• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is it possible to become a writer without having the best English education?

Xanados

Maester
The writing sections, believe it or not, didn't really suit this topic, so I'll just put this here.

There is a question on my mind that I have yet to ask. I should have asked it when I began writing, but I guess I just repressed it. I, like a lot of you, started writing when I was very young. It was only half a year ago I decided that I would change my "path" and become a writer.

Throughout high-school I showed only a modicum of effort as I am not an academic person by nature, and I was only good at one subject: Computing. I don't mean that I rebelled or was generally unintelligent; I mean I was uninterested in most of my studies. English class in my school focused greatly on the study of other works of literature and often neglected grammar and punctuation. The class was, quite frankly, polluted with plebian stereotypes. I left gladly uneffected.

I don't have a direct question for you because I can answer it myself. My question would be, "can one be a writer if they haven't been taught the more difficult aspects of grammar?", but I already think one could. I know that there is a plethora of information available online, and I know that the amount to which we understand grammar varies greatly in this community. I was never taught things such as the "subordinate clause", "subjunctive" and "infinitive” when I was younger. Where you?

I find myself thinking shameful thoughts that I am a native English speaker and I do not know these rules. I am only 18 years old, but is that really any justification? I think that I have a decent amount of knowledge already, but what I want is to become a scholar in the art, someone who knows the language inside out. Or is that not necessary?

Is it possible to become a writer without having the best English education?

Edit: apparently there are a few questions on my mind, not just one ;)
Edit: another late night post that is barley coherrent. Excuse me.

Last edited:

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
Well I thought this myself. We have a LOT in common. My schooling experience was quite the same, especially the bit about the English department teachings. It's a damn shame (pardon my French, 'tis rather infuriating).

That's why I decided to go to college in hopes to, not so much learn English, but to be pushed in the right direction. Try going to a college for creative writing; I know there's a few online colleges and stand-alone courses you can take if you want to gauge yourself. My honest opinion about my college experience so far (I'm only in my 2nd semester as a creative writing major) is that it is ultimately worth it. I've learned a ton outside of writing (which is great, considering that expanding your knowledge to greater bounds as a writer is never a bad thing) that I may apply to my writing and creative processes, but in writing and composition, even though I may have only learned a few new things, it all helps - especially now that I know how to properly use semi-colons and the distinction who-whom. Sure, you could have learned these things online, but I think that the college experience is far more valuable.

In answer to your question, though, I would say that it isn't necessary to become a writer without a great English education. We're all writers here, or at least I hope so. I am not expert on this by all means, nor do I claim my writing to be perfect in any way; I'm just trying to give you advice I wish I had when I embarked on my college journey; I'd still love to hear from a successful fantasy writer, for that's my dream career. I would say that it's definitely worth it if that is what you REALLY want to do with your life, like me, but you don't need to. I'd like to discuss this some more with you, for I do not want to say more without some sort of response so you don't end up reading a thousand lines of text.

Reaver

Staff
I have to agree with Codey, here, Xanados. I believe that excellent grammar skills are not a prerequisite for great storytellers. Have you ever read anything by Cormac McCarthy? There are no quaotations in the dialogue, hardly any punctuation marks and yet, in my opinion, he's a fantastic author. Don't sell yourself short just because you don't have the grammatical expertise of a English Lit professor. I've read your work here and I think it's very good.

So is yours, Codey, but I think I've already made that abundantly clear in other posts.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
TI was never taught things such as the "subordinate clause", "subjunctive" and "infinitive” when I was younger.

Last week I went to wikipedia to look up "conjunction" because I wasn't sure if there should be a comma before "so" when it's used as a conjunction, and whether "then" counted as a conjunction (yes to "so," I'm still not sure for "then"). I clicked on a link about misconceptions about English, and one of them had to do with splitting infinitives. I clicked a link on infinitives and spent twenty minutes looking the subject over. I still have no idea what an infinitive is.

Are you trying to be an author or a copywriter? I think the question speaks for itself.

Xanados

Maester
Thank you for the complement, Reaver. It was much appreciated.

Devor, I understand what you mean by your question, but I can't answer it with any brevity.

