• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Grafting a Reoccuring Dream?

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
While I have had dreams that have laid out entire plotlines or given me interesting characters before (even if most of them are still lined up in my "to be written" queue), that hasn't happened often. With the exception of this one. I know that grafting dreams into stories seems to have a rather poor reputation (not going to name any, as I think it's perfectly obvious ...); but it does have potential in it's own way. Even if I haven't done Contemporary/Urban Fantasy before.

Over an extended period of time, I've had it several times; each more detailed than the last. The ages that I distinctly remember it at are 7/8ish, 10, 13, 15, 16, and again fairly recently. So you have some idea of context so I can get opinions, here is a rough summary of the dream:

Well, the dream takes place - mostly - in the middle of the night. This in itself makes it hard to tell part of what is going on, but I[?] am more or less walking along either a dirt or cobbled road [it's changed between sequences]. Nothing special or particularly interesting at first. Then someone else crosses my path. He's a little taller, but it's hard to see exactly what he looks like.

Though the company is somewhat warily accepted, as the night goes on, then things start happening. Upon stopping for whatever reason, the both of us are jumped. Then the dream jumps forward with several disjointed scenes: Something akin to lycanthroopy, except it is the growing of scales and claws in a draconian manner; running through woods in a dog-like way, but can clearly feel that it's scales and not paws hitting the ground; then snowfall. It looks like a bit of a cultish thing, or a gathering that most obviously wouldn't approve of considering the hard to reach location, but I never see what actually happens. The next scene is blood on the snow, and then I fall through ice.

(There is an obvious time skip between the three disjointed scenes, though.)

The write-up is obviously in first person because the POV is debatable, but if I do write this, it'll be in third person. But I have a couple questions for this.

1. As previously stated, having no experience in this subgenre, what would someone who has or does write it suggest?
2. What cliches or tropes are common in the Contemporary/Urban side of the genre?
3. Cliche questions aside - What would be your honest opinion of the base section of the idea?
4. I personally haven't seen reptilian-base shapeshifting focus before, but perhaps you have?

And anything else that may come to mind. Since I'm quite familiar with this dream, I'll try to answer any questions you might have pertaining my own. Thank you in advance for your time. ^^

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
I personally never thought that the reptilian shapeshifting could work, seeing as it is a human that is warm-blooded transforming into a cold-blooded reptile. Although, on the other hand, I have read where dragons can turn themselves into humans, and then back.

I would assume this as some sort of underground race that lives in secrecy. These reptilian creatures remind me of lizardfolk of the D&D sort, but more primal and less organized. Or perhaps they are just slumbering, something like Reign of Fire, and are awakened suddenly. Your first point of view might have been a first victim, or possibly even a hunter of them, maybe even they are dragons that can transform into humans? You never know.

As for the snowfall, I would assume that as the death of the reptilian creatures - they couldn't survive in it. Perhaps it was a nuclear winter brought on the world from the reptiles rising up? It would decimate both sides, but far more effectively against the reptiles.

Disssscussss :p

Silverglass

The only dragon/human I can think of is Janx in C.E. Murphy's Negotiator trilogy. I'm guessing that he is still warm-blooded even in his dragon form (fire and all that....) I'm sure there are other examples but can't think of any at the moment. Since dragons are fantasy creatures, I don't think you have to stick to the reptile=cold blood rule.

Saigonnus

Auror
I think any story should have an foundation in reality, unlike the often ephemeral quality of dreams. Decide whether the road is dirt, brick, cobblestones etc... and where does the road go. Is it a village? a farmhouse? the outskirts of town? The shadowy man could work as the chief antagonist and mystery shrouding a character is often used as a literary device to keep the readers guessing on what he/she really looks like. Maybe they are wearing a trenchcoat and fedora like the old gangster films or perhaps it's simply how the shadows obscure his face from his place leaning against the storefront. Maybe he wears a hooded cloak and sits on a rock wall in a sleepy medieval village. The scenario could be good for just about any "genre" you can imagine; whether urban fantasy, dark fantasy or even sci-fi.

Think of a sequence of events that could encompass the base elements of the dream. Maybe one of the characters companions knows the shadowy figure and vouches for them with the others. Maybe it's more of a sensation that they are there then then really being there. As for the shapeshifting, perhaps the dramatic and violent events trigger the MCs "protection" that they didn't know they had. Maybe they were a failed experiment in a lab when they were a child and wiped that traumatic memory from their mind or maybe it's a magical effect.

The gathering in the woods/rural spot could be who sent the "shadowy figure" and he simply stands aside while the people try to take the MC into custody. Perhaps the shadowy figure is a protector of sorts who keeps the pursuers through the woods ooff until they arrive and the MC watches helplessly as they sacrifice themselves for the MC, but they escape and fall into a crevasse beneath the loosepacked snow, making the "villains" to think they died.

1. As previously stated, having no experience in this subgenre, what would someone who has or does write it suggest?

*Never written much in the urban fantasy, but i'd say anything (including the lycanthropy) can be explained rationally and believably.

2. What cliches or tropes are common in the Contemporary/Urban side of the genre?

*Government controlling people (like they don't already to some degree), rebellion against said government. Secret labs, secret societies, private investigators, paranormal investigators, hackers.

3. Cliche questions aside - What would be your honest opinion of the base section of the idea?

*I think the idea definitely has merit and likely would be something i'd read if it's done properly.

4. I personally haven't seen reptilian-base shapeshifting focus before, but perhaps you have?

While I haven't seen repilian based lycanthropy, it isn't really that far-fetched in comparison with rats, bears, bats etc... I think it could be something new to the whole fantasy genre; whether that be urban, high, low, dark fantasy etc.[/

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
I personally never thought that the reptilian shapeshifting could work, seeing as it is a human that is warm-blooded transforming into a cold-blooded reptile. Although, on the other hand, I have read where dragons can turn themselves into humans, and then back.

