• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How to write a later connecting novel

After I finish all of the "Gods of War" series, I plan to carry it over into another series.

In this story, a boy who is a Spirit Knight (a reincarnated, yet dormant god in a human body) meets Arylos Kesocascay, the Shadow Alchemist and the Kaiyumian gods of war, magic, and alchemy and is the police power against the gods, and Arylos's wife (spoiler!) Iris Kesocascay, the (spoiler!) goddess of light and war and ruler of the Realm of Helion. Arylos's purpose is to restore the boy to his rightful throne amongst the gods. On their journey, the boy finds that he succeeds a god and can take his place, but that god also has another successor who seeks the throne for ultimate power and hopes to rise as the Avatar, replacing Aryas.

I don't want this to seem too much like Michael Scott's "The Alchemyst" so can I get any ideas from any of you?

This is a skeleton of the novel. It's still in the works. I need more bones and then the flesh. Do any of you have any ideas that I could try or anything that could match?

Also, do any of you have any aliases for Arylos and Iris? I'll take anything following this criteria;
Must sound similar to their first and last names, but not noticeable.
Inconspicuous and normal sounding.

To help out, Iris's name can be pronounced three ways; "ay-ree-s", "ee-ray-s", and "ee-ree-s".

Also, I need aliases for the following characters;
Aryas Kesocascay.
Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel.
Le Comte de Saint-Germain.
Rene Descartes.
Peter the Great.
Grigori Rasputin.
And Alexander the Great.

Thanks for any help that you can provide!

Scribe Lord

Minstrel
Haven't read Michael Scott's "The Alchemyst" so can't really help you there.
But for the aliases, what exactly is your 'normal sounding'? And what about interchanging similar words, like Flamel for Brandel (flame and brand) or Great for Magnus (Latin)
Regardless, I didn't spend much time on this but thought I'd give a go at them. Hope it helps:
1. Iris Kesocascay => Ayris Kesoca
2. Arylos => Harlos Kasaca
3. Aryas Kesocascay => Arysar Kayasa
4. Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel => Kiloas and Penerella Brandel
5. Le Comte de Saint-Germain => Cote Sageran
6. Rene Descartes => Ran Darces
7. Peter the Great => Petyr Magros
8. Grigori Rasputin => Grori Spaturi
9. Alexander the Great => Magrus Iskander

Jess A

Archmage
Are you after very mundane names?

For instance, Peter the Great could be Pete/Peter/Petyr Maxwell - Maxwell being based on 'Maximus - the greatest'. Petyr being what Scribe Lord suggested. Alexander could be Alex or Xander Maxwell. If mundane is what you're after! There are other variations from different languages. Maksímov (Russian) for instance. As a surname.

Last edited:
Haven't read Michael Scott's "The Alchemyst" so can't really help you there.
But for the aliases, what exactly is your 'normal sounding'? And what about interchanging similar words, like Flamel for Brandel (flame and brand) or Great for Magnus (Latin)
Regardless, I didn't spend much time on this but thought I'd give a go at them. Hope it helps:
1. Iris Kesocascay => Ayris Kesoca
2. Arylos => Harlos Kasaca
3. Aryas Kesocascay => Arysar Kayasa
4. Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel => Kiloas and Penerella Brandel
5. Le Comte de Saint-Germain => Cote Sageran
6. Rene Descartes => Ran Darces
7. Peter the Great => Petyr Magros
8. Grigori Rasputin => Grori Spaturi
9. Alexander the Great => Magrus Iskander

Thanks, it helps me a little bit, but I'm looking for English-sounding names. This series happens in modern times in the US (versus 5,000 years ago in Kaiyumi.)

These do help me. I am trying to find the real Latin names for Arylos and Aryas, but it's hard to decline these names properly (especially since Aryas in Latin could be considered feminine when Aryas is male.)

Thanks for your help.

Are you after very mundane names?

For instance, Peter the Great could be Pete/Peter/Petyr Maxwell - Maxwell being based on 'Maximus - the greatest'. Petyr being what Scribe Lord suggested. Alexander could be Alex or Xander Maxwell. If mundane is what you're after! There are other variations from different languages. Maksímov (Russian) for instance. As a surname.

Thanks.

I was wondering if the names Maxwell or Maren would match. They were my original thoughts, but I needed some advice.

The main problem I have is Aryas and Arylos, along with their last names. Their names are Kaiyumian and I can't find any good English-like equivalent.

Jess A

Archmage
Thanks.

I was wondering if the names Maxwell or Maren would match. They were my original thoughts, but I needed some advice.

The main problem I have is Aryas and Arylos, along with their last names. Their names are Kaiyumian and I can't find any good English-like equivalent.

Those are kind of tough. Arylos reminds me of 'Carlos', a little. Aaron is another.

Kesocascay could be Casey or Kasey. So you could have Aaron Casey or Aaron Kasey.

For a woman you could have Aisha or Alaina or Alayla. I found those on a baby name site - Alayla is 'war goddess' but I'd verify that from more than just one website. If you click the page below and scroll to the bottom, that's where I found Alayla. There are numerous others on this site. It's not very 'mundane', though.

Baby Girl Names

You could even simply go for Anna. Anna Casey, Anna Kasey.

Other names found on the site:

Ara - eagle maid
Arla
Aria - melody

etc...

Other surnames: Kelsey, Kesley.

Try rifling through a baby name book.

Those are kind of tough. Arylos reminds me of 'Carlos', a little. Aaron is another.

Kesocascay could be Casey or Kasey. So you could have Aaron Casey or Aaron Kasey.

For a woman you could have Aisha or Alaina or Alayla. I found those on a baby name site - Alayla is 'war goddess' but I'd verify that from more than just one website. If you click the page below and scroll to the bottom, that's where I found Alayla. There are numerous others on this site. It's not very 'mundane', though.

Baby Girl Names

You could even simply go for Anna. Anna Casey, Anna Kasey.

Other names found on the site:

Ara - eagle maid
Arla
Aria - melody

etc...

Other surnames: Kelsey, Kesley.

Try rifling through a baby name book.

OK, thanks.

One more thing; Rene Descartes is a character I want to give a very nice French mix with English name. What do you think would sound good for him?

His name is pronounced re-NAY DAY-car.

Jess A

Archmage
OK, thanks.

One more thing; Rene Descartes is a character I want to give a very nice French mix with English name. What do you think would sound good for him?

His name is pronounced re-NAY DAY-car.

You're welcome.

Hehe yeah I know who he is. I think what you need to do is find a list of French/English names and go through there - plus look at the history and meaning of names - do not rely on one source. I know there are numerous meanings for most names and it depends on the version of the name. I'm a bit less helpful with this one I'm afraid.

French Boys Names? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

Behind the Name: French Surnames

Rémi? Raoul? Rafe? Renaud? More English-sounding but also used in France could be names like Richard, Robert and Rodger - maybe Roland (not sure if that's mostly French).

You may want to consider this thread, which deals with naming dilemmas and so far has proven popular on here: http://mythicscribes.com/forums/world-building/7850-name-thread.html

You could make a play on Descartes' birthplace or something else related to him as well.