• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Learning to write together and writing styles.

What are your writing styles?
How can we learn to write together and share writing styles?

I was thinking this thread would be a good first place to start.
Anyone with writing themes or ideas post them here.

Anyone who wants to combine ideas and styles post your methods here.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
You know...I've been writing for more than 20 years. I've spent a lot of effort cultivating my style, and I work on it quite a bit. I don't think I could just make a post and give all that practice to another.

Reading the article above. It read to me like something my college professor might have used. Full of too much book smarts and not enough wisdom. (and I always appreciate good articles).

You will have to forgive me, as I dont have sound on my PC at work, this may not be the video I think it is. But...In the times when I watch the authortube, I think this guy summed up my observation the best.

I think of the four described, I am in the number 3 category. I think most people write in what I call Competent Librarian Voice. Its a good voice that matches all the rules, but leaves out a lot of flare.

In my own writers voice, I have a number of 'tricks' that I repeat. When I read my own stuff, I hear a cadence in my head, and a low rumbling sound to how I would want it read. I use things that are like tricks, alliteration, repeating structure, archaic tones. I use what I call the rule of three, which is when describing, hit it with three details.

But what does any of this matter? It will not be your style, and no reader will read it with my rumbly voice in their head.

You need to make your own voice and practice, practice, practice. No amount of me telling you my tricks will help you until you first get it going on your own.

The only way to pick up the skill and become good with it, is to do it. And if you are doing it, and feel you have the basic tool down, then I recommend going to a review site and reviewing the crap out of others. You will learn more reviewing bad writing, than you will reading good writing. I don't think there are any other short cuts.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Super Fantasy what do you think is a writing style? Do you understand style to be something different from author voice? Do you think you have a style right now, in what you have already written?

Super Fantasy what do you think is a writing style? Do you understand style to be something different from author voice? Do you think you have a style right now, in what you have already written?
Depends on what someone is writing about, the grand schema.
Perhaps the writing style effects the grand schema.
Or perhaps only effects sections of the novel/short story.
Multiple writing styles can be combined.

I like to write in ways where multiple ideas seem to be woven together, and unwind as the reader reads them.
I feel that this method introduces a philosophical feel to the poem, short story or novel.

Or perhaps writing of a single concept with other subliminal concepts mixed in.