I would assume this as some sort of underground race that lives in secrecy. These reptilian creatures remind me of lizardfolk of the D&D sort, but more primal and less organized. Or perhaps they are just slumbering, something like Reign of Fire, and are awakened suddenly. Your first point of view might have been a first victim, or possibly even a hunter of them, maybe even they are dragons that can transform into humans? You never know.

As for the snowfall, I would assume that as the death of the reptilian creatures - they couldn't survive in it. Perhaps it was a nuclear winter brought on the world from the reptiles rising up? It would decimate both sides, but far more effectively against the reptiles.

Disssscussss :p

Actually, I already have a variation of the first in my main novel world. ^_^"

Having this ... species live in seclusion makes sense, though, considering it's tentatively a Contemporary thing. But since I've only got one DnD base trilogy (and I haven't even gotten a chance to read it yet), I'm not sure what "lizardfolk" means in that context. Shapeshifting is a given, though, even if it is somewhat painful. But on the flip side, you could compare them to liquid steel in fluidity and strength. The scene of running through the woods was possibly the only one that wasn't overshadowed by a sense of foreboding. These reptiles are predators, and apparently realize it.

I still have to decide on their origins and how their 'society' works, but I do have some ideas. I'd rather avoid the "sudden reawakening", though. Predators either adapt or die out in most cases, after all.

The only dragon/human I can think of is Janx in C.E. Murphy's Negotiator trilogy. I'm guessing that he is still warm-blooded even in his dragon form (fire and all that....) I'm sure there are other examples but can't think of any at the moment. Since dragons are fantasy creatures, I don't think you have to stick to the reptile=cold blood rule.

I haven't heard of that series, but I'll write it down to see if I can find it. But that is, again, a valid point. I just need to decide their physical characteristics.

I think any story should have an foundation in reality, unlike the often ephemeral quality of dreams. Decide whether the road is dirt, brick, cobblestones etc... and where does the road go. Is it a village? a farmhouse? the outskirts of town? The shadowy man could work as the chief antagonist and mystery shrouding a character is often used as a literary device to keep the readers guessing on what he/she really looks like. Maybe they are wearing a trenchcoat and fedora like the old gangster films or perhaps it's simply how the shadows obscure his face from his place leaning against the storefront. Maybe he wears a hooded cloak and sits on a rock wall in a sleepy medieval village. The scenario could be good for just about any "genre" you can imagine; whether urban fantasy, dark fantasy or even sci-fi.

Think of a sequence of events that could encompass the base elements of the dream. Maybe one of the characters companions knows the shadowy figure and vouches for them with the others. Maybe it's more of a sensation that they are there then then really being there. As for the shapeshifting, perhaps the dramatic and violent events trigger the MCs "protection" that they didn't know they had. Maybe they were a failed experiment in a lab when they were a child and wiped that traumatic memory from their mind or maybe it's a magical effect.

The gathering in the woods/rural spot could be who sent the "shadowy figure" and he simply stands aside while the people try to take the MC into custody. Perhaps the shadowy figure is a protector of sorts who keeps the pursuers through the woods off until they arrive and the MC watches helplessly as they sacrifice themselves for the MC, but they escape and fall into a crevasse beneath the loosepacked snow, making the "villains" to think they died.

*Never written much in the urban fantasy, but i'd say anything (including the lycanthropy) can be explained rationally and believably.

*Government controlling people (like they don't already to some degree), rebellion against said government. Secret labs, secret societies, private investigators, paranormal investigators, hackers.

*I think the idea definitely has merit and likely would be something i'd read if it's done properly.

While I haven't seen repilian based lycanthropy, it isn't really that far-fetched in comparison with rats, bears, bats etc... I think it could be something new to the whole fantasy genre; whether that be urban, high, low, dark fantasy etc.

Hmm ... Some of your suggestions definitely give me things to think about. Particularly most of the second paragraph (save for the lab experimentation, but still), and definite parts of the third. Since I already have some ideas about the main character(s), though, some of these will go hand in hand.

As for the cliches, it seems like almost every modern-base fantasy book I've read has had most - if not all - of those. Kind of sad, really. Obviously will have some blending to do if I decide to stick with the original inclination to try out Urban/Contemporary. Even if I do keep one or two of them, it'll probably be put on it's head.

Thank you for such a well-thought reply, Saigonnus. It's much appreciated. ^^

Saigonnus

Auror
Hmm ... Some of your suggestions definitely give me things to think about. Particularly most of the second paragraph (save for the lab experimentation, but still), and definite parts of the third. Since I already have some ideas about the main character(s), though, some of these will go hand in hand.

As for the cliches, it seems like almost every modern-base fantasy book I've read has had most - if not all - of those. Kind of sad, really. Obviously will have some blending to do if I decide to stick with the original inclination to try out Urban/Contemporary. Even if I do keep one or two of them, it'll probably be put on it's head.

Thank you for such a well-thought reply, Saigonnus. It's much appreciated. ^^

I appreciate that and I hope I have helped, since I am really not familiar with much urban fantasy, though I do have a concept idea set in "modern" period of my fantasy world (as opposed to earth). I think clichés will occur in most stories by the very nature of the "genre" but fortunately for clichés, they can often work if approached in a new way or at the least a lesser used way or as you said "turned on its head".

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
Well, I've gotten to where I actually enjoy inverting some cliches just to see how they change the direction of the story if I use them. The whole reason I avoid reading most Urban/Contemporary, though, is because a good majority of them (though not all, I'll admit) are the same story. It's hard to find one that's actually fresh.

With any luck, I might be able to change that with this dream/idea. I'm more than welcome to more opinions, though.