• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Help with my book plot?

Something isn't jelling for me in this story and being new to writing I don't know what the problem is. It just feel like the route of events is disjointed. Maybe it's just me. I just feel like there is something wrong and I don't know what it is and it's frustrating me. Some of it just feels very random and contrived. Any suggestions?

I do have a synopsis I wrote but I wasn't sure is posting it on here was a good idea or not, but if you need me to I can put it up. Not sure what section to put it on though, I don't have much time to spend on here so am still learning my way around.

Thanks so much guys

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
You could post your synopsis in the brainstorming page and ask for feedback on plot points. That's fun and I would help you with that.

Are you familiar with various story structures? (Three act structure, heroes journey, four act structure etc?)

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Without knowing any details it's hard to give you any specific help.

But if things feel disjointed, it maybe because there isn't a chain of cause and effect. Some call it Try-Fail cycles. I like to use Scene-Sequel format. But it's all the same.

It's the most basic form of a story/plot. It starts with a person with a problem. They try to solve that problem. They fail. That failure leads them to try something else. That fails too. They try something else again... etc. etc.

In scene-sequel format, there are two types of scenes, action scene, oft just called a scene, and a reaction scene, called the sequel.

The action scene contains the following.
1. Goal.
2. Obstacle to that goal.
3. Outcome of trying to reach that goal.

The reaction scene is a reaction to the outcome of the action scene. It contains the following.
1. Emotional Reaction to outcome.
2. Logical choices available to character.
3. Logical outcomes if character makes each of those choices.
4. Choice is made.

When the choice is made it becomes the goal to the next action scene. Note 2 and 3 from the reaction scene may be skipped. Only 1 and 4 are absolutely necessary.

With action scenes, there can only be 4 different outcomes.

1. Success.
2. Failure.
3. Success, but something bad happens because of it.
4. Failure, and something bad happens because of it.

No. 1, success without any consequence never happens until the end of the story. That's why it's the end. The rest of the outcomes leads into more story.

Here's a link to a simple example that illustrates this concept of scene sequel/Try fail. Can you spot this structure in the story?
THE OLD WOMAN AND HER PIG

Yes, I did some learning before attempting to write anything. I also watched Brandon Sanderson's lectures to get me going. But whether I've applied those things I will have to go through my synopsis and make sure.

I know about the try fail Cycle maybe I need to add some of that to my plot. I did do the "yes but...no and..." thing.

C

Chessie

The Anatomy Of Story by John Truby is probably the best plot related book I've read. It's thorough but very helpful and got me out of a similar rut to yours.