• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Magic system, i need sugestion

Ginzax

Right now i am writing a story and make a magic system, in my world mana is basicly everywhere, individuals don't have their own mana, instead they get mana for their magic by casting spell

In this world the technology is pretty advance and they use science to improve magic with making a device that can cast spell for the user and of course with limitation, it can only cast 1 spell at a time and can only get a certain amount of mana each cast, but there is some more advance device that can get you more mana for higher tier magics that need more mana requirement. So basicly this casting device will cast spell and collect mana for you to use for your magic

Some beginner use that device and method to use magic, but there is more ways. You can equip more of this casting device but it's hard to control all of them in the same time(which you need to get more mana and cast two different spell at the same time) it's like sharing you consciousness into two. It's not impossible and some talented magic user can do that, but it wasn't easy to do.

And the other way by manual casting, you use words to cast the spell(Trained magic user can cast spell without saying a word but casting a word usually more effective) but it also have a limitation, you can't just keep casting and keep getting mana, your body has a limit. When you cast a spell, mana go into your body and you have to control them and use them for your magic. But if you just keep casting spell there will be to much mana in your body which you not gonna be able to control and can make your body eksplode. But if you have used the magic for long time your body will slowly become more resistant againt mana and you can have more mana in your body than before

Diffrent with the casting device, the device will actually gather mana in the device it self and not your body, so there will not be a risk for your body to eksplode but of course if you don't use the mana that been gathered in that device but still casting, the device itself will eksplode(more advance device can hold more magic)

Also casting is required stamina, not your body but your mind. casting can make your brain tired which is another limitation, even using those casting device still can make your brain tired. But people with high dedication can cast more magic and hold longer

I already Made this magic system and made a lot of limitation so it was balanced, but there is one thing that I am confused, it was the manual casting, it use words to cast and gather mana but i don't know how the words will be and what kind of language can i use for the words, please help, and i also curious of how other think with my magic system

You could always make up your own language. The lazier option, (which is what I would pick, since I'm lazy) would be a "dead" language, like Sanskrit or Latin or Old Norse.

Mad Swede

Auror
I think I'd ask you why you want a specific type of language or set of words for your magic system? Here in the Nordic countries there were no specific words used in magic, it was the way you said things in a rhyme or song (or, sometimes, wrote things with runes) which opened your channel to the spirits so that you could request their support.

I think your magic system is OK, others here have done something similar - look in the Cost of Magic thread in the World Building forum for an example.

Ginzax

I think I'd ask you why you want a specific type of language or set of words for your magic system? Here in the Nordic countries there were no specific words used in magic, it was the way you said things in a rhyme or song (or, sometimes, wrote things with runes) which opened your channel to the spirits so that you could request their support.

I think your magic system is OK, others here have done something similar - look in the Cost of Magic thread in the World Building forum for an example.

Something like runes didn't fit me, i just didn't like it that much. So i go with more simple thing with using a specific set of word, and about the language i need it because i am having a hard time to choose what word should i use for my spell. I like having the casting fast, so my character can pop out their magic faster which is why i made the casting device in the first place

Your idea about having/developing stamina made me think about something I'd learned in Zen practice. In my time studying, I found that the longer one practiced meditations, the more resilient you became against outside distractions, quieting your mind etc. It sounded easy but I was amazed how difficult it was to do. Quieting the mind is a powerful tool!

Several of the chants in Zen proved to be a helpful part of being able to focus. One chant, related to a Bodhisattva known as Jizo, goes:

Om-Ka-Ka-Kabi-San-Ma-Ei-Soha-Ka

That's sort of mantra may be a little long for your purposes perhaps but bear with me.

Though I once knew the answer, it never mattered what the literal translation of those words was, the words themselves, the beats/rhythm to high they were chanted, were the focus, not the translation of the language or the meaning. Rhythm alone can be powerful in so many ways. And I don't think I've ever read a story where rhythm plays a part is accessing a magical ability.

So it's not necessary you take old, hard to pronounce ancient words. It could be a simple, shorter multi-syllable mantra, made up by you, that means nothing in any other language at all, but was discovered in your story world, as the key to cultivating that magical ability.

Best of luck!

Ginzax

Your idea about having/developing stamina made me think about something I'd learned in Zen practice. In my time studying, I found that the longer one practiced meditations, the more resilient you became against outside distractions, quieting your mind etc. It sounded easy but I was amazed how difficult it was to do. Quieting the mind is a powerful tool!

Several of the chants in Zen proved to be a helpful part of being able to focus. One chant, related to a Bodhisattva known as Jizo, goes:

Om-Ka-Ka-Kabi-San-Ma-Ei-Soha-Ka

That's sort of mantra may be a little long for your purposes perhaps but bear with me.

Though I once knew the answer, it never mattered what the literal translation of those words was, the words themselves, the beats/rhythm to high they were chanted, were the focus, not the translation of the language or the meaning. Rhythm alone can be powerful in so many ways. And I don't think I've ever read a story where rhythm plays a part is accessing a magical ability.

So it's not necessary you take old, hard to pronounce ancient words. It could be a simple, shorter multi-syllable mantra, made up by you, that means nothing in any other language at all, but was discovered in your story world, as the key to cultivating that magical ability.

Best of luck!

Thanks, even though the mantra actually didn't fit me, your story about Zen practice actually make me think and get a lot of idea to further develop my stamina mechanic