• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How do traditional publishers market new books?

Mythopoet

Auror
I'm a bit miffed that significant quotations in my post, which I went to some effort to find, were edited out by a moderator.

I guess I'll just say, if you want to understand how the industry works, you should go to Kristine Kathryn Rusch's site and read all of her Publishing Business blog posts. All of them. She is one of the most experienced people on the writing side of the publishing industry, she understands business and she's not afraid to tell it like it is. It's the best free education on the industry you can get.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I'm a bit miffed that significant quotations in my post, which I went to some effort to find, were edited out by a moderator.

I'm not aware of who edited it, but we have a flat policy against extensive quotations because it can be seen as "duplicating" content from elsewhere on the web by search engines. It's unfortunate, but enforcing the policies is the role that we play.

If it helps, I saw the quotes and appreciated how much they made the case that some authors can have their careers hurt by the big publishers. Having your editor leave in particular seems like a bad crack to fall into. Although I don't yet have a good impression of how common it is, based only anecdotes.

My impression has been, and mostly remains, that people go into traditional publishing with unrealistic expectations about what they will do for you with the marketing. But that it's a solid path to take if you go into it, like most things, with a clear understanding of what you're getting yourself into and an awareness of the potential pitfalls that may come.

My impression has been, and mostly remains, that people go into traditional publishing with unrealistic expectations about what they will do for you with the marketing. But that it's a solid path to take if you go into it, like most things, with a clear understanding of what you're getting yourself into and an awareness of the potential pitfalls that may come.

I would agree with this...but it's not about marketing, it's about all kinds of things...such as size of advance, royalty rates, what rights you can keep and what you'll have to give up. The list goes on and on. It is important for any author to educate themselves on the business and the practices of self, big-five, and small presses, so that they can make smart decisions and stay agile.

Claire

Scribe
It is important for any author to educate themselves on the business and the practices of self, big-five, and small presses, so that they can make smart decisions and stay agile.

Agreed! I'm on a quest to learn as much a I can so when my WIP is ready, I'll be able to make a well informed decision.

Mythopoet - thanks for the links and suggestions for further reading. I do have Kristine Kathryn Rusch's site bookmarked and have been going through her posts. Lots of great information! And I heard about Passive Voice a while ago as well, so I've been reading it regularly.

Thanks again to everyone! It is so helpful to gain insight from those who have been there.

And MichaelSullivan - sorry if it is inappropriate to go all fan girl on you, but my husband and I are both big fans! He thought it was pretty amazing that you were answering my post :). Thanks!

And MichaelSullivan - sorry if it is inappropriate to go all fan girl on you, but my husband and I are both big fans! He thought it was pretty amazing that you were answering my post :). Thanks!

Hey, glad you have enjoyed the books - please tell your husband I said hello and thanks as well.