I feel like I need to become a literary scholar in order to do my "job" with the utmost efficiency. I understand that this is what a copywriter is for, but I've always felt that a writer should, well, be a writer . A painter doesn't have a helper who adds/subtracts parts of the original work in order to improve it, does he?

I know of a person that is considered to be a master of English. He knows Latin and can dissect many of its words and phrases. He's a big fan of etymology, too. He is not a writer, nor is he a professor. He went to university and is incredibly intelligent. This is the sole reason for my bringing this topic into discussion. I feel subpar. I call myself a hobbyist writer, but I don't fully understand the finer details of English grammar. Woe is me, etc.

This is actually a great discussion with many insightful replies, though. I hope this post furthers the discussion.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I feel like I need to become a literary scholar in order to do my "job" with the utmost efficiency. I understand that this is what a copywriter is for, but I've always felt that a writer should, well, be a writer . A painter doesn't have a helper who adds/subtracts parts of the original work in order to improve it, does he?

Actually, the great Renaissance painters had workshops full of people who did just that.

Grammar is just a tool, and while you need to know how to use it effectively, you don't need to know how the motor works, so to speak.

So I would say skip the jargon and just pay attention to how different sentences are constructed. That's all you really need.

Last edited:

myrddin173

Maester
I still have no idea what an infinitive is.

The "to _____" form of the word. In English it is used without people actually knwing what it is. Infinitives are "more" important in other languages such as French. For example Ecriver is an infinitive, it means "to write." They are also known as the "conjugated form of the word." (Conjugations, in case you don't know are the changes to a verb due to changes in number and person. Am, are, is are all forms of "to be"). Truth be told I learned more about English grammar by taking French than in my English class.

As for the question no you don't have to have a great English education to be a writer, it will likely help but it isn't necessary. I would suggest reading the book Sin and Syntax, I feel it gives the necessary information for writing without bogging you down with the boring stuff. I quite enjoyed it.

(Now for some lighthearted fun - No, otherwise people who write in other languages, like Cornelia Funke [German], would be screwed. It is necessary to know the grammar of the language you are using.:Laugh:

Thank you for the complement, Reaver. It was much appreciated.

Devor, I understand what you mean by your question, but I can't answer it with any brevity.

I know of a person that is considered to be a master of English. He knows Latin and can dissect many of its words and phrases. He's a big fan of etymology, too. He is not a writer, nor is he a professor. He went to university and is incredibly intelligent. This is the sole reason for my bringing this topic into discussion. I feel subpar. I call myself a hobbyist writer, but I don't fully understand the finer details of English grammar. Woe is me, etc.

This is actually a great discussion with many insightful replies, though. I hope this post furthers the discussion.

OK I'm just going to throw this out there you can take it or leave it as you like.

If you can spell you can write. If you know how to structure a story you can write well.
If you knew every grammar rule, and the exceptions to those rules... well love, you would never need to hire an editor.
No one writes anything 100% correct the first time around, and 99.9% of writers hire Editors, to... you guessed it edit!

Life is aweful short Xan, I highly suggest you not sweat the small stuff. Many of the Greats in the world Edison for example had helpers, Andy Warhol had several assistants who helpd him fine tune his masterpieces. Nothing is done alone... Unless of course, you're making ice cubes... pretty sure that is a solo job. :smoke:

Just think of it this way at least your mistakes are not glaring errors that will embarass your entire country.

In the news today were pics of a road crew correcting a miss spelled word that was permanetly part of the pavement. "school" they had it as Scool or something like that. :stomp: The irony was that this was a "scholl" crossing reminder in front of a school!!!! :eek2: The fix cost NYC a ton of money took a year to get done and several man hours. It was highly embarassing to say the least.

I think if you can avoid that you will be fine :Wink:

In the Grand scheme of things I don't think a missing period is going to bring the world to a crashing halt, unless the period in question is not of the literary sort. But, then you will have other things to worry with. wink wink.

Last edited:

Kelise

Maester
One of the bigger names in writing in Australia is Jackie French. Who used to be so dyslexic she would have to read her story aloud to her editor, who would then fix her work for her.

