• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Book layout idea [desperate need of help]

Eeirail

Scribe
So I am already pretty far into the stoies I am writing and I just want to know if it seems like a good idea.

I am basically making multiple characters and merging their lives together, like for example I have a charecter whos brother runs off and in anohter charecters life she meets a mysterious man who is not named until you read the boy that ran offs side of the story and find out that he was the mysterious man, and so forth, I guess I need a better way of explaining it, but if you understand what I mean, I really want feedback on this idea.

Hmm.... your description is definitely a little fuzzy, but I think I get the basic idea. I do think it could work, if you did it right. One way you could do it is to group chapters into sections. Such as; before chapter 1, have a page that has just the title of the section- "Section 1: John Smith" or something like that. I wouldn't include the Section 1 part, but you get the idea. Then, have the regular chapters until the next section, where you would have a blank page with just the title again- "Section 2: Mary Ross". And then tie them together. It's an interesting idea, although it could be tricky to pull off well. Good luck!

gavintonks

Maester
it is all in the explanation I tried to have a character linked to charters as a pov, and it all sounded wonderful and the first drafts sounded great till I re read it 3 months later and it was as confusing as all hell

the story is in the story and no name brands seldom work as how do you relate to a nameless character?

Well, Eeirail, I applaud your efforts and can appreciate your desire to try something new. It might work very well, who knows? I would say work hard on it as long as you believe in the idea, and story.

The story is, of course, the main thing. If you have a cool unique new structure with a lame story, you've got nothing. So it's fine to work on a unique style of writing, just always remember that the story is the main thing.

Eeirail

Scribe
Well, Eeirail, I applaud your efforts and can appreciate your desire to try something new. It might work very well, who knows? I would say work hard on it as long as you believe in the idea, and story.

The story is, of course, the main thing. If you have a cool unique new structure with a lame story, you've got nothing. So it's fine to work on a unique style of writing, just always remember that the story is the main thing.
I appriciate the gratitude, the story is no problem, it is just piecing together all the charecters lives to fit into each other's