• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I need a word

Zephyr

Scribe
Sounds like you're trying to describe a kind of missionary? They were supposedly there to "enlighten" the world by purging the old heresy and bringing Christianity to uncivilised lands. Seems a similar concept.

Hi,

I was thinking paladin myself, until you said he's all mage. I've always had this image in my head of the white knight, shiny armour, sword and shield etc as being a paladin. I can live with a paladin without magic, but not one without armour etc. I'm not sure that to break that far away from the stereotype is wise.

However, though they are also armoured warriors traditionally a crusader might fit your bill. Or a champion.

Cheers, Greg.

ArenRax

Sage
Hey I deigned the use of elemental paladins in my story. plus magical energy sort of specific paladin.
Inquisitor, cool name although I have no idea what they actually did and i have never heard the term of Animagus ever before.
You could always try the name of Titan or Archon and then try throwing in some sort of magic word like magus in there.

Trick

Auror
Sounds like you're trying to describe a kind of missionary? They were supposedly there to "enlighten" the world by purging the old heresy and bringing Christianity to uncivilised lands. Seems a similar concept.

I think you have the wrong definition of heresy. Heresy, when used religiously (its primary usage), exists within one faith or belief system where there is a doctrinal disagreement. So, if missionaries are out to convert people to their faith from another, I think you're looking for 'idolatry.'

Paladin is not a bad choice. Personally i'd flavor it somehow to separate from non-magic connotation.

Shreddies

Troubadour
How about:

Praetor. A magistrate in charge of civil justice, and stuff.
Inspector. A more understated title that could still strike fear in the hearts of his enemies.
Auditor. Another understated title that could work quite well.
Prosecutor?
Hound (of so-and-so)?