• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Male/Female Char. Writing style

FatCat

Maester
I've posted everything I've worked on so far in Showcase, however I don't really think I've done what I was trying to do, despite best intentions. I ended up with short, brisk chapters instead of wording for my male MC and overly-long, dull chapters for the female MC. Bah, I have half a mind to scrap the whole thing and work on something else.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Well its not what you're describing, because that's character personality like you're saying. It's more of how the events are being described. I'm probably not explaining this well because I don't have a firm grasp on the idea completely myself, I guess I'm just kind of musing. I'm thinking more of the style in which these things about the characters are written and read.

And yes, each chapter will be focused on only one of the main characters, not an omnipotent third person mixing their thoughts in the same chapter.

I think that example is a fine example of what I do. My male MC in one book sees things very different from my female MC, and I show it when they're the POV. Not that she's watching butterflies frolic in a field while he's watching her behind, but little things, like his eyes on the exits, something an innocent girl wouldn't be doing.

I think when switching POV, these sorts of perspective changes are critical to writing believable characters, and yes, I do it. Think about it, if you and my husband and I walked into a room and met a queen, and you asked us both what she was wearing, afterwards, I might answer, "She was dressed in a fashionable velvet gown, scarlet, bedecked with pearls." He would shrug and say, "I dunno, red, with ruffles."

Same thing for other stuff. If one character is a thief, they will take notice of the exits, scan for valuables, and move through a building differently than say, a minstrel, who might take more notice of who he can entertain for a free drink.

It's more about the personality of the characters and their natures, but gender definitely plays a part.

FatCat

Maester
The problem I believe I'm having is not how the characters are portrayed, i.e. what they notice throughout writing such as scenery and actions, but the fundamental prose that comprises the chapter. It's that extra edge I wanted to include, but I think I bit off more than I can chew, so to speak. Gender was a simplification on my part to explain the natural prose that went into each chapter, not the fact that the MC was male/female. I was speaking in more general terms of masculine prose verse feminine prose, which, upon reflection, shouldn't be worded in the way I originally described it as.

Jess A

Archmage
I've posted everything I've worked on so far in Showcase, however I don't really think I've done what I was trying to do, despite best intentions. I ended up with short, brisk chapters instead of wording for my male MC and overly-long, dull chapters for the female MC. Bah, I have half a mind to scrap the whole thing and work on something else.

Sounds good - I've been away and on and off for the past few weeks, so didn't think to check. I just want to read it out of interest, not for debate's sake. I think it's a very valid conversation and it has given me things to consider in my own book. I'll drop by and read them when I am more awake and not just passing through - skim reading doesn't always do things justice :p