• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is it possible to write without violence?

SeverinR

Vala
On another forum,
A poster offers help to new writers without cost.

She refuses to help with any art form with violence. Not heroic violence, not good over bad violence,
just no violence. I believe she is not a fantasy writer.

Can a story in fantasy, geared for adults be written without violence?

Wouldn't that be a romance novel? Or other variations of chick flick movies?

I have written a SS about a baby dragon and it had no viokence, but it was reviewed and 90% of people said it should be a childrens story.

Can fantasy genre be written without any violence?

I do intend to find a violent free chapter in some book I have written to send to her, but it will be a challenge.

Kelise

Maester
In fantasy? Not in any book I've read, no. Honestly can't think of a single book that lacks it. Nature has violence. Everything does. Uhm. Hrm. That's another interesting one...

SeverinR

Vala
Thats what I was thinking.

The only way to be violence free for long is to ignore the violence going on around.

Our characters don't have armor, swords, and learn offensive magic because it's shiek.

I kind of wonder if she didn't burn out writing about violence so she retired and is trying to see only the good.

Free help she can put any limits on it that she wants. She usually has a good pov when responding to writing issues and seems to have some experience with publishing. So I don't doubt she can provide good advice.

That is a very large limit.

SeverinR said:
On another forum,
A poster offers help to new writers without cost.

She refuses to help with any art form with violence. Not heroic violence, not good over bad violence,
just no violence. I believe she is not a fantasy writer.

I have written a SS about a baby dragon and it had no viokence, but it was reviewed and 90% of people said it should be a childrens story.

I do intend to find a violent free chapter in some book I have written to send to her, but it will be a challenge.

Sounds like mammamaia and I have had dealings with her before. She couldn't even form sentences that met the rules for a sentence when she tried to "help" me as well.

I have read a few fantasy books without violence but there were other, even more harrowing hardships. There has to be conflict and jeopardy. Violence even without death is a good method for adding this conflict.

Personally I do have some violence but most of my conflicts are emotional, which can be even more hurtful than a blade.

SeverinR

Vala
Yatzee! or is it bingo?

I have only read her posts on subjects so I don't know how she writes, speaks or if she even if published. She sounds convincing in what she says about writing/getting published.(on the forums).
I will admit, most of what she wrote on the forums I found online, so maybe she reads alot too.
Like I said, she is no help to me as every story I have (except for the childrens story) has violence in it.

I do question how someone can read cross all genre and be helpful.( other then grammar and sentence structure.) Teen romance is alot different then Sci-fi fantasy.

Emotional conflicts take alot more to write then I can manage(at least very often) but that would seem to fall into my OP being romance or other chick flick style books.
But I can even see physical violence in emotional problems too.

Thought so.

I think she is locally published but newspaper articles on a small island. Better than me but totally different markets. I have a strong suspicion that she actually writes pulp romance novels. No matter the case I wouldn't trust her abilities for content or grammar checking.

PM me and I will look over whatever. Same deal but no false promises of competence. I would ask for reciprocity too.

Maia is a good person! I use her too. she refuses to edit violence for her own reasons.
Is it possiable to write with out it yes. is it practical not really. When I send something to her I edit out any thing that makes her cringe. and just insert ( edited for content) so she knows that something went there that she won't read.

I don't know how she was with others but she was abusive to me because my stories included relationships that I am familiar with, polyamory and LGBTQ issues.

I have no more to say about her.

I don't know how she was with others but she was abusive to me because my stories included relationships that I am familiar with, polyamory and LGBTQ issues.

I have no more to say about her.

I'm sorry you felt that way dear, I have noticed she can be a bit/lot blunt. But it works for me because I am that way too.

To each their own I guess what works for someone might not be the best for you.

I have a list of editors who are more than willing to help if you want it. :) just send me a pm

Amanita

Maester
I think this depends on your definition of "violence."
Can a fantasy story be written without graphic descriptions of battles, torture and rape? Yes, definitely.
Is it possible to write an interesting story without any kind of conflict which hurts or distresses one or more of the people involved? I don't think so.
For me, fantasy doesn't necessarily have to include war or actions we'd define as criminal to be interesting and I think it might actually be an interesting challenge to write something without anything like that, that's still interesting. At least to some readers, it probably wouldn't be able to capture everyone.
If someone doesn't want to read something containing violence, they have the right to say so, in my opinion. The same goes for unusual sexual relationships or any kind of graphic sex scene. This kind of thing is offensive and/or bothering to some people and I don't think this is a reason to be offended in turn. As long as the person in question voices his or her dislike in a polite manner at least which I don't know about in the case discussed.

