• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How do you prefer your magic?

A

Astner

Is it something integrated with the natural world; where the melding of fire and iron in the hot furnace to create steel is considered a magical procedure to mages? Or is it something completely external to the natural world, which qualified mages ever have the privilege to witness directly?

How do you prefer to present it, and how do you prefer to experience it?

SeverinR

Vala
sunnyside up?
I try to make it balanced, not world shattering, but not worthless.
It might affect the outcome of a small battle, but on a large scale it becomes less important.
Magic that is more powerful must have a reason it hasn't conquered the world and enslaved all those who don't possess the power, already. Or in the lust for power, all the mages have been killed off in the conflict.

in my world:
Magic is a mental or Spiritual energy based, which limits the person to how much energy the person can bring to bear. Magical creations have more energy then normal beings. So a unicorn would have more energy to use then most humans. Elves would have more then humans, but this is probably based on their study of magic more then humans, rather then being a magic creation. Demons and devils would have great energy but there would be also equal beings as their enemies-balance.
All people have the energy, but only a few can manipulate it, and even rarer is the manipulator that can draw on the others energy.

mbartelsm

Troubadour
I like to integrate magic to my worlds' nature, it is often just another natural force. With my current project, magic is as intrinsic to the world as gravity, there are 50 elements instead of the 118 of the real world, these are made from the seven natural elements of nature (each element of nature has 7 sub elements plus the element of life). This combined with natural magic fluxes allow me to explain to explain some of the weirdest landscapes you could imagine.

This isn't about ambiguity of gods or spirits, but rather: What is magic, and how is it integrated with your world? The topics are different entirely.

Did you catch the second question?

Similarly, is your magic (if it exists) more flashy or subtle?

But apparently there is no issue from any moderators with this thread. We've also rehashed the cliched fantasy tropes a few times in the last few weeks also, with apparently new content still being generated.

A

Astner

Did you catch the second question?

But apparently there is no issue from any moderators with this thread. We've also rehashed the cliched fantasy tropes a few times in the last few weeks also, with apparently new content still being generated.
This isn't about flashy or subtle magic either, but rather how magic is integrated into your world.

Chilari

Staff
This thread is, in my view, sufficiently different from the other one to keep it separate.

And in answer to the question, I tend to keep magic out of it, treat it identically to the real world: people believe in it and try to use magic to influence the world, but what they're doing is either psychological (curses and offerings etc) or chemical (potions and poisons).