• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Might as well show myself to the family.

Arhenvir

Acolyte
Hi everybody!

I'm going by Arhenvir, and it's the name of one of the oldest fantasy roleplaying characters I've ever created. I'm a 24-year-old female living in Japan, serving in the U.S. military. A little over a year ago I discovered this site when I needed motivation to write my novel (now at roughly 29,000 words), but since I keep coming back every so often, perhaps it's time to finally join up and take part in the discussions.

I have read so many threads and articles on this site, and I feel that if I'm too shy to share my own ideas, then it's going to be an even bigger struggle trying to get published someday. Besides, we all have so much in common it gets harder to resist registering.

Aside from writing, I enjoy learning foreign languages, dancing, karaoke, and international cuisine. And I have four ferrets back in the U.S.!

For the past two weeks I have been spending my free time in coffee shops, enjoying hot beverages and scribbling away in my notebooks, taking short breaks in between to read from any of the four fantasy novels in my bag right now. Things I have been thinking about a lot lately:

- starting a creative writing blog (just did this today!)
- worldbuilding
- changing my years-old character's name into something more mystical-sounding
- how I might learn to appeal to friends who have never read fantasy before

I have more free time than usual during the holiday season, but when things pick back up again next year I might not have as many opportunities to log in, and sometimes I can only get a very slow Internet connection that makes posting nearly impossible. But that doesn't mean I won't drop by and read your stuff (yes, YOURS!) whenever I get the chance.

Here's to us writers who suffer, revise, and get stuck but wouldn't have it any other way! See you around! :D

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Welcome to the site, Arhenvir. Feel free to dive right in to any of the forums. I had a ferret years ago - they are fun animals to have around!

What are the four fantasy novels in your bag?

Xaysai

Inkling
Welcome to the site, Arhenvir. Feel free to dive right in to any of the forums. I had a ferret years ago - they are fun animals to have around!

What are the four fantasy novels in your bag?

Welcome, and yes - what are they?!

Good luck with your writing, and I look forward to seeing your work!

Arhenvir

Acolyte
Many thanks for the kind replies and welcome messages.

So the four fantasy books in my bag, in no particular order:

- The Rise of Nagash (anthology) by Mike Lee
- Orion: The Vaults of Winter by Darius Hinks

(The first two are Warhammer fantasy books. Until a year ago I didn't know Warhammer from a hole in the ground, but since my best friend started introducing me to the books to get started, I'm absolutely hooked. Such great writing.)

- With a Single Spell by Lawrence Watt-Evans
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

And the last two I found in my ship's lending library and the free section at the base library. And they are treasures.

Quick questions for the group:

How does the Mythic Scribes community come together outside of this website? Have there ever been any meetups?

Typhon

Dreamer
Arhenvir, welcome the forums as i to am green around these parts. I look forward to hearing some of your insight and discussions.

Cheers,

T