• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Half pregnant

If you really want a good rule for critting, here's an idea:

When someone asks for feedback, never talk about grammar or spelling (except, perhaps, for glaring, heinous errors). Talk about characterization, pacing, and story/scene structure. Those are a lot harder to get right than whether the prose flows.

gavintonks

Maester
Er... because it's human nature (and the nature of almost all lifeforms) to try to gain resources without having to expend any of their own energy? Organisms that didn't evolve that instinct didn't do very well.

Certainly we should try to encourage reciprocation, but again, there's no need here for a formal system.

To er is divine the rest is huma

Jess A

Archmage
Maybe instead of a limit there could be a counter beside each person's avatar advising that they have contributed so many critics, which might serve as an incentive.

Cheers, Greg.

Incentives work better than red tape. I think this is a valid idea. If writers and forum-users place value on sharing critiques, then surely this counter could serve as an addition to one's reputation. I've no idea how it would be coded, but it is a good idea.

Incentives work better than red tape. I think this is a valid idea. If writers and forum-users place value on sharing critiques, then surely this counter could serve as an addition to one's reputation. I've no idea how it would be coded, but it is a good idea.

I think the idea here is that if you critique someone's work and they appreciated your help that you should click on the "Thanks" button to add to their reputation. Splitting off critiques might make it seem like we think critiques are more important than being helpful and useful in the other forums.

Jess A

Archmage
I think the idea here is that if you critique someone's work and they appreciated your help that you should click on the "Thanks" button to add to their reputation. Splitting off critiques might make it seem like we think critiques are more important than being helpful and useful in the other forums.

True, but it was a good suggestion from psychotik and I thought it should be noted. My point here is that red tape can be very off-putting in a forum situation.

gavintonks

Maester
What do you mean? Sorry my brain has shut off for the day.

I assist a client to manage their facebook page and group and you need to post every single day which is an allocation of time as a resource, so unless a process is automated it requires time to manage. time is equal to money.

So to keep a board running smoothly and people engaged takes hours of your time, mostly unpaid - hope that helps

Jess A

Archmage
I assist a client to manage their facebook page and group and you need to post every single day which is an allocation of time as a resource, so unless a process is automated it requires time to manage. time is equal to money.

So to keep a board running smoothly and people engaged takes hours of your time, mostly unpaid - hope that helps

Ah I get you now. Was lost on the context of your comment.