• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ghosts?!

PrincessaMiranda

Troubadour
Do you believe in ghosts? Ive seen a couple of things that seem like ghosts, or spirits. What is your take (Fantastical or theoretical) on the afterlife and world of Spirits?

Chilari

Staff
My local theatre is said to be haunted. I used to do backstage stuff there and never saw anything. I think the board of trustees encourages it and probably even makes some stuff up because it really plays into their hands at Halloween, when the theatre organises a ghost walk around the town.

My stance is that of a skeptic, always. I don't believe in anything supernatural. I don't believe in souls, or psychics, or life after death. There is no evidence. There is nothing scientific or measurable about ghosts. Now perhaps we don't have the technological level yet to measure supernatural things, but when there are a dozen possible explanations for a phenomenon and no real reason to pick one above all the rest, the answer can only be that we don't know what caused it until there is measurable data which either rules out other explanations or positively supports one explanation.

There's a video on Youtube (which I can't access because I'm at work right now) by Qualiasoup on the supernatural; I can't remember what it's called but I think it's about a year old.

As far as ghosthunting shows are concerned, I don't believe a word of them. It's all about creating a spooky atmosphere, jumping at every noise you hear, and knowing enough about the history of the building to be able to make it seem real. In reality, old buildings do make noises. As they cool they shift in the foundations. If there is working but not recently installed plumbing, that will definitely creak as the metal contracts when it cools. I live in an old house (c 180 years old) and there are noises all the time. In fact at one point a friend came over and was convinced there were ghosts in the attic because he heard noises above our heads - until I told him that there were some blackbirds living in the space above my dormer window and when they left it they'd make loud clacking noises on the roof tiles and stuff.

My family (Parents, grandparents, siblings and husband!) thinks ghosts etc are real, I however can't believe in something I can't see, touch, and hear myself.
Perhaps I spent too much time in the lab IDK, just the way I am.
Ghosts are whimsical at best, and sometimes I wish I could buy into the whole deal... Would be kind of cool but, yeah if I were a ghosty I can't imagine hanging out in this hell hole a moment longer than was absolutely necessary... Go figure, I'd rather find myself a nice remote island and swim the depest part of the ocean sans cumbersome gear and if God is real I think I could spend several lifetimes getting answers to all the questions Humans have ever had.
I do however enjoy the silly shows like ghost hunters etc, the simple special effects and acting are just neat to watch.
:mask::skull::eek2::bat:

Last edited:

Kit

Maester
Open minded. I haven't had any personal experience with ghosts in particular, but I've experienced enough Weird Stuff to know that there's a lot out there that we don't understand.

Last edited:

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I absolutely believe in ghosts, demons, yetis, leprechauns and many other impossible things... I love to believe in it, to believe that the universe is much more than just what we can see, hear and touch!!

My personal opinion is that our mind, consciousness, soul or whatever that we are is a kind of very special energy (the energy of consciousness, maybe?) and the Afterlife is very similar to a world made of dreams... or, to be more precise, a fantastic lucid dream where you can create your own world =)

Ghosts in particular are energy that remains in this world instead of moving somewhere else, and they can have a collection of excellent reasons to remain attached here instead of "moving on" like they are supposed to do- Also, the paranormal activities are not always caused by ghosts...

Another thing that I believe is that ghosts, contrary to popular belief, can physically hurt you even though human ghosts are not nearly as dangerous as other things out there.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I'm always somewhat skeptical of a person's supernatural accounts. I do try and stay open minded to the possibilities that there is more going on around us than our normal senses are able to perceive.

My skepticism has grown mainly from 7 out of 10 women I've ever known claiming to be psychic in some manner (no gender offense intended ladies, just relaying my personal experiences). I even had a girl tell me once that she knew she was meant to be a witch because streetlights often blink out whenever she walks by.... Okaaaaay.

Anyway, back on topic, I believe in possibilities. I'm skeptical by nature and experience. I'm not so arrogant as to think I've got it all figured out. There's plenty of things in the universe that defy explanation.

