• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello to all

New to forums full stop, let alone writing forums. I have written for a few years now and Ive just finnished my first novel.

Finding an agent seems tricky, would anyone reccoment winning (or trying to win) a few writing competitions first to give you something to say about yourself before approaching agents/publishers?

Ghost

Inkling
I wouldn't recommend that. After describing your novel in a query letter, just talk about yourself (1-3 sentences worth) if you don't have relevant experience. Agents are probably more interested in the sample pages anyway.

If you really want to have more than that, try submitting short stories for publication in addition to contests. The odds are probably better and it proves you're publishable. Give yourself a time limit so your novel isn't stuck in limbo while you spend all your energy trying to pad your query letter. I don't think it's such a big advantage, but someone with more publishing experience might have more insight on that.

Miss Snark is a good reference if you're agent-hunting.

And welcome to the forum! I keep forgetting that bit, lol. :)

response

Ok thanks for that. I have a number of short stories in the wings so I will look to get something published somewhere. And in the meantime I will drum up a killer query letter

Thanks again