• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Lurker No More

I guess I broke my own rule that I don't have time for forums... but I spend so much time reading stuff here and elsewhere that I had to contribute!

Lessee... my name's Nick and I'm originally from GA.
I live in Idaho now with my beautiful daughter, an axolotl, and an abandoned cat.

I'm very vested in fantasy writing and have worked for years now as a freelance writer, editor and translator (mainly in non-fiction, however, though I have made the move to editing fiction in the last few years). I am a big fan of organizations such as the SFWA and EPIC and am excited to see where fantasy fiction is going in the next few years.

That's about all the detail I'll throw out there for the moment. But, I do love reading fantasy works and have a keen eye for quality prose.

You asked for my GMN story... so now I have to give it!

Picture it! Sicily, 1942... oh, wait, that was the Golden Girls.

Dragon*Con 1992. Gary Gygax was running Tomb of Horrors in the gaming room and I, a wee sprite of barely gaming age (okay, I'd been RP'ing since 1986), joined in. I hadn't played the classic adventure before and actually wasn't familiar with who Gygax was at the time. I was just a kid and easily the youngest player in the group. I kept chiming in with additional descriptions and laughing whenever Gygax would get the upper hand on the group.

Midway through the session, we stopped for a smoke break. I talked with Gary for the entire break about how much I loved roleplaying, but didn't think D&D had a very good setup. I pointed out that the other players always seemed to know what was going to happen (I didn't know the book was a module, or even what a module was at that point), and that he should toss things up more.

When we came back from break, he said "Why don't we just let 'GameMaster' Nick run things for a bit?" I thought it was a great idea and Gary Gygax (which, to this day, still astonishes me) took over my character as I took Tomb of Horrors completely off the rails. A great time was had by all (at least that's what they told me at the time). The nickname stuck.

A couple of years later, I was still playing World of Darkness over D&D when I learned who Gygax was... I've made that name my online handle ever since.