• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Largest calamity in fantasy fiction...?

Sheriff Woody

Troubadour
So, I watched the new Godzilla movie, and I was wondering if anyone knows of any good fantasy (or sci-fi) books that feature mass destruction along the lines of the aforementioned film. I'm in the mood for complete devastation in a make-believe landscape.

Book titles will suffice, but please note spoiler warnings before going into detail.

Thanks! :)

TWErvin2

Auror
Off the top of my head I cannot think of any fantasy titles.

However, with military SF, the Posleen War Series, (A Hymn Before Battle, Gust Front, When the Devil Dances, and Hell's Faire).

A near-term SF (which is very plausible) would be One Second After.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Mass Effect 3 has you make decisions that can have some rather dire consequences for a very large number of individuals (ok, it's a game, but still).

Code Geass (anime) has a situation where things go unexpectedly wrong in spectacularly unpleasant ways.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
As for movies, there's always Star Wars and Star Trek. Lots of 'splodey death and destruction there.

Pythagoras

Troubadour
Also, you could look to mythology for this kind of thing. Granted, it's not technically fantasy, but how many fantasy writers are there that don't have some kind of background in mythology?
Ragnarok in Norse mythology is literally the end of the world.
The cataclysmic flood is common to many world myths.
From a certain perspective, the sack of Troy could be seen in this light.
I'm blanking on other examples, but I'm sure everyone here would agree that world mythologies are a gold mine of disasters, as well as many other larger-than-life themes.

kayd_mon

Sage
In a way, Mistborn has the most destruction of anything I can think of.

The First Law trilogy features wanton destruction of both people and buildings.

What about Incredible Hulk comics? Few things are more fun than Hulk Smash!

Man of Steel had almost as much city destruction as Godzilla.

monyo

Scribe
By the end of Fire Upon the Deep a good portion of the galaxy has been destroyed, though the destruction is only described up close a couple of times throughout, iirc.

Last edited:

Sheriff Woody

Troubadour
By the end of Fire Upon the Deep a good portion of the galaxy has been destroyed, though the destruction is only described up close a couple of times throughout, iirc.

Nice. I have that one sitting on my shelf behind me, just waiting to be read. ;)

Thank you for all the suggestions! Please keep them coming. One can never have too much wanton pandemonium. :cool: