• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Looks like a cool place

TWErvin2

Auror
Hello All!

Came across this forum, looked around and decided to join.

A quick bit about myself. I write mainly fantasy and SF. I've had one novel published--Flank Hawk (via Gryphonwood Press) and a number of short stories in various magazines, anthologies and ezines. Most are SF/Fantasy, but some horror, mystery and inspirational in nature.

I've had a number of articles on writing published, mostly through Fiction Factor, but a few elsewhere.

I have a SF novel that has made it's way out of the slush pile at a pretty big publishing house, run the gauntlet of editors and is awaiting a decision by the managing editor...but it's been there a while. In the mean time I've been working on the sequel to Flank Hawk, which my current publisher is waiting on. Hopefully I will have it finished by the end of June or maybe July so it can be available before before the end of November 2011. Or that's the goal.

That's a bit about me. Looking forward to getting to know some of the folks around here.

Terry

Kelise

Maester
Wow, a published author! I found a preview of your novel and shall try it out :) How exciting!

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing you around.

TWErvin2

Auror
Wow, a published author! I found a preview of your novel and shall try it out :) How exciting!

Welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing you around.

Thanks, Starconstant.

Yes, I am a published author, but I'm certainly not big-time or anything. I hope you enjoy the preview of Flank Hawk.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Welcome Terry!

Perhaps at some point you could share with us about your experiences with publishing.

Where did the idea for your novel come from?

TWErvin2

Auror
Welcome Terry!

Perhaps at some point you could share with us about your experiences with publishing.

Where did the idea for your novel come from?

Black Dragon,
Thanks for the welcome!

Probably through posts and discussions here my experiences will be shared. Helping each other out--I see it as important.

As for the idea for Flank Hawk: The initial thought that sparked the novel’s writing occurred while I was driving home from work. I was thinking about a few of the books I’d recently reread: Roger Zelazny’s The Guns of Avalon and Harry Turtledove’s World War: In the Balance (actually I got to talk to him this weekend at ConCarolinas 2011 was a panelist again this year--and I discussed this point and he talked a bit about Roger Zelazny). Anyway, one of the main turning points in Guns of Avalon occurs when Prince Corwin discovers a way to get gunpowder to function in the magical city of Amber. In the Balance is about an alien invasion during the height of World War II. The disparity in technology between the invaders and humanity is a major element in the novel’s conflict.

Then I began to ponder, what would happen if a dragon encountered a World War II aircraft? Maybe one can see how the line of thought formed. From there I began to devise a world where such an encounter could take place. Then came the peoples and creatures that would inhabit the world, how it came to be, and the long-running, multilayered power struggle that would come to influence events in the plot that I was devising. Finally, came Krish and Lilly, Roos and Road Toad–the main characters in the novel.

Creating worlds and writing is fun stuff, although for me, I enjoy the editing and revision more than getting that first draft out.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Thanks for sharing about your writing process. The book sounds fascinating.

I'm with you regarding revision and editing. Banging out the first draft can be painful. Revising, on the other hand, is pure joy. :)

Welcome TWErvin! I just put Flank Hawk on my to-read list at Goodreads. One reviewer mentioned zombies in panzers--definitely worth checking out!

TWErvin2

Auror
Welcome TWErvin! I just put Flank Hawk on my to-read list at Goodreads. One reviewer mentioned zombies in panzers--definitely worth checking out!

Thanks, J. Rosemary Moss. My to-be-read list is kinda long :) If/when you get to Flank Hawk, let me know your thoughts. I'm always interested and keep in mind what readers have said/observed when writing.

I also have a "What Character Are You" quiz for Flank Hawk on my website. Most readers find it fun and interesting.

Finally, you indicated you were an avid blogger. Can you provide a link to your blog so I can check it out?

Terry