• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Just finished the Divergent trilogy

JadedSidhe

Minstrel
I just finished the Divergent trilogy. I'm not going to give any real details, I don't want to spoil anything.

First off, I don't like first person , very rarely am I able to loose myself in a story when that viewpoint is used. This series was not the rare exception. I read the books more out of a lack of something else to read rather than being riveted. This should by no means be taken that I didn't find the books decent reads.

The first book was quite good, good scenery and introduction of the society and world and the introduction of Tris and Four and the other main characters. We follow Tris through her trials, tribulations and the beginnings of her romance with Four.

The books are more character driven than story driven and that left me wanting something more.

The second book... the story line continues... but a large portion of the book focuses on Tris' grief, guilt, and self-destructive and almost suicidal tendencies before she works it out for herself.

The third book takes a different track, bringing in Four's POV. This book is about Four as it is for Tris. We learn some world history and both Tris and Four have to make peace with themselves and save their city.

I hated the ending, but strangely, I understood it and it felt right.

Did I love the series? No, but I did like it. Would I read it again? Maybe in a few years, see if I pick up more details the second time around.

Would I recommend the series? Yes, if you like that sort of storytelling and storyline.

SeverinR

Vala
Did you see the movie?
If so how did it compare?

[Might have a moderator move this to "Novels and Stories"]

Until this post I didn't realize she is tri(s) (3) and he is four.

If you saw the movie there is a discussion in Film and television on "Divergent" also.

Last edited:

JadedSidhe

Minstrel
Huh... how did I miss the Novels & Stories topic? If a mod would move this to the appropriate location, I'd appreciate it.

I haven't seen the movie yet. I want to though, which is one of the reasons I bought the books even though they are *shudder* first person.

Tris is short for Beatrice, but I never would have made that 3-4 connection if you hadn't pointed it out.

Thanks for the heads up on the movie topic, I'll look into it after I see the movie.

hammert

Acolyte
I agree with you that the series is more character driven than story driven, and that the first person point of view can be limiting and distracting at times. I also agree that the ending was very unexpected and controversial, but it also made sense for Tris’ character arc and the message of the story.

I enjoyed reading the series, but I also had some issues with it. For example, I felt that some of the characters were underdeveloped or stereotypical, such as Peter, Caleb, or Evelyn. I also felt that some of the plot twists were too convenient or unrealistic, such as the revelation of the outside world, the genetic experiments, or the memory serum. I also wished that there was more world building and exploration of the different factions and their values.

However, I also liked some aspects of the series, such as the action scenes, the romance between Tris and Four, and the themes of identity, bravery, sacrifice, and loyalty. I think that the series has some important messages for young readers, such as challenging authority, questioning norms, and finding your own voice.

Overall, I think that the series is worth reading, but it is not perfect. It has its strengths and weaknesses, and it can appeal to different tastes and preferences. I think that it is a good example of dystopian fiction for young adults, but it is not the best one out there.