Last edited:

Telcontar

Staff
Nope. I've never seen anything that others say were supposed to be ghosts that were not easily explainable other ways. I like the idea of ghosts though, mostly cuz I like the idea of being able to hang around the world and watch things happen after I'm dead. Haunting people might also be fun.

PrincessaMiranda

Troubadour
I absolutely believe in ghosts, demons, yetis, leprechauns and many other impossible things... I love to believe in it, to believe that the universe is much more than just what we can see, hear and touch!!

My personal opinion is that our mind, consciousness, soul or whatever that we are is a kind of very special energy (the energy of consciousness, maybe?) and the Afterlife is very similar to a world made of dreams... or, to be more precise, a fantastic lucid dream where you can create your own world =)

Ghosts in particular are energy that remains in this world instead of moving somewhere else, and they can have a collection of excellent reasons to remain attached here instead of "moving on" like they are supposed to do- Also, the paranormal activities are not always caused by ghosts...

Another thing that I believe is that ghosts, contrary to popular belief, can physically hurt you even though human ghosts are not nearly as dangerous as other things out there.

I have almost the same dream theory you do. In fact I have written a blog about the exact thing...
Castles in the Stars

The third post named The Land Of Dreams and Nightmares.

Its something that nags in my brain, so I wrote it down.

PrincessaMiranda

Troubadour
I am oddly skeptical when it comes to spirits, but I believe nevertheless. I have had true experiences with 'something'. The unknown is what gets to you and causes your brain to try and fill in the gaps. But the experiences I have had werent caused by paranoia, I was just minding my business when these things happened. Im the opposite of psychic, skeptical( I find the explanation BEFORE I jump to conclusions) and analytical. Things do happen.

I believe in God and this is my take on "ghosts." it has been said in the Bible that once a person is dead, then they are dead and are not part of this world anymore (excluding Jesus and Lazarus's Resurrection) I don't believe it is possible for ghosts of people that have died to "wander." That would suggest that they are beyond God's control. There are lots of people who claim to have seen ghosts or paranormal things. I don't believe that they are ghosts but instead demons deceiving people. My take on it is that "ghosts" are only "real" because you allow them to be. I think it is sort of like a demon deceiving you to think that ghosts are real because that is not the truth and they want you to believe in false truths. Maybe I'm wrong, who am I to say if these things are true or not? It's not really my place to question them. I have my Faith in God and that is more than enough :)

EDIT: @T.Allen.Smith That happened to me before in my old neighborhood when I was a kid. Every time I would walk by this one streetlight at night it would go out. Scared the crap out of me!

Last edited:
To paraphrase Pratchett, it's not whether you believe in them, it's whether they believe in you. I've never met a ghost, but I have no vested interest in saying they're not real, so why waste the breath?

As an alternate approach:

you want to know
whether i believe in ghosts
of course i do not believe in them
if you had known
as many of them as i have
you would not
believe in them either
--Don Marquis

JCFarnham

Auror
As far as my experiences in life go, I've wanted to believe but can't really because I've never seen or experienced anything remotely "measurable" during a time when I can properly remember it (ie, after the age of 3 or 4). However, one holiday when I was about Five my family went on a holiday to Mexico and we ended up spending a day at some mayan ruins (could have been another tribe, I was young, I can't remember). I went into the structure with my dad, even as far as the passage would let us... but, I've never wanted to get out of some where more in my life. It felt evil to five year old me.

