• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Having a publishing record

Lorna

Inkling
I'm currently working on my first novel as well as writing poetry and the occasional short story. When it comes to attempting to publish my novel how much account is taken of previous publications? (I've had a couple of poems published in small press magazines and online but no stories yet.)

Is it worth taking time out from the novel and spending a period of time attempting to build a record or do publishers tend to go on the quality of your manuscript alone?

Ravana

Istar
Don't worry about "trying" to build a record. They help, sure: it's just that it isn't worth deliberately trying to build up for its own sake.

Conversely, unless your record is like that of, say, Stephen King, there's no way it will override quality of manuscript in any event.

So, no, don't "take time out" from the novel specifically to write other things first. Do write those other things when they come to you, and definitely try to get them in circulation once they're ready to go. They'll never be a deciding consideration by themselves; they might make an editor more disposed to read an extra page or two of your manuscript, knowing someone has felt it worthwhile to publish your material previously.

I agree with everything Ravana said and then add one more thing. Since your poems were published, but you are writing novels don't include your poem publication credentials. It is not germane to issue and showing it will make it look like you are grasping to put "something" in there. Many authors get published with no prior credentials. Focus the query on hooking their attention and let the manuscript do the rest.