• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Looking for authors aspiring for traditional publication!

Hi! I'm a fantasy author looking to become traditionally published (ie, seeking agents for representation > finding an editor at a publishing house). I would like to find other writers with similar goals to form a writing group with. If that's you, let me know! I'm fine joining a group that already exists or creating one if there is enough interest.

Last edited:

ixris

Dreamer
Hi! I'm a fantasy author looking to become traditionally published (ie, seeking agents for representation > finding an editor at a publishing house). I would like to find other writers with similar goals to form a writing group with. If that's you, let me know! I'm fine joining a group that already exists or creating one if there is enough interest.
Hello! Big 4 has been a goal of mine for literal years, and I've been writing towards it. I know tradpub isn't the only valid form of storytelling, but it's what I personally have been chasing.

What do you generally write? Do you have a current project or pitch?

Hello! Big 4 has been a goal of mine for literal years, and I've been writing towards it. I know tradpub isn't the only valid form of storytelling, but it's what I personally have been chasing.

What do you generally write? Do you have a current project or pitch?
Awesome! Sounds like our goals are pretty similar.

I primarily write fantasy more on the epic side. I'm currently querying a novel about the pantheon on Titan and its god of love when humans are on their way to colonize the planet. I'm also outlining a gay romantasy.

What about you?

I primarily write fantasy more on the epic side. I'm currently querying a novel about the pantheon on Titan and its god of love when humans are on their way to colonize the planet. I'm also outlining a gay romantasy.

What about you?
Your story sounds amazing! Please drop the title and more info on your novel!

ixris

Dreamer

What about you?

Oooh gay romantasy - I'm always here for queer content. 🤩 Also love this twist on a traditional colonization story - intrigued!

I hang out closer to the horror side of things, so my current project is a queer dark fantasy centering on a disabled nonbinary exorcist who gets roped into marriage to a husband who's possessed by a ghost who wants to kill him, and they have to get the (eventually un-possessed) husband to fall in love with them in order to get him to pay their bride price before the country they came from decide to invade their new home for breach of contract. It's a big fun game (for me) of gender and gay, complete with ghosts and murder and eldritch tree spirits.

Whenever you get your 5 posts to open the critique forum, my current query draft is in there for more details, but also gosh those are hard to write because there's so much stuff happening in even the first 5% of the manuscript lol.

What kind of writing group format are you interested in?

Diana Silver

Troubadour
That sounds like a great and intersting focus for a writing group. I'd love be part of it. What is your goal with the group? To share pieces of writing for mutual review, or would it be more focused on experiences with publishers & the publishing process?

That sounds like a great and intersting focus for a writing group. I'd love be part of it. What is your goal with the group? To share pieces of writing for mutual review, or would it be more focused on experiences with publishers & the publishing process?
right now I'm more on the hunt for a group... if it comes to it, I can make one, but it's not what I'd prefer to do. It would be authors helping each other on our goal to be traditionally published, whatever that may be (if it comes to that)

Oooh gay romantasy - I'm always here for queer content. 🤩 Also love this twist on a traditional colonization story - intrigued!

I hang out closer to the horror side of things, so my current project is a queer dark fantasy centering on a disabled nonbinary exorcist who gets roped into marriage to a husband who's possessed by a ghost who wants to kill him, and they have to get the (eventually un-possessed) husband to fall in love with them in order to get him to pay their bride price before the country they came from decide to invade their new home for breach of contract. It's a big fun game (for me) of gender and gay, complete with ghosts and murder and eldritch tree spirits.

Whenever you get your 5 posts to open the critique forum, my current query draft is in there for more details, but also gosh those are hard to write because there's so much stuff happening in even the first 5% of the manuscript lol.

What kind of writing group format are you interested in?

Awesome! the story sounds interesting! And I'm more on the hunt for a group at the moment... but if necessary i would be interested in creating one.

ixris

Dreamer
Awesome! the story sounds interesting! And I'm more on the hunt for a group at the moment... but if necessary i would be interested in creating one.
The writing group I'm active in right now is on discord, and mostly we meet early mornings 3 days a week to just get some words written and spitball ideas at each other. We don't have a really strong genre focus, but I'd be happy to be part of a second group either on discord or other possible places to keep up with each others' accountability towards their goals and trade feedback on pieces.

Honestly the downside to my current group is that I'm the only one really comfortable reading and reviewing darker material, so my murder ghost hijinks (as light-heartedly as I refer to them outside of the text) are not for everyone, and finding folks to trade critique is one of my big motives right now. I'd love to find (or found) a second group that is a bit more willing to focus on feedback / criticism to get that edge honed.

Are you looking more for feedback or for support or....? And what format / frequency are you interested in?

If I were to create a group, I'd be interested in using our meeting time to share excerpts that we want eyes on (eg, chapter, query letter, etc.). The best writing groups that I've been a part of have us read our pieces out loud to each other and then critique right after that.