In general, I'm not really happy with the belief, that the amount of blood and gore defines a book as "adult" and "mature". Something I like even less are "sanitzied" depictions of violence though, where killing the evil opponent seems fun and easy, while the nastier "side affects" are being clossed over.

Leuco

Troubadour

I think fantasy is anything that involves the fantastic or unworldly-- you know, like magic or fairies. So, from this perspective, it is very easy to write something within a fantasy setting without violence. But to me, the question then is: how much fun is that?

Anyway, if you need some feedback, just post something in the showcase-- preferably no more than a chapter at a time-- and I'll read it. I like violence. I think a lot of others do too. :) But if you need a proofreader/editor, you'll have to find a nicer fellow to help you out. Don't let this "mama" person get to you. Just move on to someone else.

Good luck!

Dreamer

Dreamer
I would think it would be a very difficult challenge to find a fantasy based story without any violence. I have never read any that I can think of that had absolutely no violence to it. Even some of my son's children books have a form of violence, even though
there is only a small degree of it. Without violence there would be no bad guy, hence no good guy either.

It's entirely possible to have a fantasy novel without any physical violence. Fantasy is just the furniture, as GRRM puts it; stories worth reading are about dramatic, human conflict. If you can write an NPV (No Physical Violence) novel worth reading that takes place in the present day (and they exist), you can write one that's fantasy as well.

But violence is a common part of the real world, and I don't really understand the motivation to want to avoid it completely, except maybe as an interesting constraint. But there's a reason almost all great stories involve physical violence: it's because art is a reflection of the real world, and the real world contains a lot of violence. (Less than it used to, statistically speaking, but still.)

I agree pretty much with Benjamin - genres are just things to hang ideas on, and at the heart of any good story is the human condition and the conflicts that come with it. So I would say that, yes, you can write fantasy without physical violence (not that I would be interested in it much, I must admit - I likes me a good fight scene, and they are jolly good fun to write!) just as you can write horror without blood, but at the same time, life - be it real or fantasy - isn't all unicorns and fairies, and shouldn't be treated as thus.

Whether we like it or not, humans are violent beings, and even if we're writing about elves and trolls and dragons, humans are reading it - and I know that, for me at least, a fantasy world without some violence would ring false, to the point where I couldn't imagine a good fantasy story without at least a measure of physical peril... or maybe I just like doing nasty things to my characters just a little bit *too* much.

I try to limit the violence in my writing - I'm a pacifist at heart due to having grown up with a violent and abusive father.

However I doubt you could write any kind of story without conflict of some kind - even romance!

My attitude is that if like me you dislike violence, then write violence into your story and write about the consequences of that violence. Much better to write about why its wrong to kill people, than to hide away in a dream world where you pretend it simply doesn't exist.

I've been published by the way - not as a fantasy author, but writing articles for a major art magazine - it doesn't make me an 'expert' on writing or publishing!

Deleth

Dreamer
Never heard of this woman, however my main project and the others that are in line behind it have violence in them. For Pete's sake my main project is about the events that lead to open war, and the overthrowing of an evil empire masquerading as good.

Guess what's in war? VIOLENCE!

That aside I see how it can be done, but seeing as how those kind of books do not appeal to me that is not a style I am likely to adopt (being a firm believer that to be a good writer you have to be interested in what you are writing).

Just my opinions.

i think it can be done theoretically, though not without much difficulty. one thing to remember is that it's not just violence, but also the fear of eminent violence that's exciting.

i think it can be done theoretically, though not without much difficulty. one thing to remember is that it's not just violence, but also the fear of eminent violence that's exciting.

Agreed - if there is no reason to fear for the main character's safety, then there is no tension in the story!

Emeria

Scribe
Stories that I write generally have mild violence, though I keep it to a minimum. Wrote a fantasy children's story (for a class assignment) once with conflict, but very little violence. The bit of "violence" that there was involved a spark of fire melting an ice crystal. In the piece I am working on now, the narrator is rather sensitive, so he tends to shy away from watching (and thus, describing) anything violent happening.