• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do people even read high fantasy anymore?

Steerpike

Felis amatus
My understanding:

High fantasy = Fantasy creatures are part of the norm. Magic is everywhere.
Low fantasy = Magic & monstrous creatures are a rarity
Urban fantasy = Magic & monsters in our modern world

It doesn't surprise me that the terms would be used differently in different circles.

I think that's exactly how the majority of fans of the genre use the terms. At least, those are the definitions I see used most often.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
BWFoster78 said:
Interesting. I'm still calling mine "epic" fantasy. Magic, if not the creatures, is somewhat abundant.

I believe that epic fantasy & high fantasy are interchangeable terms.

I believe that epic fantasy & high fantasy are interchangeable terms.

I never took it that way. "High" and "Low" are usually used to determine how much magic is in the world. "Epic" is usually used to describe the scope of the story. I.e., a story that changes the course of the world is "epic," while a guy trying to make it through the day without getting killed is "Sword & Sorcery." But you can have high magic Sword & Sorcery (i.e., Fafhrd and Gray Mouser) and low magic Sword & Sorcery (i.e., most Conan stories). And you have high magic Epic Fantasy (i.e., Tolkien, David Eddings) and low magic Epic Fantasy (GRRM).

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Christopher Wright said:
I never took it that way. "High" and "Low" are usually used to determine how much magic is in the world. "Epic" is usually used to describe the scope of the story. I.e., a story that changes the course of the world is "epic," while a guy trying to make it through the day without getting killed is "Sword & Sorcery." But you can have high magic Sword & Sorcery (i.e., Fafhrd and Gray Mouser) and low magic Sword & Sorcery (i.e., most Conan stories). And you have high magic Epic Fantasy (i.e., Tolkien, David Eddings) and low magic Epic Fantasy (GRRM).

I would agree with that.

Most people, I think, interchange the two. When I looked up "epic fantasy" it showed "high fantasy" as common results.

Hi,

As to what fantasy people read mostly I don't know. My sister tells me that urban fantasy (just to throw another name in the pot) is really hot these days. All I can tell you is that the traditional fantasy (elves, dwarves wizards) I published a year ago, is still outselling all my others.

Having read this thread though I'm thinking I have to change my WIP which is also a traditional fantasy. Now my main character is going to have to switch from being a lord to a crime solving romantic with a taste for explicit sexual conquests!

Cheers, Greg.