• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hola

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Just found the site today. Nice to see a writing site dedicated to Fantasy. I write fantasy, as well as science fiction and horror.

My favorite fantasy works include, but are not limited to:

Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast books
Glen Cook's Black Company series
Steven Erikson's Malazan books
Joe Abercrombie's First Law and Best Served Cold
JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit
Anything by Guy Gavriel Kay
C.S. Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy
GRR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Anything by Steven Brust

and plenty of works by assorted other authors such as:

Robert E. Howard
H.P. Lovecraft
Neil Gaiman
Gene Wolfe
Octavia Butler
Caitlin R. Kiernan
Fritz Leiber
Michael Moorcock
James Blaylock
Tim Powers
Angela Carter

and...well, I could go on but I will stop there.

Nice to find all of you!

Bienvenidos y estoy muy feliz por tu llegada. Los foros son fantásticos y la gente aquí son muy amable y generosa. Te lo va a encantar mucho aquí.

Sorry, had to do it ;). Most of that is probably wrong anyway, as I'm a couple years out of spanish. Anyways, welcome to the forum and I hope you love it here. I like your taste in fantasy and look forward to you posting more.

TWErvin2

Auror
Hello, Steerpike. I think we've crossed paths elsewhere.

Of course I'm a Brust and Zelazny fan and enjoy Moorcock.

One thing by Tim Powers I really enjoyed was The Drawing of the Dark. Read it a long time ago and the novel always stuck with me as a really good read.

Glad you joined here.

Terry

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Elder the Dwarf: That was a much better job of Spanish than I could manage. From what I could tell it was fine, but despite my subject line I am not very skilled at the Spanish language. I can read it OK, but it is a slow and arduous process :)

Nice to see you, TW. Yes, Brust is one of my favorites. I've read the Drawing of the Dark as well - good stuff. I thought the first two fantasy novels by Tim Power's friend James P. Blaylock were also great fun. Those were The Elfin Ship and The Disappearing Dwarf.

Ouroboros: Nice to meet you. Most people do not recognize the reference!

TWErvin2

Auror
Steerpike,

Can't say that I've read anyhthing by James P. Blaylock. Just so many strong authors out there.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Steerpike,

Can't say that I've read anyhthing by James P. Blaylock. Just so many strong authors out there.

True. Blaylock wrote his fantasy works in the 80s, mostly. I picked one up after favorable comments from the likes of Philip K. Dick and William Gibson. He moved from that to writing a lot of ghost/supernatural stories set in modern times.

If you ever see The Elfin Ship and The Disappearing Dwarf anywhere, they're well worth picking up. Nicely written, with an undercurrent of humor throughout. The protagonist is a cheesemaker, with a dog named Ahab. I found them to be quite pleasant. His other works are good, but I like those two the best.

TWErvin2

Auror
True. Blaylock wrote his fantasy works in the 80s, mostly. I picked one up after favorable comments from the likes of Philip K. Dick and William Gibson. He moved from that to writing a lot of ghost/supernatural stories set in modern times.

If you ever see The Elfin Ship and The Disappearing Dwarf anywhere, they're well worth picking up. Nicely written, with an undercurrent of humor throughout. The protagonist is a cheesemaker, with a dog named Ahab. I found them to be quite pleasant. His other works are good, but I like those two the best.

I occasion a used bookstore that carries titles from way back in the 1980s (I picked up an old Elizabeth Boyer book the other week). I'll scan the shelves for Blaylock.

Why do I know that screen name???

A belated welcome to you dear.

So sorry I'm late with this... Looking forward to getting to know you!