Regardless, she has exactly 100 books published - in 30 years. She's won 29 awards and been shortlisted for a whole lot more. So if she isn't (extreme) proof, I don't know what is :)

Sure, it may make it harder for some to be noticed. If a publishing house gets two awesome pieces of work that have kind-of the same story, but one has awesome grammar and the other needs a bit of work... then they'll take the one that has awesome grammar.

But it probably won't keep them out completely.

Last edited:

Reaver

Staff
Whenever I feel bummed about my skills as a writer when compared to those who have a superlative grasp on the art, I think about some of the hand-painted road signs I've seen throughout my travels of rural USA. Some examples: "Hey 4 Sail--Cheep!"
and "We ownlee speek anglish hear!" :wink: (By the way, I'm not making these up.)

Thinking about these cheer me up pretty quickly. Hope they do the same for you.

Amanita

Maester
A difficult question. There seem to be great differences between German and American schools. Here you can't pass through higher education without doing this kind of stuff and writing tests on it. In a language with so many different verb forms and cases for the nouns knowing a few rules is helpful indeed.
I've learned all the things you're talking about at school, in German class as well as in Latin class and later in French. Not so much in English class, maybe it really doesn't matter that much there.
By the way, my father is a German teacher and wanted to make sure that I did well there too, of course. ;)

I'm not sure how important this is for writing however. If you're writing in a language you know well, you're probably not thinking about the exact term for the grammatical figure you're going to use next all the time. Doing it right becomes almost intuitive if you've been reading enough.
If you're considering to create an invented language or make language matter in your story though, you should definitly spent a bit of time learning about this kind of thing. I don't think this would be that much of an effort and I believe that it can be done through books on grammer alone relatively easily.

Last edited:
Whenever I feel bummed about my skills as a writer when compared to those who have a superlative grasp on the art, I think about some of the hand-painted road signs I've seen throughout my travels of rural USA. Some examples: "Hey 4 Sail--Cheep!"
and "We ownlee speek anglish hear!" :wink: (By the way, I'm not making these up.)

I thought this might cheer some people up. Enjoy. https://www.google.com/search?q=fun...w.,cf.osb&fp=d38cc5e3e5e0aea&biw=1280&bih=717

Or just for giggles check these out! Funny Signs from Around the World - Ellen Degeneres Photo Gallery

Xanados

Maester

I'm not particularly "bummed" about it. No, I'm just genuinely interested in the response. As foolish as this does sound, I don't think I am particularly bad at writing, so I'm not down on "my skills as a writer."

"We ownlee speek anglish hear!"

Was "anglish" wrote with a capital "A"? ;)

Reaver

Staff
I'm not particularly "bummed" about it. No, I'm just genuinely interested in the response. As foolish as this does sound, I don't think I am particularly bad at writing, so I'm not down on "my skills as a writer."

"We ownlee speek anglish hear!"

Was "anglish" wrote with a capital "A"? ;)

I'm glad you're not bummed, Xanados! It doesn't sound foolish at all, you ARE an excellent writer! And no, "anglish" wasn't capitalized. I just thought of another instance that really bugs me. The Sci-Fi channel's change of spelling to SyFy--WTF? I mean, really?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
The Sci-Fi channel's change of spelling to SyFy--WTF? I mean, really?

The official answer is that they wanted a name they could trademark. The unofficial answer is that they wanted to expand their lineup beyond traditional science-fiction.

Last edited:

Reaver

Staff
@ myrddin & Devor- Thanks for clearing that up....

Capitalism strikes again. I still refuse to refer to it in e-mails and such as SyFy. I have to admit that apart from the "original Sci-Fi movies", I'm still a fan of the network. What really bothers me is the History Channels "Monster Quest", "Ancient Aliens" and pretty much everything else that doesn't have anything to do with history. Perhaps I'll start a new thread about this grievance of mine. But back on topic--SyFy seems to me like some dummy spelling science "syince" or some other stupid way.

Last edited:

Xanados

Maester
And I think that's the signal for the closing of this thread. Just kidding. Great discussion so far. I'd really appreciate if anyone could tell me of their experience of English at school. Did you learn the more complex aspects of English grammar, or are you in a similar situation as me? Have you done most of your learning online?

Edit: I just want to clarify that I am a native English speaker. I just get the feeling that my posts might sound as if that is not the case.