• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Married to an IDEA?

Rullenzar

Troubadour
So what are your thoughts on this?

I'm fairly new to writing so I'd like to toss this question out and get some feedback.
Is being married to an idea a rookie mistake or do even experienced writers fall victim?
Is it more a good thing or bad thing?
I know it limits you to some degree but if you know what you want is it not a good thing?

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Having a direction can be a good thing if the alternative is to drift aimlessly. Overall, though, I've found that being married to one idea can hinder you from developing a better one.

That, however, is what the rough draft is for. Write your idea. If it works, use it, refine it, and make it better. If it doesn't, try something else.

SeverinR

Vala
Stick with it until it is finished, doesn't sound bad to me.
Keep polishing it, buffing it, perfect it, that is what "married to an idea" means to me.
Sounds just the way it should be.

When you get it to the best it will ever be, find the next idea.
You should also know when the honeymoon is over, and when to start seeing other ideas, and when to divorce or at least a trial separation.

Hi,

It depends on the idea. Some ideas are worthy of marriage, some aren't. As a writer you simply have to make a call, is this part of the book / work so worthy that it should dictate the entire rest of it? Or is it not that worthy and a little polygamy might be in order? Even an affair or two?

Cheers, Greg.

MadMadys

Troubadour
I wouldn't call it a marriage. I marriage means you take an idea for all its pros and cons then live with it. In writing, you should care about your idea but be able to take a step back, see problems, and then fix them. Some become so in love with what they've created they can't bring themselves to change any problems that exist because they think it's perfect the way it is.

Believe in your idea but also believe that it can be better.

saellys

Inkling
Marriage is all about commitment. Writing is all about commitment, too. Bringing an idea to fruition requires serious commitment, so the phrase seems apt to me. However, unlike in marriage, you can change your idea's faults, so don't be afraid to do that in the second draft.