• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

High fantasy set in modern era

Ophiucha

Auror
I don't see why more people don't just make everything up and save themselves the trouble. :D That's what I do, at least. Which era/country do I know the most about politically? Modify that, insert into story. Architecture? Repeat. Geography? Repeat. Tweak and duct tape a few odd ideas so that everything molds together, and voila!, instant world.

Ravana

Istar
Tweak and duct tape a few odd ideas so that everything molds together, and voila!, instant world.

Careful–duct tape would be an anachronism (should I have capitalized that? ;) ) in most fantasy settings.…

Last edited by a moderator:

Ophiucha

Auror
Careful—duct tape would be an anachronism (should I have capitalized that? ;) ) in most fantasy settings.…
Psh, plastic was invented in the Victorian era. That's fine with my time line. Half the technology is futuristic, though, so I'm sure they've invented some sort of laser superglue beyond the abilities of duct tape.

myrddin173

Maester
later this year TOR is coming out with The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson, It's set in his high fantasy Mistborn world. In this book though the society has developed into an almost modern society, with guns, railroads, electric lights, and skyscrapers. In the Mistborn world the magic is all metal-based. Part of the main magic Allomancy involves the Pushing and Pulling of metals, which has led some fans to theorize what would happen if an Allomancer was involved in a gunfight. And I read somewhere that one will be included in the new book. So I guess that high fantasy in a modern society is not that far away.