwise) plus the mentor/student relationship in prison. On top of it all, the MC is largely selfish and only cares about one other person by the end of the book.

This is not supposed to be Earth in any stage, way or time period.

Any thoughts?

Trick

Auror
I agree but not completely because from all the definitions I've found there have to be elements of horror. I know this is all a matter of opinion but I feel like dark fantasy is just not... specific enough? I don't know, I can't explain the exact feeling...

Helen

Inkling
For example, Twilight on imdb.com is drama, fantasy, romance.

There's no reason yours can't be fantasy, horror, drama.

Or something like that.

Trick

Auror
I guess I might be looking for a genre that doesn't exist. Not under one name anyway. I would really like to fit snugly into one of the popular fantasy subgenres but I feel like my understanding of them is limited. To be honest, if I took out the electricity I would call it Dark Steampunk. There's definitely a Victorian feel when it comes to culture.

Listing genres on IMDB is one thing. Fantasy, Sci-fi, Crime, Coming of Age might seem accurate but it just says to me, "This doesn't fit in our premade boxes." Which can be both very good and very bad.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I agree with Fat Cat. Sounds like science fantasy. I wouldn't worry too much about finding your genre until you're finished with the book and start submitting it to people. Even then, the publisher is the one that's going to determine your genre anyway. That is unless your self-publishing. In that case, it's a bit more important.

If I could recommend some books, I'd say Dune and Gene Wolfe's writing could be classified in this way, but I find those books hard to truly classify.

Last edited:
And don't hurt yourself too badly trying to classify your story "by the rules."

On the one hand, half the time you'll be summarizing it yourself in three lines, two lines, or ten words of your own choosing. If "dark" or "science fantasy" are good parts of that mix, great, but only if they earn their place in that limited word count.

On the other, finding a formal subclass for it... If you look at some of the entries on Amazon, you start to see they're the result of readers making some terms more popular than others, and authors trying to hit that bullet with their own bullet while pundits and the Amazon system try to capture that shifting state with categories, and the cycle spins on. It's not that the semi-official terms don't exist, it's that for an author they aren't as important as what's going to play off the system right. This week.

So, maybe the best thing to do (besides working on your summarizing and general promoting knowledge) might be to do just what you've done: crowd-source what to call it.

(Now, let the fur fly...)

Helen

Inkling
Trying to figure out the genre beforehand is, possibly, a form of procrastination.

Create the characters and problems and get going and the genre unfolds.

Darkblade

Troubadour
I understand the pain of trying to pin-point your story's genre. Sometimes knowing genre definitions can give you a bit more of an inspirational push. Still you would do well to remember that genres are largely broad strokes definitions that often heavily overlap with one another, especially in speculative fiction so there is no completely right or wrong answer when it comes to specific sub genres.

Regardless your story sounds like a Dark YA Science Fantasy with some post-apocalyptic elements.

Telcontar

Staff
Ugh. Personally I hate the term science fantasy, and would suggest just calling it fantasy. While that word alone often brings connotatiosn of the usual medieval europe type setting, once they read your synopsis they'll have a better idea. Your description of the genre won't exist in a vacuum - I can't think of any book I've been looking at where I didn't read the cover copy.

Trick

Auror
Thanks to all for the responses! Getting opinions was the whole point of this post and I'm glad to get your input.

So far science fantasy/Dark sci-fan is the closest I've come as well. Somewhere I read that if your work has a lot of cynicism and is in the science fantasy genre folks are calling it dungeon punk... As much as I would like to have a specific genre I can't even keep a straight face when I say that.

Curious friend: "What genre is your book?"

"Oh, it's... it's um... dunge... it's science fantasy." - and then my face turns a little red...

Here's a question for you, Trick. You said "Coming of Age." How old is your protagonist?

The book is two parts and in the first he is 12-15 for about 95% and in the second he is about twenty (haven't nailed my chronology down yet because I need to see how a few things play out.)

Nobby

Sage
I think the problem you are going to run into if you try to pin your work down, is that nobody has written what you are writing - it's a statistical impossibility. Fantasy is fantasy, it is what isn't...if you see what I mean.
This from someone who tried to sell Firefly to his Dad with "Western in Space"!

Oh, and I have an unnatural instinct to call out [anything]punk as lazy and trite ;)

Trick

Auror
KC Herbel,

I'm not so sure about the 'Urban' part, even though my WIP is largely in a city, the connotation is not quite right. Dystopian Fantasy or Dystopian Science Fantasy is great though. Thanks for the suggestion.

KC Herbel,

I'm not so sure about the 'Urban' part, even though my WIP is largely in a city, the connotation is not quite right. Dystopian Fantasy or Dystopian Science Fantasy is great though. Thanks for the suggestion.

From the FAQ on Urbanfantasyland.net:

The “urban” in urban fantasy is a metaphor. “Urban” distinguishes these stories as being different from “epic” or “traditional” or “high” fantasy. Urban fantasy is “urban” in the sense that a city is thought to be forward-thinking, advanced and contained— a sociological microcosm. In the way that a city is a separate society with its own culture, so too in UF, fantasy creatures live a separate society or separate culture. These hidden worlds are there for the protagonist to discover. But even this is not a requirement as there are plenty of urban fantasy stories where the fantasy world is exposed, even incorporated into the rest of society.

Urban fantasy is urban in the same sense as urban legend or urban myth. This is where the term originates. In fact, if you go back to Wikipedia and look up urban legend, you’ll see a definition that’s better suited to urban fantasy. “A form of modern folklore”, “does not necessarily originate in an urban area”. “The compelling appeal . . . is its elements of mystery, horror, fear or humor.”

But not every fan would agree.

Trick

Auror
The “urban” in urban fantasy is a metaphor. “Urban” distinguishes these stories as being different from “epic” or “traditional” or “high” fantasy. Urban fantasy is “urban” in the sense that a city is thought to be forward-thinking, advanced and contained– a sociological microcosm. In the way that a city is a separate society with its own culture, so too in UF, fantasy creatures live a separate society or separate culture. These hidden worlds are there for the protagonist to discover. But even this is not a requirement as there are plenty of urban fantasy stories where the fantasy world is exposed, even incorporated into the rest of society.

Part of this description fits my WIP but honestly, High fantasy or Bildungsroman come even closer. Especially if you put Dark in there somewhere. With the presence of highly advanced technology, races that have a superior/inferior relationship, the abundance of crime, the bitterness of the main character and the political drama I have to stick with Dystopian Science Fantasy. My other WIP is a Spiritual Urban Fantasy and I can feel the difference between them, even though they both have Bildungsroman qualities.