Now, something that does intrigue me about paranormal phenomena is that believers seems to experience far more than non believers. The psychoanalytical part of my mind wants to say "when you are open to the idea you draw conclusions which to your mind become the truth regardless of measureable evidence." In fact this (coupled with the fact I'm skeptical and haven't experienced anything... yet) interests me so much, I've added this foundation of belief into my urban fantasy novels. Magic and the Fae are real, but you won't see them or anything of the sort unless you want to. Doesn't mean they can't hurt you.. you just won't understand whats going on.

gavintonks

Maester
I grew up with 3 terrified the life out of me until I realized they never harmed me one was a cat used to run through the kitchen, then a huge undertaker in victorian clothes walked down the passage frightened me witless and then a Victorian lady used to sit on the edge of my parents bed, used to get such a fright especially when I was alone in the house,but she always looked up and smiled at me so I eventually accepted it

My Grannan visits me, she keeps me grounded (makes me dig the garden and grow my own vegetables) and when my daughter smiles I see her as plain as day. I put her character with her own name into my book "Muddle Puddle", I could not be more haunted by her. She was what they call in the fens "a wise woman", a natural midwife and healer she used the poppy and nightshade with a knowledge and confidence that has been ignored today and she made a wicked elderberry wine.
If anyone would like to meet her read chapter 1
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stuart_John_Evison_AKA_Stuart_of_Ely/175920489109244

Last edited:

Kit

Maester
I went to the funeral of a friend; she was a Pagan priestess. She had known she was about to die (she had a terminal illness), and I had (with her invitation) purchased a plane ticket to go see her once more before she went. A couple of days before my visit, she passed.

The funeral was held in author Diana Paxson's home. There were a bunch of cats running around in the house, and I was following them around trying to pet them (I'm a huge Cat person), but there was a vast crowd and the cats were skittish, so none of them would let me touch them.

As the facilitator was going through the ritual, and all these people were packed like sardines into one room (I mean we were all pressed up against each other on every side), I was bawling. The facilitator asked for a moment of silence and invited our deceased friend to commune with us or send us energy/messages- I can't recall exactly what was said, but the person was asked to make contact if she wished to. Complete silence fell across the packed room. Immediately, I felt one of those cats push its way between my ankles. (It was so crowded that I couldn't even look down to see it.)

I don't attempt to analyze what that was, aside from the fact that I know my friend was responsible. She had been a very grandmotherly-type lady, and I'm sure would have wanted to comfort me if she saw me standing there bawling.

I know skeptics will say that this was a complete coincidence, but it wasn't.

Last edited:

Alex97

Troubadour
I'm a Christian so I believe in God but I have a very skeptical approach even to my own religion so I would never say I believe in ghosts but I also wouldn't say that I didn't believe in them. To put it bluntly I really don't know. I like to keep my mind open but with the evidance I don't think I can make a conclusion. In the same way that you could never disprove God (even if he/she does not exist) you could never disprove ghost so I soppose I'll never know unless I see one, but even then there are other explanations.

I remember my mum telling me she had a positive ghost experiance where she saw some figuire that was apparently standing on my dad's head although he was asleep. The next moring my aunt reported that she saw and felt it as well although neither of them have ever said that they believe in ghosts. Who knows? Maybe it was just some pervert.. :D

Shockley

Maester
I grew up in a household that a strong belief in ghosts, going so far as my mother saying she could locate ghosts just by looking at a house.

So no, I don't believe in ghosts.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Shockley said:
I grew up in a household that a strong belief in ghosts, going so far as my mother saying she could locate ghosts just by looking at a house.

So no, I don't believe in ghosts.

Lol.... Love that!

Helleaven

Minstrel
I do believe in spirits of the nature, in a god which has never sent any prophet or any books to this world, I believe in afterlife, in paranormal skills that some people possess, I believe that there are lots of things that we don't know about the universe, I believe (even if they don't have spaceships or super-technologies) that there are some living creatures in far galaxies, I believe in a religion which has been created by my inner senses and my inner thoughts.

But I don't believe in ghosts. At least I don't believe that spirits of humans or animals or plants are still lurking in our world. There are some inexplicable things that many people experience; but I believe that there has to be a reasonable explanation for all of those.

As long as science treats the paranormal studies like its step-child, those events will remain uncovered. Though I believe that the souls are immortal, I don't think they're still here and watching us. At least I wouldn't want to have an eternal life in which I'm suppose to watch everything behind an impassable veil.