• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Is this idea too silly?

Personally, I don't think it matters what font you use as long as it isn't initially translated. When in doubt, you can make a note to the viewer/reader about it so no one gets caught up on it. It's not silly since overall, its importance is minimal. You can always just acknowledge it as the language of the gods on the off-hand for context and future occurrences.
Yeah, I have it in my AN (author's note) that wingdings is present when characters are speaking 'god' language, and that if the story were NOT a comedy, I would not be going near wingdings for the god language. I also say that whatever actually needs to be translated is translated shortly after anyway (such as character names, or plot relevant conversations between two god language speaking characters) usually within the same scene. Wingdings is just there to show that it's a comedy and that the 'god' language is something that the mortal characters are not meant to understand. If it was a much more serious story, I'd probably use something like Old Turkik or something.

I don't think it's silly if you are writing comedy.

Are you planning on using it literally as a font in your book? If so, be careful not to over do it and confuse the readers. Like writing in a dialect and actually spell things phonetically in the dialect instead of using real language. Or using a completely made up language. I mean, some authors have made it work, but I hate it, both in what I read and my own writing.
I don't know if I'll use wingdings specifically in the printed version of the book. But some form of crypto graph that is icons/symbols, wingdings right now is just for my own amusement.

I don't know if I have the energy to design a whole ass font or find one to use as the god language, if I could I'd try to find a graph/cypher that has a similar 'feel' to wingdings (in terms of randomness/silliness) but still actually looks like a proper alphabet.

BiggusBeardus

Minstrel
Yeah, I have it in my AN (author's note) that wingdings is present when characters are speaking 'god' language, and that if the story were NOT a comedy, I would not be going near wingdings for the god language. I also say that whatever actually needs to be translated is translated shortly after anyway (such as character names, or plot relevant conversations between two god language speaking characters) usually within the same scene. Wingdings is just there to show that it's a comedy and that the 'god' language is something that the mortal characters are not meant to understand. If it was a much more serious story, I'd probably use something like Old Turkik or something.

I don't know if I'll use wingdings specifically in the printed version of the book. But some form of crypto graph that is icons/symbols, wingdings right now is just for my own amusement.

I don't know if I have the energy to design a whole ass font or find one to use as the god language, if I could I'd try to find a graph/cypher that has a similar 'feel' to wingdings (in terms of randomness/silliness) but still actually looks like a proper alphabet.
Don't bother making up a whole new thing. Windings is hilarious. Go for it!